2018 FIFA WC QLF, AFC: Group B

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Suren01, Apr 12, 2016.

1. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How? I think he Nawaf had impact on 9 goals out of 13 goals you have scored in this round so far. So are not you guys still worried with his suspension? Are his replacements as same level as him?

Bro, I want to be very honest with you. If you keep posting comments like that and keep mentioning the bolded part, nobody is going to put his hands together for you. In fact, some fans think you are not mature enough. Try your best to post non-bias comments because all teams have fans and their fans have emotion like us. I posted this comment because I like you:)

True, Mexico vs. Chile match in Copa America 2016 was also one of those recent crazy matches where Mexico lost 7-0. We all know that the gap between those two national teams
    is not 7 goals.

IMO Iraq should have changed its coach after the end of qualifiers or the next game. Mahdi Ali achieved all he could achieve with UAE. Anyway, with only 4 direct world cup slots and top teams of the continent Australia, Japan, South Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and even Uzbekistan, you cannot expect too much from second tier teams of the continent in WC qualifiers.

According to Iranian news agencies, Iraq FA is looking for a foreign coach and Marcos Paqueta is being linked to Iraq job.

They also said AFC confirmed the venue of Iraq vs Japan match which will be the same venue of Iraq vs Australia match.

UAE is not totally out of race but in my perspective, they need miracle even for third place. I give them less than 5% chance for third place. I expect them drop points at least in couple of their remaining games. IMO with top 5-6 teams of the continent, nobody should expect qualification for second or third tier teams of the continent. They can decide the fate of qualification but they will not qualify most likely. World cup expansion is good news for them. For me, It is 3 way race Australia, Japan, and Saudi Arabia.

Adapting to the place of the match and climate should be bigger issue. Not only Saudi Arabia played against Iran in Iran many times like 1996, 2000, and 2009, your clubs particularly
    Al Hilal Played regularly against Perspolis in front of 100000 fans. So the crowd pressure
    is not what you should be worried about. How about Nawaf suspension? Do you have any concern with his suspension or you are not worried with his suspension like Al ittihady and HiJazzey?

hammad_friend and KiarashM repped this.
  2. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, only three teams have chance for direct qualification Australia, Japan, and Saudi Arabia. There is possibility of finishing first, second, and third for any of these three teams at the moment.

Match-day 8:

Australia vs Saudi Arabia

This is the most interesting match of the group. The task for Australia is clear. They must defeat Saudi Arabia. Suspension of Nawaf Al Abid and return of Aaron Mooy and Tom Rogic will make them feel better before this match. If Australia wins, the race between three teams continue. If the match ends in draw, Saudi Arabia puts one foot in Russia. If Saudi Arabia wins it means they got the world cup ticket. It will be intense game. I think Australia is more favorite for this game but anything can happen.

Iraq vs Japan

Iraq sacked its coach. Does it mean easier game for Japan? Not necessarily. If Iraq draws/wins, It will be great help for Australia and Saudi Arabia. Japan must win to not put its direct qualification into jeopardy.

Thailand vs. UAE

Must win game for UAE if they want to keep their slight hope for third place alive.

3. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1128 AIL1998, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    IMO Australia must plan on getting nothing less than full 9 points from next three games. That does not necessarily mean you must have attacking approach for all three games. The next game is very important for Australia. The current status of Australia reminds me of Iran status in WCQs 2014 where we won the last three games and had to do that to qualify after losing to Uzbekistan.

almango repped this.
  4. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Yes, off course it's a concern. He's the creative player and there's no other like him in the present team that played all the matches so far. I am therefore, eager to see Ahmed Al Fraidy to join the national team since he's creative as well as Salem Al Dowsary but the national team selectors have other wild ideas and they are going for new faces in this all important match which can seal the fate of Saudi Arabia to be in the world cup if Saudi Arabia wins... Fraidy and Salem should definitely be in the team but have not caught the eye of Marwijk thus far. The replacement of Nawaf seems to be Jamal Bajandoh who is not that creative though he has good technical passing skills that creates good moves. Only time will tell what happens next.

5. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    That was in 2009. Not sure if that's really relevant given how this is a completely different Saudi squad.

(PS: That same team proceeded to choke in front of their own fans in the playoff vs. Bahrain).

6. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    @AIL1998 -
    As I said before. Nawaf replacements are plenty in the squad but difference is they can or cannot finish as him but yes they are good enough to create chances for the strikers and other team mates plus they have pace..So no worries as of now untill we loose another 1-2 player in ongoing league and ACL matches we have to injuries..

Regarding , KSA facing 50k plus fans..Its not new to them ..We have faced UAE in front of there home fans in Asian Cup finals, plus WCQ too in front of large crowds South Korea match in WCQ again..only minus is the hostilities from the fans which we can find in match against Iran..So, Australia atmosphere will be somewhat friendly but not hostile..

7. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    It was not choking, Bahrain was at her best at that time.

8. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Update:

FIFA lifted the ban for international friendlies. They've given us 3 months to organize friendlies and show that we are capable of hosting matches. If everything goes well, the ban will be lifted in time for the UAE match.

9. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Congratulations.

But due respect. If Iraq really wants to show they can host friendlies is by inviting teams other than the high obvious who will never say no to play in Iraq like Iran, Jordan or Syria for that matter. You can only prove worth if Iraq FA can manage to convince atleast a team from Far East say South Korea or Singapore, one from MiddleEast say Egypt or Tunisia and one low ranking Eurpoean team..

But again , Even if Iraq manages to play these teams and FIFA approves nod for Iraq hosting matches it would be unfair for Japan and UAE in there part.

10. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You're not going to get a hostile atmosphere in Australia.

11. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    How long have they been stringing you guys along? I can't see them making a definitive decision during this World Cup cycle.

12. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    I don't think it really matters who it is, although I understand your point. The thing is we have to prove that we can organize friendlies. It's not even about safety, more about the organization. If we succeed, I'm sure FIFA will lift the ban entirely.

Maybe just in time for UAE (they rather face us in Basra than in Tehran)

13. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I see there is a friendly against Jordan in Basra in a couple of weeks. I hope that goes well.

Suren01 repped this.
  14. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq

rooboy91 repped this.
  15. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    My service provider in UAE has suddenly removed Bein Sports channel from viewing. This channel was showing all the FIFA qualifying matches... Can you imagine that I subscribed specially for watching the matches and was paying AED 499/- monthly till yesterday when all of a sudden, the channel is gone and I am paying for nothing ... I called the service provider and asked the agent to provide me with an alternate channel or package on which I can see the matches OR refund me OR downgrade me since I don't want to pay 499/- for nothing... The agent was not able to help me in anything... Then I asked to register my complaint and the agent was stalling in registering the complaint even... I forced the agent to register a complaint on consumer rights law, etc. and finally it was done.

However, which Channel Or Package should I subscribe to (or downgrade my exiting Elife Sports Package to) that is offered by Etisalat (my service provider) in UAE when Bein Sports is taken off air by the service provider ?...

Please advise since I really wanted to see the match between AUS x KSA...

16. KiarashM

KiarashM Member+

Mar 2, 2014
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  17. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
  18. rooboy91

rooboy91 Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You could try accessing through a VPN if they are still blocking the Youtube channel on match day.

19. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    3 games coming up.

Australia v Saudi Arabia

A must win for Australia if they hope to qualify for Russia directly. Doesn't mean they will, but a draw or loss means they wont. For Saudi Arabia a point at least would pretty much see them through. If Australia win by 2 goals it puts them ahead of the Saudis on goal difference.

Thailand v UAE

Its all academic for Thailand who are playing for pride, but a win is essential for UAE if they want to get in to the playoff spot. Even with a win, they still need teams ahead of them to falter. On the plus side for them is the teams above them play each other so at least two of them must drop points. They still need to win and keep on winning.

Iraq v Japan

A win here for Japan I think will see them qualify, for certain if Australia don't win and only a point off if Australia do win. To miss out after a win would require Australia to win their last three, Saudi Arabia their last two, and the goal difference to turn around enough to see Japan miss out.

el-capitano repped this.
  20. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Saudi starting XI against Aussies -

[​IMG]

Two new faces on the flanks. Huge responsibilty onto them..I would have preferred Nassir in place of Sahlawi as the former has been in sharp form with Ain in recent days

21. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    What a mistake from the Saudi goalkeeper!!! GOAL Australia! 1-0

22. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Great start! Somebody at the other thread noticed, way before the game, that KSA goalie is shite and insecure - he already made two mistakes.

Go Socceroos!

MVP#3 and Suren01 repped this.
  23. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    So we lead 2-1 after pretty much being outplayed all game so far. Unless we can play a bit better the lead wont last.

24. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Salem is always an nightmare for Aussies - 1-1 Game On

25. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Typical game for Aussie team. Pass the ball around use ur body strength and score..