2018 FIFA WC QLF, AFC: Group A (4th)

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by AIL1998, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Honestly 4.5 is just fine for AFC. I don't want Iran to make it if they can't qualify as it is.

Corrupt FIFA never cease to disappoint. First Qatar 2022, now this.

2. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    considering 48 teams, I do think AFC should get more spots. This is not because I think AFC is being under represented, but because overall increase in spots. 5.5 or 6.0 is good. The rest (8.0-5.5= 2.5) should be distributed amongst UEFA and CONMEBOL or CAF

3. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final match-day will be more interesting for sure. The bolded one will be a very big surprise.

4. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #679 Mani, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Team Melli's Persian New Year celebration, just before the Qatar match.

5. Ali(Iran)

Ali(Iran) Member+

Mar 31, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Definitely Not. I believe 32 is just fine. FIFA believes in spreading football. But at what cost? At ruining the world cup for everyone?

+PL+ repped this.
  6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also believe in "democracy" which also comes at a cost... it means giving every confederation an equal vote regardless of strength, size, or population.. and means people looking for votes from those confederations will make outrageous promises to them in exchange for votes. The confederation with the largest number of teams is Africa, and ironically they were probably the biggest winner of the expansion,so read between the lines there...

7. KiarashM

KiarashM Member+

Mar 2, 2014
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    8 AFC spots means basically that Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, UAE and China will qualify as well.

8. kung_fu_kicks

kung_fu_kicks New Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    My observation on the China-Iran game.

Iran has a good defense but their attack isn't dangerous at all even at Asian level. They have scored only 6 goals in 7 games (average 0.86), which is quite embarrassing considering that even UAE and Iraq have more goals scored than Iran. They won't survive on the world stage with such a toothless attack and limited talents compared to other Asian top dogs. They will most likely face another group stage elimination in 2018 and extend their 16-year winless streak in the finals. I don't know why Iranian fans are so confident. Imo Korea was a tougher opponent and we were a bit lucky to beat them.

As for China, money doesn't win games when it comes to international football. We need to learn from our neighbors (Japan/Korea) who have better youth systems than us. Based on my experience, football is more popular in China than in Japan and Korea. But we really lack the infrastructure at the grassroots/provincial levels to identify talent that was missed at the early stages. We also lack the incentive for these kids to keep playing because of a dearth of affordable schools and academies to join, and other socioeconomic factors that are unique to China. Our team still has a long way to go. :(

9. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    My observation:

Persepolis scores way more than Atletico Madrid

Persepolis attack > Atletico Madrid attack

10. Ali(Iran)

Ali(Iran) Member+

Mar 31, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Well I gotta say your observation couldn't be more wrong! We score when we need to score! We have strikers who unlike what you said are not so toothless after all! Sardar is definitely by far more dangerous than any striker china has ever had and will ever have! Our other strikers are also much better than others. The thing isis the way we play with the likes of china is not the way we will play againt the likeslike of Chile which we beat by 2 goals! Just like the way a lion would hunt a rabbit is not the way it would hunt a cheeta! Asian teams don't even manage to come close to scoring! And they let us play ping pong with their goal keeper. So our strikers know no matter what, they are going to get another chance!
    You don't know why we are so confident? Well ask me! Because at this stage, there is no team that can pose us a threat! Take a look at the table again!
    You still have a long way to go. You need 8 spots for asia in the World cup to qualify, and we would qualify if there was only one spot for AFC! That is the reason why we are so confident and why you shouldn't be.

PS. China has scored only 3 goals!!!!!!!! Wow!

Amir14 and KiarashM repped this.
  11. Ali(Iran)

Ali(Iran) Member+

Mar 31, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Nepal has also scored 7 goals in their last 5 matches! Does this mean they have better strikers than we do? According to the chinese guy it does:D

Zandi360, Amir14 and KiarashM repped this.
  12. Amir14

Amir14 Member

Mar 10, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Koreans have been silent on this forum. We let them know their place. Hahaha.

Lol at the Mongol man barking at us. Mongolia is irrelevant in Asian football. They suck in other sports too. Know your place. :D

13. Ali(Iran)

Ali(Iran) Member+

Mar 31, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Those who remember me from previous world cup discussion group know that I had a great relationship with the idiot Bosnians :ROFLMAO:
    I promised them that 2014 is gonna be their first and last World Cup:))))
    I have their accounts and I will send every single one of them a message reminding the of what I had promised earlier:))))

14. KiarashM

KiarashM Member+

Mar 2, 2014
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I'd like a rematch against Bosnia to see who's the better team now. I doubt we would lose 3-1 this time.

+PL+ repped this.
  15. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #690 Zandi360, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Hehe although I don't disagree with him that we should have scored couple of goals on China, even on Qatar. Our strikers did not finish well, but at least we know they know how to finish one out of all the chances to win the game lol. We currently have the best balance between offense and defence of all AFC teams.

But any team outside the top 4 would offer their kidneys to even get our 3rd or 4th choice forward, so his remark is very funny :D

Anyways don't pay attention or waste your time

KiarashM repped this.
  16. SultanL

SultanL Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Group A

The most outstanding team in Asia right now without a shadow of a doubt is Iran nurtured by coach Carlos Queiroz after they made it a clean sweep in Group A.
    They had proved very hard to score against, that it's due to the side's powerful defensive ability with a discipline based approach.
    As Qatar pressure increasing, a solid defence which has been marshalled superbly and the team performed well as a unit once again against China.
    Without conceding a goal in consecutive games indeed a remarkable achievement for Asian standards, upped South Korea's 1990 qualifying campaign record (more minutes).

Awkward moment when South Korea's struggles during a qualifying, It's just something completely different about Korean football what it's used to.
    A negative result in the first and they sweated it out last game as the Syrians gave them a run for their money.
    A relatively average performance. However, so far managed to hang on to second place.

As well as Uzbekistan vastly underperformed in both matches, although they stepped up their chances of going to Russia with important victory against Qatar (showed much better in the second half).

Late winner against Uzbekistan secured three valuable points.
    But it was against South Korea when Syria produced their finest qualifying display, especially second half that the veteran Firas Al Khatib who is a great player by the way marked his return to his national team as super-sub again and gave South Korea a fright (also came off the bench for minutes against Uzbekistan and was responsible for winning injury-time penalty).

China raised their game against the Koreans but offered little to trouble their opponent in the second almost anonymously in an attacking sense.

Qatar has had some moments against Iran while had faded dramatically in Tashkent.

Iran may now need to win one match to ensure their place in the finals of the World Cup.
    It will be a tough battle between South Korea and Uzbekistan for that second qualification spot.
    Syria proved the never-say-die spirit and you never know what can happen in football.
    However, for those who do not know. Syria were by no means a minnow, not even once, they always were in the 2nd tier among asian teams. In fact, they had a run in the 1974 and 1986 qualifiers and was a strong contender at the time.
    China just took its first step back on the Asian map, has a potential to be a strong team again in a few years.
    And Qatar's surprisingly had a disastrous campaign with finished bottom of the group.

Mani, KiarashM, Spinoza99 and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Genghis-Khan

Genghis-Khan Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Singapore
    Nat'l Team:
    Mongolia
    0.86? Impressive stats for the best strikers in Asia according to Mr Zandi360. I forgot to mention it, but Ghoochannejhad and Ansarfard were extremely poor in the second tier of the major leagues. Ghoochannejhad - 3 goals/38 games in the Championship. Ansarfard - 0 goals/16 games in the Spanish second division. And yet Iranian fans still say they are better than the likes of Son, Okazaki and Osako who have done well in the top tier of the major leagues. Wow. By the way, their first goal against Qatar in Tehran was lucky, so their real average goals is 0.71, not 0.86. Their firepower is far beyond the level of Asia.

Iran, UAE and Iraq play in the same competition but Persepolis and Atletico Madrid don't.

Don't be so rude to your former rulers. Did you forget that we destroyed and owned your country 800 years ago?

18. KiarashM

KiarashM Member+

Mar 2, 2014
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    [​IMG]

Zandi360 and Mani repped this.
  19. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Half of Team Melli players swore they were so irritated at the grassrolling and poor field conditions and sportsmanship Syria showed that they want to crush them in Tehran regardless of what the group looks like.

I think it was Taremi/Gucci in the post gane interview.

20. KiarashM

KiarashM Member+

Mar 2, 2014
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    FIFA Ranking April 2017:

[​IMG]

chook90 repped this.
  21. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  22. Ali(Iran)

Ali(Iran) Member+

Mar 31, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You have never ruled our country but yes you destroyed our country. But how is that working out for you now? No one even knows there is a Mongolia on the map!
    A bunch barbaric wild people attacked our country and killed lots of people and you are proud of it!!!!!!!!
    It shows you are still wild and barbaric only this time you don't have the power!!!!
    Look no one cares if once you had a blood thirsty wild idiot as your ruler.. You are irrelevant in every aspect now. Your nationality is still widely being used as an insult!!!!!! Just google it if you didn't know!!!!! Now shut up and don't bring up history... And don't write checks your a** can't cash!!!!

23. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I admit that I was one of those many people. Going back to my prediction before start of this round, It shows that I was wrong only about China (I expected them a little more) and Syria out of 12 teams. Before start of this round, I thought they are weakest team of this round even weaker than Thailand. Many fans in BigSoccer thought Syria is minnow before start of this round. For example, a Qatari fan (I think qatarigunner) rated them as minnow before start of match-day 3 and here is what Korea coach Uli Stielike said about them couple months ago (http://indianexpress.com/article/sp...d-no-more-slip-ups-says-uli-stielike-4587787/):

“No one would have expected that Syria would collect that many points after six matches. It’s surprising, but Syria’s current position shows they are not an easy team.”

By researching more about Syria football, looking at their football history and recent results and performances, you SultanL are right about them. Many fans including me were wrong about them. We all respect to Syria now.

Note that although Syria is better than Thailand, but I still think It was better for Iran to have Syria in its group instead of Thailand because Iran usually has tendency of dropping points against teams that are non-factor in the group like current Thailand team. Iran dropped points against Syria, but at least Syria is not non-factor and they also got points from our rivals.

24. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It is rumored that one of the best players in Saudi League, Omar Al Somah will be representing Syrian NT for rest of WCQs. He is a very good forward. This will boost up Syrian team.

25. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not a rumor. He agreed to represent Syria NT from now on.