2018 FIFA Club World Cup: Tournament News & Qualifiers [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Until the 1980s, if the aggregate result was draw, there was a third match at a neutral country.

EvanJ and Paul Calixte repped this.
  2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Happened a few times in the UEFA Cup because of fan behavior.
    1986: Second leg was switched from Köln to Berlin.
    1990: Second leg was switched from Firenze (Fiorentina) to Avellino.
    1995: Second leg was switched from Torino (Juventus) to Milan.

NaBUru38 repped this.
  3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Latest updates:
    https://en.as.com/en/2018/11/28/football/1543405077_578626.html
    :D - I'm sure @glennaldo_sf won't mind the Libertadores decider in his backyard since he can't travel to the UAE for the CWC.

I do wonder what will happen if Boca use all means of legal recourse, first within CONMEBOL (appeal) and then CAS. Could it all be done before Dec 8/9?

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  4. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would be awesome... have already seen Boca in their own backyard, but one can only hope...

5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that counts (moving to a venue other than the home stadium of a club involved), just last year we had the Concacaf League Final second leg at Costa Rica's National Stadium, when Santos de Guápiles are based in the Caribbean province of Limón. But that was because Santos's home field doesn't meet Concacaf requirements for hosting continental matches.

6. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it looks like the Bernabeu is the final stop in this year's Copa Libertadores - yes, that's right, the tournament named after those who fought to free their countries from Spanish control will finish in the king's backyard. :D

Man, UEFA's winning streak in the CWC was bad enough, but now they've gone and emasculated Conmebol by helping them to finish their own championship :ROFLMAO: OTOH, this puts us one step closer to an eventual global Champions League...

Nico Limmat, HomietheClown and unclesox repped this.
  7. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Historic season for the city of Madrid. Six months after hosting the CONMEBOL Libertaores final (Bernabeu) they will also host the UEFA Champions League final (Metropolitano).

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As crazy as it sounds to certain weird people here who think that I always want matches in the USA....
    ... Madrid is probably the best place to host it.

As much as I would have loved to see it in Miami Gardens the Security there would not have known how to control such an event.
    I have heard of horrible brawls in the stands during friendlies between River and Boca fans in South Florida,,,
    ,,,and those teams were not even playing the games those days.( It was the Argentina National team.:p)

For a Copa Libertadores Final the crazies would come out that is for sure. Too many fanatical Argentinean fans in Miami.

9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To be fair there are brawls with all rivalries. I remember when I was attending UCLA and went to a few football games vs SC, and there were fights breaking out by grown adults, which I am pretty sure were never students at either school.

The same could be said if you go to a Dodger v Giants game or Yankees v Red Sox.

And I’ve mentioned this in our forum, if the game is played in the US, being granted a visa for entry to the US could be l difficult if one has some type of criminal record. And on short notice as well? You can forget it.

The LA Coliseum will be open for the 8th and 9th. Or maybe even the Rose Bowl on the 8th. You can jam in a ton of people in those places and charge a premium.

HomietheClown repped this.
  10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar would be ideal as we never have any problems with fans... in fact, we use air-conditioners instead...

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    So the final participant will be known a mere three days before the tournament begins on December 12. Don't think we had that before. I remember on two occasions the J. League winner (as host) wasn't known until 4-5 days before the CWC.

Not sure I follow. Don't think the Schengen visa process looks too kindly on criminal records either.

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Apparently Spain has an Argentine community of 80,000 plus. I'm sure quite a few of those will find their way to the game.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes. But I am sure security will be much more prepared for it.
    At least I would hope.

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #216 Nico Limmat, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    It also means that the Bernabeu will have hosted final matches in the following competitions:

- World Cup (1982)
    - Euros (1964)
    - Intercontinental Cup (1960, 1966)
    - UEFA Champions League (1957, 1969, 1980, 2010)
    - Copa Libertadores (2018)

It doesn't get much better than that. Truly a ground blessed with football history.

Also, according to CONMEBOL Spain has an Argentine community of more than 250,000 - the largest in the world. From that point of view the venue makes a lot of sense. I'm even getting my hopes up that some of those will make the trip to the UAE. :D

Unfortunately, with this precedent set, look for CONMEBOL to stage the (future single match) more often abroad, outside South America. They won't have an issue selling yet another chunk of their soul. Look for Miami as early as 2020 (next year will be in Santiago, Chile).

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    [​IMG]

Of course, the big question is has Boca agreed to play? I understand River are also appealing the decision.

18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    AlbertCamus repped this.
  19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #219 Nico Limmat, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    16 days to go until W2-CONMEBOL...

Copa Libertadores in doubt again as River Plate refuse to play in Madrid:
    https://news.sky.com/story/copa-lib...river-plate-refuse-to-play-in-madrid-11569162

Infantino does not want Copa Libertadores final to become trend:
    https://www.goal.com/en/news/an-exc...does-not-want-copa/1h6sh51f4qh5d18gzv93or1dph

Trend? If it takes place at all. Frankly, if either club drags this to the CAS (I presume the CONMEBOL appeals committee will shortly announce their decision) I don't see how this game can take place in one week. CONMEBOL could look even more incompetent. Why announce the site and date when you can't convince the teams?

Maybe @glennaldo_sf will have the last laugh and this gets played short-notice in Doha on the 13th or 14th of December in front of a crowd of 10K or less. Assuming FIFA is ok with the game taking place after the CWC has started.

What a farce.

Anyone worried that Real Madrid is scheduled to receive "free scouting" of their CWC opponent at the Bernabeu needs to rethink their position. At this point I don't see whoever is going to show up in the UAE progressing to the final. They will be mentally and emotionally drained after whatever absurdity plays out.

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they won't play in Madrid, then why would they be willing to play in Qatar? Wasn't the reason for not going to Madrid was that fans wouldn't be able to travel that far? We the Italian Supercoppa a couple of times played at our 12,000 seat stadium lol, so this would be pretty cool. Now the 60,000 seat Khalifa Stadium is open so they would play it there.

Anyhoo, I wonder if Conmebol ever considers just making the Copa Libertadores a 1 game final played at a neutral or rotating pre-arranged venue like the European Champions League is done. Personally, I find the one-game final to be a lot more exciting than the 2 legged affair, and I do believe whoever is hosting the 2nd leg has a slight advantage as if the game goes to extra time or penalties, they'll host that too. Anyhoo, just my two cents on that....

21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    In my scenario the CAS has more time to take a decision. Once that verdict is delivered there is no avenue for recourse and both clubs would be staring at a forfeit loss if they don't play (assuming the CAS backs CONMEBOL). I then predict a scrambling to play the second leg and Doha would be the prime candidate in my opinion, given its proximity to the UAE. Unfortunately it would feel more like a "CWC qualifier" than an event in and of itself. It would be played with very little notice.

Already done. Effective next year. The first single game host will be Santiago in Chile.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This is just one big Novela.

There will be many plot twists and turns and someone is going to be angry no matter what the outcome is or what transpires.

Bring me the popcorn.

23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Not everyone. Not the winner of CWC match number two in Al Ain. :D

The press accreditation process has begun:
    http://www.conmebol.com/es/abierto-...-juego-final-de-la-conmebol-libertadores-2018

There is an ostrich-sized egg hovering over the CONMEBOL executives' face if this game doesn't happen in Madrid.

24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, and now they'd have to refund the RM fans who already bought tickets as well.

25. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the ones that bought plane tickets and hotel reservations?

I don't see how they can move it....