[2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification] Korea vs Syria 2016/09/06 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Sep 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm not saying that everything you said is wrong, but given your posting history the subtext is pretty obvious to see. Just come out and say what you want to say. Koreans are too timid/small/blah blah blah.

Ice cube repped this.
  2. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    i've had a philosophical shift recently, away from feel-good liberal notions, towards uncomfortable truths and i can entertain extremegamer's sentiments. it's a dangerous slippery slope but i think it's a fascinating topic when approached responsibly.

3. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    The funny thing is that our players typically play a lot better for their clubs than they do for the NT. Of course it's easier to play for your club, but in this case, the difference is bigger than that
    Han Joon Hee:

"Stielike's plan of attack is to have Ki pass the ball off to the side, after which Son forcefully cuts inside and tries to get players like Koo to score. There hasn't been any tactical progress in the last two years. Assistant Manager Carlos Armua is also working as the physio. The team should consider hiring a dedicated physio who can professionally manage the stamina and condition of the squad."

Ahn Jung Hwan:

"It was easy to foresee that Syria would park the bus and try to stall. The team should have prepared a more diverse set of attacking options."

Kim Ho:

"Stielike only uses the 4-2-3-1 formation. Since Ji is not a classic no. 9, Stielike could have used a 4-4-2 to counter Syria's physically big defenders."

Huh Jung Moo:

"There were too many pointless passes backwards and to the sides. The team did not utilize set pieces effectively."

Han Joon Hee was supportive of Stielike at first, but even he seems to have become critical of his work. The other guys that were quoted in that article all talk about how they weren't pleased with the tactical preparation leading up to the match. Stielike is not a good manager and he's not up to the standards of a perennial WC team, and I don't think I'm being impatient or unfair for thinking that.

Given all that, the fact that our team has gone largely undefeated against Asian teams should be a testament to the fact that we're still a good deal better than them. Yet somehow people give credit to Stielike. I just don't understand that line of thinking. I feel like too many people have been disillusioned by the KNT and are now chalking everything up to the players. Honestly, anybody who studies the game should know that Stielike is a shitty manager. Yeah we're bad, but that fact doesn't absolve an inept manager of his mistakes.

4. extremegamer

extremegamer Member

Jun 28, 2007
    I was replying to the gentleman who wanted to know why Korean soccer isn't improving despite different managers, players, and WC experience.

The KNT is controlled by people like you, who is either too proud or obstinate to believe that societal change can beget a stronger team ( and country ) in the long run.

5. extremegamer

extremegamer Member

Jun 28, 2007
    When playing against comparative or better-ranked teams, isn't this how Korea normally tries to attack? And then the players become shaky and disorganized when they are defending in their final third?

I know that Stielike has some flaws but this is a problem the team always had.

Chingoo repped this.
  6. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    Syria and China aren't comparative or better ranked teams though. I think HJM is trying to say that we should have been passing better considering that neither side is that good and that we've worked on it for so long. HJM gets a lot of shit but he did better than any of his successors, Stielike included. We were much better on set pieces, for one.

Sons of Thunder repped this.