2018 Div. 1 NCAA Tournament Round 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by McSkillz, Nov 9, 2018.

1. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also there are at least five people in attendance, not four.

blissett repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    One could argue that the one not sitting was just a passer-by. :giggle:

soccersubjectively repped this.
  3. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In terms of your criteria I'm curious why Penn State and Florida are not in your top tier. I am familiar with both schools and both have excellent academics, present student-athletes with a high probability of success in college as well as many options on & off the field for post-college. I am not speaking to Texas A&M because I don't have a lot of familiarity with that school.

Is it the playing style and coach you're dinging Florida & Penn State on? If so, that is pretty subjective. Erica Dambach at PSU and Becky Burleigh at UF have both had tremendous success. A friend of mine is friends with Burleigh and although I haven't been a fan of the ungainly roster sizes she sometimes keeps, I have been told by friend and others that she is a pretty good coach and person. I've heard the same about Dambach. Additionally, both have been in their positions for a good period of time and don't appear to be going anywhere. Stability counts for a lot.

Is it the fact that neither school, in recent history, have put a lot of players on National Teams? (this is the "options on the field post College" of your criteria) That can be quantified but realistically how many players are going to get the chance to be NT players? Also, it's not like PSU or UF haven't had NT players. Both schools have had, at various times, players in the NT pool. If a player is looking to play professionally post-college both schools have had players go on to play professionally and players are prepared well to play professionally, either domestically or overseas, if that is what they want to do.

In terms of academics, if you believe either school is sub-par, you would be sorely mistaken. It's true that they're not at the level of Stanford, Virginia, the Ivies, U of Chicago, Wash U, Emory, Williams, or other D3 institutions. However, not many schools are at those levels.

My kids are student-athletes and currently play or have played intercollegiate athletics. For one of the "acid tests" used for school selection I told them to ask themselves this question: If on your very first day of training you were injured and not able to play again, would you want to remain at this school for your studies? Another question was this: If after your first season your coach left for another position or was fired, would you want to remain at this school? They had to answer "yes" to both questions or the school was not a possibility. Too many kids that commit to a school are only looking at the soccer aspect. Once they decide that they don't want to play soccer anymore they realize that they really don't like the school all that much. Everyone knows that women's soccer at the D1 level has a fairly high rate of attrition in terms of players not playing all 4 years. If a player is at either PSU or UF, they would be at outstanding schools if they chose not to play or couldn't continue to play.

4. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The poster is an ACC guy, and Pa. State and Florida are not ACC schools. That seems to be the gist of it.

5. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    The entire premise is subjective, obviously.

Number007 repped this.
  6. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Thats why we all have opinions. I dont r
    everything here is an opinion no? most are subjective. I would not call it dinging, but you are entitled to your choice of words.

I see forums as places for debate, no more. I respect that your have a differing view. All good with me.

7. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I also dont really see any evidence of what you suggest. Im a soccer guy. Your somewhat tribal suggestion is totally false.

8. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    You said ..

In terms of academics, if you believe either school is sub-par, you would be sorely mistaken. It's true that they're not at the level of Stanford, Virginia, the Ivies, U of Chicago, Wash U, Emory, Williams, or other D3 institutions. However, not many schools are at those levels.

My Tier 1 is pretty small. Maybe the only disagreement we have is how big Tier 1 is. ?

And to Mr He's an ACC guy - USC, UCLA , Stanford are all clearly Tier 1 so what is your point ?

9. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    You don't think Florida and Pa. State should be in the top 10 but don't say who you'd put in their place. Beyond that, as has been noted, your criteria is certainly subjective and silly--post-college options? coaching? Pa. State and Florida, to name two, have won national championships, have excellent coaches/playing styles and good academics. I doubt anyone's options have been limited by their decisions to attend those schools. It's fine to have a subjective opinion about a subjective list, but your reasons were pretty vague and arbitrary.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  10. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    the desire some have to insult others opinions is enlightening. Subjective like EVERY list out there. Silly, your opinion,. The hostility some show on forums i just dont get.

I guess its better to say nothing to allow people like you to rule the internet or face insults for simply stating an opinion.

11. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    By the way. I believe i said they would not be in my Tier 1 . Dont think i would put anyone in their place. In my opinion they a re not in the class of the others. Same way i dont think WVU is in the same Tier as Pa State or Florida.

12. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm not seeing a lot of hostility shown toward you. Perhaps the "silly" comment was unwarranted but that is hardly showing hostility.

I think what l"Orange would like to see, and I would as well, is what schools you consider to be tier 1. This is a forum so share your opinion. You've opined that PSU and UF aren't tier 1. Let's hear what schools are tier 1. Stanford is a given. Earlier you also mentioned UCLA and USC. Any others?

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.