[2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification] Korea vs China 2017/03/23 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    According to a news article I've just read, they first met Van Marvijk, then Stielike. They basically must've had several coaches on their list and just decided to go with the second candidate. The third on the list would've been Juande Ramos! They just had to meet one more person and we probably wouldn't be struggling now. But well, the weather was nice :rolleyes:

2. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Some folks weren't very fond of his management style, but realistically he was a good option for us. Also, keep in mind that he was heavily criticized by the public for wanting to stay in the Netherlands whilst have his assistants keep tabs and manage our domestic players, thus only coming to Korea on match days. Neither the KFA or the public were willing to accept his demands, but this wasn't and shouldn't have been a big issue to begin with, and only now they slowly start to turn heads after seeing the results he's getting for Saudi Arabia.

The biggest problem I have with the way Lee Yong-soo has been handling the whole managerial candidate process is that Stielike wasn't even a top choice to begin with, he technically failed to meet every criteria except for "English", so given the fact that he was even on the list makes me really question at exactly what Lee Yong-soo and the KFA were thinking to even suggest a third-rate manager with a long history of being sacked to even be listed.

chook90 and zdrstvte repped this.
  3. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    @komina12345 and @Seol Korea makes most of the good points, but here's my two cents. Van Marvijk just didn't fit what the KFA was looking for. They needed a showoff manager, one who would be going around in Korea 24/7 to show people that he was working hard, and one who would not have enough authority to challenge KFA, and Stielike was the perfect choice.

Tbh, I don't think Stielike sh*tting on K-League is that shocking, I mean the Asian league standard is pretty sh*t in general, and Halilhodzic has been very critical of J-League players too. The main problem is that as the manager he should not only be posing the questions but coming up with the answers.

wetcrispy repped this.
  4. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Originally there were about 2-3 candidates next in line after Van Marwijk who was number 1, but once the negotiation process broke down with Van Marwijk, those 2-3 candidates have reached an agreement with other teams and the Technical Committee had to scrap everything and start from scratch.

They still haven't released a statement on who the other candidates were, but the only confirmed candidate aside from Stielike is Ciro Ferrara. And remember, there were candidates already in line before Stielike to which all of them have already met with Lee Yong-soo, but for some god damn ludicrous reason, they were never contacted again when they were to be, and Stielike out of the blue becomes top choice.

Quoting Ciro's comments: "I really wanted the KNT job, but they already chose someone else". Which concludes that Lee Yong-soo shut the door on everyone the moment his feelings were swept away by Stielike's scheme and the weather.

5. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Criticizing the K-League is one thing. We know that it isn't the greatest quality. But expressing bewilderment that Jeonbuk and Seoul could make it to the semifinals of the ACL is another. It suggests that he thinks K-League is poor quality even by Asian standards, despite the pedigree in the ACL. Not only is it insulting, but, more importantly, it suggests that he didn't even do basic research. What on earth was he going to all the domestic league matches for then? How can the manager of the NT be so ignorant about the country's league?

skimmilk and Seol Korea repped this.
  6. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Tbf, I still think that's the journalists jumping on the bandwagon. Probs, out of context or something like that. Otherwise, why did they wait until now to make the 'expose'?

7. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Actually his remark about Seoul and Jeonbuk came about few months ago (November I think). We talked about here in BSK. If I can I'll try to find it.

8. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Here, it was around Oct 2016:

skimmilk, Seol Korea and Ice cube repped this.
  9. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #334 takeuchi, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Agreed.. not entirely sure about "answers" but at least come up with some options.

As for Van Marvijk, too subjective & hypothetical. What he achieved with Saudi Arabia is great for Saudi Arabia but that doesn't mean he is good fit nor will be successive manager for KNT (w/ better result compared to any previous KNT managers). Remember, Saudi Arabia went through multiple "big" name managers til they got lucky with Van Marvijk for current cycle.

On Lippi, while it is out of topic.. only one game. China defeated Korea for the 1st time in their history but China & their clubs paid Lippi ridiculous amount of money the past decade. In comparison, Stielike is getting paid peanuts .... Unless Lippi gets China to the World Cup or continue to get good results, the praise toward him (ex - China after AC & hope they had w/ Perrin or Stielike after AC by Korean media) is too hasty. It could just be nothing but initial boost after a managerial change for China...

On KNT & Korea.. honestly, you can bring any manager in the world and I just don't think result or whatever will be drastically different. Korea/KNT is stuck in a limbo... thanks to KFA & the whole system imo. I can compare Korea to a club like Bayer Leverkusen or whatever... just one of those situation, even with good manager & talented squad (or not even good squad of players).. they are always in the same situation, yr after yr except one or two bright spots.

10. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Second win vs Korea, first win was back in February 10, 2010 at the EAFF tournament under Gao Hongbo, Huh Jung-moo received criticisms for the loss to China.

takeuchi repped this.
  11. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Can it be that... whoever is in charge, if under that coach Korea loses to China, we go to round of 16 in world cup..

Observation: HJM's Korea loses to China.------> HJM's Korea reaches round of 16 at WC 2010.

Stielike's Korea loses to China--------> ???

Conclusion: Stielike will take Korea to round of 16 at WC 2018.

#science.

12. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Let's refrain from talking nonsense here. Huh Jung-moo's 3-0 loss to China was shocking and very disappointing considering that it was China's first time in their history to get a victory over us and thus breaking the 32 year winless drought, however things were already progressing and we were 28 consecutive matches undefeated under his tenure.

Stielike on the other hand.....

chook90 repped this.
  13. ConcernedK

ConcernedK Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Club:
    Busan I Park
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    How many times japan lost to china? Probably more than two.

14. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm pretty sure he took a B/C squad to that EAFF tourney as well. Just look at the scalps we took in the buildup to the WC, with just Spain beating us 1-0 by a late goal.

15. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The plan was working too. So much compliments esp compounded with fortuitous asian cup run.

16. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Huh Jung-moo took a B team albeit 50% of that squad was already the WC squad minus Park Ji-sung, Lee Young-pyo, Park Ju-young, Cha Du-ri etc., but it was still capable enough to beating China. Gao Hongbo on the other hand had a much younger squad consisting of mostly starters, but they have already been together for quite some time, perhaps even before Gao took charge.

Our woeful defense alongside Huh Jung-moo's tactical errors and decisions have costed us the loss, although our defense have been pretty solid up until the Zambia match, only except we were playing against teams that never really passed and or dribbled against our defense, and surprisingly China managed to do just that.

17. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Their head-to-head record vs China is 26P 9W 8D 9L.

LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  18. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Wow really? 9W 9L?

19. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #344 Seol Korea, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Wiki has it 25p 9W 8D 9L which doesn't even add up, whilst another site has it 36P 13W 8D 15L. Perhaps one of the fellow BSJ members can chime in on this.

EDIT: According to FIFA:

[​IMG]

20. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    WOW Japan plays really bad against China, huh?

21. Ice cube

Ice cube Member+

Seoul Utd
    May 4, 2014
    Club:
    Incheon United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Well don't forget Japan were pretty bad for a long time. They didn't qualify for their first WC until 1998 iirc. I think if you looked at the record post-2000 or something it looks a lot better.

Seol Korea, killaorca and LeeSeungWoo repped this.