2018 FIFA WC QLF, AFC: Group B

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Suren01, Apr 12, 2016.

1. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Aussies not very impressive, but they got the job done. UAE is too distant from the rest to have a chance. Hence, I expect them to gift Saudi three points. Not necessarily by laying down the game, but just not playing very motivated.

Very tight group. I think its going to come down to goal difference between the 2nd and 3rd placed team. Japan will qualify directly. And then a toss-up between Saudi and Australia for 2nd place.

2. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Who is the Referee in following matches ?

Iraq x Japan
    Thailand x UAE

3. TheShowStealer

Jan 15, 2011
    In Arabic or English

4. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    not one spoke english? regardless, context makes it pretty obvious. unclassy deliberate move by saudis.

having said that, why is australia holding the moment of silence NOW? this is a case of western imperialism. they are showing that western lives matter more than non western lives. this whole "global support" for western lives only while completely ignoring non western lives is not right.

terrorist attack?-->is it in the west?-->proceed to show support.

non terrorist attack anywhere-->dont show support.

terrorist attack not in the west-->dont show support

this is disgusting and tramples over all victims because it is a bunch of people who are using their deaths for their political agenda.

KiarashM repped this.
  5. Dejagah93

Dejagah93 Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Why didn't Nasser Al-Shamrani play?

Is the goal difference or head-to-head more important? I'm asking this because I believe that Saudi and Australia will have the same amount of points after the last matchday. If the goal difference determines who qualifies then I'll go with the Saudis because they'll beat UAE with many goals.

6. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Goal-difference is tie-breaker #1 in all FIFA competitions.

Dejagah93 repped this.
  7. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    When Japan beats Iraq, Japan will be on 19 points and would
    whatever you have...

8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Of the 8 people killed in London two were Australians. Forgive us for being parochial.

9. adelo

adelo Member

May 9, 2007
    Mother of Pigeons
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    But Australia's last game will be at home against unmotivated Thailand. I predict 6-0 but could go to double digits.

10. adelo

adelo Member

May 9, 2007
    Mother of Pigeons
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    KSA's only realistic chance for 2nd place is if Japan defeats Australia.

11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    But you have a realistic chance at first place if you beat UAE and Japan. You still have control of your own destiny and needn't rely on other results.

AIL1998 repped this.
  12. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    That was a pretty messy game by the Aussies, but still managed to get the job done. They look terrible in the first half, but much better in the 2nd (maybe this was because the Saudis faded so badly).
    At least now the Socceroos have 4 games against decent opponents (Brazil, Chile, Germany and Cameroon) before the next qualifier, to try and figure out whether this back 3 thing can actually work for them. Brad Smith needs to be banished for a very long time until he can get some decent club football under his belt. Aziz Behich who has been constantly left out of the national team lately despite playing good football in Turkey, comes back in and shows why he should have been there all along.
    Just need other results to keep falling our way to ensure that both of Saudi's remaining games are not dead rubbers.

13. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As they say, its better to win ugly than lose pretty. The back 3 formation hasn't convinced me. I don't think we have the personnel to pull it off. Sainsbury is a decent player, but looks lost at times without another central defender beside him. I guess the next few games will tell us if its a formation that we can sustain against top quality opposition. The signs haven't been good up to now.

14. TheShowStealer

Jan 15, 2011
  15. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    that i didnt know. carry on, then.

almango repped this.
  16. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can never be 100% sure in football. I know what you think. You think Australia will get 4 points from next 2 matches (Draw against Japan and win against Thailand), Japan beats Iraq and draw against both Australia and Saudi Arabia, and Saudi Arabia beats UAE and draw against Japan. Then Japan finishes first in the group and goal difference decides between Australia and Saudi Arabia. What you think is just a prediction but It is not guaranteed. Other scenarios are possible strongly because anything is possible in football.

Regard your last sentence, Saudi Arabia will not be sure how many goals they need to score against UAE to have goal difference advantage because their last game is a home game against Japan not UAE and Australia plays its last game against Thailand at home and they will almost know their goal difference before that match.

17. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, as almango said you have a realistic chance at first place if you beat UAE and Japan. You still have control of your own destiny and do not need to rely on other results.

at the moment just wait for the results of Iraq vs Japan and Thailand vs UAE matches. The results of those matches make the status of the group a little more clear.

18. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Japan will beat Iraq while UAE will beat Thailand
    Hence, Japan will be on 19 points, and UAE will be on 12 points
    After above result, both Thailand and Iraq will have nothing to play for and will give away results to other teams in remaining matches...
    Also, there's no motivation for Iraq to beat Japan, and Thailand to have a positive result against UAE so it's free 3 points for Japan and UAE.
    The crunch ties in the next stage will be UAE x KSA since in case of UAE winning the match, UAE will be back in the qualifyer and to clinch a 3rd spot which UAE will since Iraq match will give the UAE 3 points. Japan on the other hand would qualify with a win against Iraq and then the remaining matches will not have any sort of influence on Japan game, while Japan may let Aussie to have a draw or even a win against Japan in Home match which will mean that Saudi Arabia will miss out yet on another world cup in 12 to 14 years...
    I am sorry to think this but a draw against Australia would have had been a better result for Saudi than a loss since Saudi camp is a bit disappointed and demotivated while other camps for e.g., UAE and Japan as well as Australia have a lifeline now...

19. adelo

adelo Member

May 9, 2007
    Mother of Pigeons
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    @ AIL and Almango

True. But while Team KSA improved a lot recently, I still think we have a lot of work, especially in the back. Don't think we'll get 6 pts.
    Australia is also surprisingly vulnerable in the back. they let way too many goals this qualifiers. Thus a Japanese win is likely.
    1- it will make Australia's chances tougher.
    2- japan would have already assured qualification before meeting us.

20. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    A win over Iraq is not enough for Japan to Qualify. They will still need points from either the Australia or Saudi Arabia game.

21. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Australia has the advantage of facing an eliminated Thailand at home, while KSA has to play UAE in Abu Dhabi.

I think it will be narrow, but Australia and Japan will clinch the direct tickets.

22. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
  23. TheShowStealer

Jan 15, 2011
    This is 1 of the most reliable and respected sites properly that's why it's blocked in UAE
    Here is another 1
    https://islamqa.info/ar/120181

24. KiarashM

KiarashM Member+

Mar 2, 2014
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Karma is a bitch.

25. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Japan vs Australia match will be played before UAE vs KSA match. So Australia and Japan will not know the result of UAE vs KSA match when they play against each other. Both KSA and UAE will know the result of Japan vs Australia match before they play against each other.