2018 FIFA WC QLF, AFC: Group A (4th)

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by AIL1998, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Genghis-Khan

Genghis-Khan Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Singapore
    Nat'l Team:
    Mongolia
    #901 Genghis-Khan, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    It's an overstatement. The top Saudi club players like Sami Al-Jaber and Osama Hawsawi failed even in non-top five leagues.

The four players you mentioned are also inferior to Japanese, Korean and Australian attackers who are well proven in the top leagues. Your best striker is struggling to score in Russia and second best striker had no impact in the English second tier. By the way, I'm worried about Azmoun. 0 goals in 8 games so far this season. Sadly his career has stagnated.

The three didn't contribute to winning Bundesliga at all. They weren't even bit-part players.
    Here is a good example of a key player for a Bundesliga winning side.

Kagawa (2012/13, Dortmund) - 31 games, 13 goals, 12 assists

Actually, Iranian players have an advantage when it comes to European transfers. Their transfer fees are cheap compared to Japanese/Korean/Australian players because players from the three countries are more proven than Iranian players in Europe.

Top 5 most expensive transfers in the past year. (source: transfermarkt)

Japanese
    1. Asano -> Arsenal (4M euros)
    2. Kamata -> Frankfurt (1.6M euros)
    3. Usami -> Augsburg (1.5M euros)
    4. Sekine -> Ingolstadt (1.15M euros)
    5. Yamaguchi -> Hannover (1M euros)

Iranians
    1. Mohammadi -> Akhmat Grozny (0.3M euros)
    2. Shojaei -> Panionios (0 euros)
    2. Rezaei -> Charleroi (0 euros)
    2. Rezaeian -> Oostende (0 euros)
    2. Hajsafi -> Panionios (0 euros)

Not really. He was never a fixed starter in the top leagues.

Dejagah vs Japanese attackers and midfielders in the top leagues. (I excluded Japanese defenders because defenders rarely get called up from the bench.)

Code:
            total appearances  sub appearances  sub appearances %   league 
    Dejagah               203               90              44.3%   Bundesliga, EPL
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hasebe                238               30              12.6%   Bundesliga
    Okazaki               196               42              21.4%   Bundesliga, EPL
    Kagawa                167               28              16.8%   Bundesliga, EPL
    Inui                  132               21              15.9%   Bundesliga, La Liga
    Kiyotake              121               17              14.1%   Bundesliga, La Liga
    Osako                  87               24              27.6%   Bundesliga
    Haraguchi              86               19              22.1%   Bundesliga
    Honda                  81               16              22.2%   Serie A

2. Genghis-Khan

Genghis-Khan Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Singapore
    Nat'l Team:
    Mongolia
    #902 Genghis-Khan, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    No. According to IOC, wrestling ranked low in popularity, TV audience, hits on the Internet, and press coverage.

3. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    if south korea gets 1 point against Iran and uzbekistan, and uzbekistan beats china, and syria beats qatar, in the last matchday Iran could send syria to the world cup ahead of south korea and uzbekistan. that would be hilarious. :D

4. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #904 AIL1998, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Regard the bolded part, I guess It started from here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/2018-fifa-wc-qlf-afc-group-a-4th.2035888/page-28

As you said he developed an inferiority complex against Iran after Amir14 posted the following comment:

Lol at the Mongol man barking at us. Mongolia is irrelevant in Asian football. They suck in other sports too. Know your place. :D

Then this was his response to him:

Don't be so rude to your former rulers. Did you forget that we destroyed and owned your country 800 years ago?

Then Ali(Iran) answered to his comment:

You have never ruled our country but yes you destroyed our country. But how is that working out for you now? No one even knows there is a Mongolia on the map!
    A bunch barbaric wild people attacked our country and killed lots of people and you are proud of it!!!!!!!!
    It shows you are still wild and barbaric only this time you don't have the power!!!!
    Look no one cares if once you had a blood thirsty wild idiot as your ruler.. You are irrelevant in every aspect now. Your nationality is still widely being used as an insult!!!!!! Just google it if you didn't know!!!!! Now shut up and don't bring up history... And don't write checks your a** can't cash!!!!

*I carefully read a few of his comments and it was obvious for me that he was trolling.

5. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #905 AIL1998, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Except the matches, I really do not have time and patience to talk about other things. That is why I am not going to answer to every single thing you said. I just say the following things:

1. We have a lot of talented players at the moment unlike WCQs 2014 that are at least at the same level of most players you mentioned if not better. Note that Ghoochannejhad had an interview a few days ago and said based on the stat he agrees that he was not good in England but he was used only as winger there not central forward. Despite that he still scored 4 goals.

2. Iranian players do not have the connections that Australian/Japanese players have. For example, Takuma Asano joined Arsenal straight from J league. He did not have even 5 caps when Arsenal signed him. Aaron Mooy is another example. There are many other examples.

3. Dejagah played more than 130 games for Wolfsburg before moving to Qatar and was very key player for his club. Again IMO he was much better than most players you mentioned.

4. Playing in Europe does not necessarily mean that the player is better then players that are playing in Asia. For example, the foreign players of Al Hilal and Al Ain are better than most Asian players that are playing in Europe. Another example is Omar Abdulrahman. For me he is head and shoulder above every single Japanese/Korean player except Son, Honda, and Kagawa.

I really do not care which sports are popular (according to you micky mouse) and which sports are not. When it comes to Olympics I just look at the final ranking. Iran ranking was 15 in Olympic 2012 and 25 in 2016 which shows that overall our country is a big country. From now on, please just talk about matches.

Zandi360 repped this.
  6. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match day 9:

China PR vs Uzbekistan
    South Korea vs Iran
    Syria vs Iran

7. William McRashid

Jan 22, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Please bro, don't feed the troll.
    I also started a serious discussion but he keeps trolling with nonsense and blind arguments.

KiarashM, AIL1998, +PL+ and 1 other person repped this.
  8. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As you said, just report him to the mods for off topics and they will take care of him/her.

9. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    whats hilarious is that this can still come true.

if iran choose to lose to syria, we can send syria directly to russia, and force south korea and uzbekistan to battle it out for the playoff spot.:D it feels good to be in charge of your own destiny, and others, for a change.:D

but we wont do that because syria in the world cup would embarrass asia, and also we want to make history: if we dont concede against syria, it will be the first time in HISTORY that an asian team does not concede a single goal in the final round of world cup qualifying. that is no small feat, how many qualification campaigns have there been? and this is the campaign with the most number of games, so it would make it even more impressive. we will go into the world cup with teams fearing us. however, to be realistic, this record will not mean too much in the world cup as the competition is simply on another level.

10. Dejagah93

Dejagah93 Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Happy with the draw. Didn't expect more after the red card in an away match vs Korea.

11. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    This group has become more exciting than Group B since the last round of matches have become unpredictable and suspense level is all time high where the match b/w Uzbekistan and South Korea can be a betting paradise if the result goes in your way while Iran is unlikely to surrender 3 points to Syria in home match to make a new qualifying record for any Asian Team. Unlike in Group B, suspense level is low and predictability is easy i.e., Australia are favourites to easily score minimum 4 to 6 goals against Thailand while the match between Japan and Saudi Arabia will be of no effect to Saudi. This is the general perception.

12. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia 4-0 Thailand means Saudi must win 3-0 or 3-1 . . . .is that an incentive?
    Australia 3-0 Thailand means Saudi must win 2-0 or 2-1 or 3-2. . . .is that an incentive?
    Australia 2-0 Thailand means Saudi must win by ANY score . . . .is that an incentive?

. . . plus they will know what their equation is 4 hours before kickoff.
    Australians will be in suspense and sweating after their match . . . . hard to see getting more than 4 goals past the Thais on a dry pitch . . . but the forecast is cold and wet ! (Tuesday, Melbourne 5°-12° with a few showers)

13. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    so my prediction for the Iran vs skorea game was 0-0 and i was correct.

but what do you do if you are syria?

option A: go for the win against Iran

if you win, you will be guaranteed a playoff spot, but that means you have to beat saudi and a CONCACAF opponent. you could also qualify directly IF skorea doesn't beat uzbekistan or has a high scoring draw with them.

but of course, if you play to win against Iran, you will likely end up losing. but even if you lose, you are still guaranteed a playoff spot (unless china beats qatar by multiple goals which is unlikely).

option B: defend like crazy to get 1 point.

this is much more realistic, but if you get 1 point and uzbekistan beats skorea, you will not even get a playoff spot. if uzbekistan does not beat skorea, you still wont have a chance of direct qualification. but i mean if you play for a draw there is always the chance of a lucky counter adn actually winning the game.

if i was syria i would just go for the win, i mean i would play defensive in general but go forward whenever i could, this is because even with a loss they will still most likely get a playoff spot (i dont see uzbekistan beating skorea nor do i see china scoring 3-4 goals against qatar). if syria just makes it to russia, their work is done. but if they play cautiously to go to playoffs, it is highly unlikely that they would overcome 2 sets of playoffs. so it is better for them to just try to take a chance in 1 game even if the opponent is tough, because as i said, even a loss will probably still guarantee them a playoff place anyways.

so i think syria will try to attack Iran and go for the win. this means that their defense will be exposed and we will probably score on them and win. so in practice, skorea will probably qualify directly but it will become a question of whether uzbekistan gets a draw or not (if uzbekistan gets the playoff spot or not).

14. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    lol the australian and saudi players will probably wear earphones the whole game with live updates of the other match.

*play for the draw the saudis still havent scored..*
    *oh shit saudi is winning, go for the win*
    *japan equalized, we just need one point, defend and avoid a thai goal at all costs*

15. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Australia will score 5 against Thailand

16. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    match is not being played at same time simultaneously, Australia's match will end 5 to 6 hours earlier than the kick-off between Saudi and Japan game. So, Saudi will know the required equation for direct qualification for Russian before the match starts and this is an advantage to Saudi Arabia. Japan on the other hand can also make it easy for Saudi Arabia by playing 2nd string players since this match is of no importance for Japan while Japanese players would love to keep their fitness and remain uninjured for their respective club commitments... Also, Japanese players won't play the match with interest in the hot 50 Degree Centigrade temperate in Jeddah hence, they will play the match as practice match as the result does not matter much to Japan.

17. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Sorry, i just realized that I posted on Group A forum...
    Mods, you can transfer my post to Group B forum if required. Thanks

18. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    lol WTF? ONLY AFC. the same shit happened in 2010 when you guys and nkorea played AFTER us, which means you knew what resulted you needed to knock us out and ensure your own survival, and that exact scoreline ended up occurring. this is a disgrace. it will be a big disadvantage to australia because now they are forced to go all out attack mode vs thailand, which means they might get hit on the counter. absolute disgrace.

19. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeh maybe we'll play the 2nd string players like Okazaki, Honda, and Kagawa, the 3rd, 5th, and 6th highest scorers in Japan NT's history :D
    And maybe Haraguchi who scored against you last time if I recall correctly. He only played a few minutes against Australia so should be fresh.

20. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
  21. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia

Well, no one believes Thailand to cause an upset in the last match against Australia and everyone know for sure that Australia will hit Thailand really hard... It will be a walk in the park for Australia against Thailand.

22. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does everyone call Uzbekistan chokers? Maybe it's just that they're overrated.

23. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    due to the manner they lose. they miss sitters/give up silly goals in important games despite playing well, and they do well until the end and uncharacteristically (relative to their previous results) lose. examples would be today against china, or for 2014 against jordan.

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit Uzbekistan - this team is killing me! Four losses out of the last 5 in qualifiers now! And what's even more shocking is that they can still qualify if they beat Korea. It seems like South Korea are just rolling out the red carpet for Uzbekistan to go ahead an qualify, and the Uzbeks just keep stumbling instead of walking straight over it. In what would be typical Uzbekistan luck, they'd actually beat South Korea on the final day, only for Syria to win in Iran and go through instead lol... serisouly though, the Syrians seem to be the only ones who want to qualify. Anyway, with 5 teams still in this (well I guess 4 as Iran have already qualified) - Sept 5 is going to be one hell of a day...

25. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Did yellow cards from the Round 2 of the Qualifiers carry forward to this current Round 3, or were they officially waived ? I am hoping very much it is the latter, but i would like to see a link to something that said that it happened this way.