2018 FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup Uruguay

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by toad455, Mar 21, 2016.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #526 blissett, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    If it was to me, I would have given it to Eva Navarro. I wouldn't go as far as comparing her with Karl-Heinz Rummenigge as @hotjam2 did, but in my opinion she dominated the Right Wing position in a way that I've seldom seen in women's football (reminded me a little of Shanice Van De Sanden in her best moments, at Euro 2017 with Netherlands or in the final of Champions' League 2018 with OL). And she even showed that she can switch side if needed (in the semifinal vs New Zealand she played on the Left Wing for about 10-15 minutes in the second half).

FIFA panel mostly preferred players that have actually scored goals, but Eva Navarro delivers in another way, by making her team-mates score.

Yes, Cata Coll was quite good but she had her quota of "what the heck?" moment, like when Mexico scored from CK in the final. Leat looked overall more reliable.

Well, even when a tournament goes downhill, Japan never misses this particular trophy. :)

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The video-highlights from New Zealand-Canada actually were there, just a little more difficult to find than the others:

This Grace Wisnewski looked impressive: could have easily had an hat-trick. The first goal was a gift, but the second one was a very good shot, as it was the one that hit the post in 2nd half.

As in the semi-final vs Mexico, the action of the first goal started from a mistake from that absolut disaster of a defender that Maya Antoine is: she consistently looked like a liability on the Left-Side of Canadian defense.

Anyway, as I had noticed in the game vs Japan, New Zealand's pressing is excellent and the players often force blunders from opponent defenses with their impressive speed and stamina. They're also very physical, but not necessarily in a "dirty" way (although I'll notice that they collected three YCs in the 3rd place match, and a total of 8 in the whole tournament: third place tied with Canada itself, that anyway had a RC also, behind Mexico with 10 and Cameroon with 9).

These final videos are the first one where I actually get to see the mascot of this Uruguayan U-17 WWC: what kind of animal was it? :laugh:

3. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    sorry, don't know who Marc is, my broso knowledge is limited. lol. Wonder why she was moved over to the left as she looked so much better coming down the right?

am I not the only one that wasn't that impressed with Spain? I mean. great 1st half team, but went flat in the 2nd(this isn't the first time they've done that)
    but we still boast partially(2nd place), Texans Perez & Reyes were arguably the best players on the squad. Beto would be proud:thumbsup:

blissett repped this.
  4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Quite interestingly, they had the same pattern at U-20 level. Remember when they went from 2-0 to 2-2 vs USA at group stage? And all of the times when they had underwhelming second halves in that tournament? (For instance, France almost caught up with them in the semi-final, but then Katoto missed a PK).

It looks like Spanish youth NTs tend to be "first half team". Can it have anything to do with the preparation and conditioning strategies they have in common at all levels? :coffee:

5. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    sbahnhof, blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  6. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    FINAL RANKINGS
    1. Spain
    2. Mexico
    3. New Zealand
    4. Canada
    5. Ghana
    6. Japan
    7. Germany
    8. North Korea
    9. Brazil
    10. Cameroon
    11. United States
    12. Colombia
    13. Finland
    14. Uruguay
    15. South Korea
    16. South Africa

blissett repped this.
  7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Based on the play I saw this has the US ranked too high. However I guess the rankings are based on nothing subjective and just on scores in the matches and the US did luck into three goals against Cameroon.

I do not at all like rankings like this where teams that never played are ranked based on results against other when they have nothing except score to rely upon. But I guess they will always get presented when the only thing that really has any meaning is who finished 1-4 and who got out of their group. I think all teams that failed to advance at each level should be considered the same and "ranked" as tied at the appropriate level.

I know that would mean that a team with zero points could be ranked equal to a team with 3 or 4 points but I think that any ranking system that says that all groups have equal value is simply flawed and saying they are not equal is equally flawed and since there really is no way to rank the play in one group against another then the only thing that matters is advanced or not advanced and results in the group stages should only reflect that.

That means that everyone that did not advance would be tied for last place and everyone that lost in the quarters would be tied for fifth and the others are clearly placed according to the results in the semis and third place match and the finals.

blissett repped this.