2018 Div. 1 NCAA Tournament Round 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by McSkillz, Nov 9, 2018.

1. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Wow--that is a big win for Va. Tech. Will have to check the stats.

I was no fan of Miss. State getting in the tourney, but in their defense today they apparently dominated the game--shots 13-0 in the first half, 21-9 for the game with corners 13-0--but could not put the ball in the net and Lipscomb stole a victory with a goal in double OT.

The worst lost of the day belongs to Boston College--fourth place ACC team giving up 4 goals to mighty Hofstra and getting bounced.

The Wake Forest v. Ohio State game was very even throughout, with the Deamon Deacons managing to score the only goal--good run, good through pass, good finish--with only seconds left in the first OT.

2. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Well well... looks like the ACC proved their worth! 8 of 10 teams won, and Lville gave Bunny Shaw and Tenn a real scare. Only dud was BC, which shocked me. I’m surprised Vtech won. Somethings wrong with Texas. On paper their loaded, but never materialize.

3. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WSU Morgan Weaver super nice shot! 2-0 Montana

4. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Duke loses Karlie Paschall for the year. ☹️ No reason given

5. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    What should be my realistic expectations of the LSU Lady Tigers entering this tournament?

Should I bother going to the Boston vs LSU game or will I leave disappointed?

6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Well, are you driving 30 minutes or flying cross country? Of course you should go--they've been playing well.

7. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Texas was without its best attacking player--Big12 offensive player of the year, no less--for most of the game. She came in late. That's something. Still....no excuses!
    Also RE Mississippi State, they had two goals called back. Football can be cruel and capricious...but no excuses!

8. Lagadema

Lagadema Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Hey mpr2477, unc and clemson haven't played yet. 6 out of 8 isn't bad though. Hopefully you'll b able 2 repost later on 2day.

9. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Indeed, BC was a huge surprise. In looking at the stats, BC out-shot Hofstra 28-6 had 10 corners, and put 8 shots on goal. Hofstra had 6 shots total and 4 on goal all of which went in. It looks like goal keeping may have been the difference with 0 saves from BC and 7 saves from Hofstra's two keepers. From a distance it looks like one of those off games where one team dominates but the other wins, but one without being there to judge in person, that is not certain. First round upsets do happen.

Out of 26 personal entries and 6 entries in the Machine division in the bracket contest only one entrant called Hofstra. Congrats to NilamCA.

10. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    My location is accurate. 45 minute drive since LSU is hosting. Hoping for the best!

11. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    #36 WWC_Movement, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Devon Kerr doesn't get any "run support" from her team.
    That's a baseball quote, for those that don't know.

Her team doesn't get her any goals.
    0-0 at the end of regulation against Nebraska in the Big Ten tournament.
    0-0 still at the end of extra time against Nebraska in the Big Ten tournament.
    2 saves in penalty kicks. Still a defeat.

0-0 against Wake Forest at the end of regulation, and throughout nearly the 1st OT.

She goes like 209 consecutive minutes in regulation without giving up a goal against Nebraska and Wake Forest, and does not get to advance in either tournament.

Ohio State needs Bunny Shaw.

At least if Kerr does play in NWSL or any pro league, she'll have better offensive players to count on, so she won't have to keep pitching clean sheets in every single regulation.

In the last 12 games of her college career, she never gave up more than "one goal".
    Only a small handful of goalkeepers can say that.

12. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Boston College could have used Devon Kerr in goal.

13. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Bummer

mpr2477 repped this.
  14. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Haha, yes I forgot about those two teams. I expect them both to win, although Ole Miss has Kizer, and she's deadly.

15. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Ruptured Achilles, per the Duke Chronicle. :(

16. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Because no one mentioned it and it was an early game, USC completely throttled a good Long Beach side 6-0. 6 different goal scorers and a new school record for margin of victory in an NCAA tournament game. Nice bounce back from the tough double OT loss to UCLA

HeadSpun and McSkillz repped this.
  17. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Central Connecticut up on Gtown 1-0 at the half!! Cmon CCU!! :)

18. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Georgetown will really screw up my bracket if they lose this.

19. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Clemson goes down. Not a fan of their style & glad to see it not be rewarded in this case.

HeadSpun repped this.
  20. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Ole Miss representing the SEC with a nice away win at defensive-minded Clemson tonight. I saw Ole Miss midway through the year and they weren't very impressive--not bad but not especially good, either--but Kizer can score and they came on at the end of the season to gain the NCAA bid. But I'm afraid the end of the line looms for the Rebels as they must travel to Palo Alto next! Hotty Toddy! (I've never quity known what the hell that terms means, but it's fun to say before you throw back another whiskey!)

HeadSpun repped this.
  21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Wikipedia:

A hot toddy, also known as hot whisky in Scotland, is typically a mixed drink made of liquor and water with honey, herbs and spices, and served hot. Hot toddy recipes vary and are traditionally drunk before retiring for the night, or in wet or cold weather.

McSkillz and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  22. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both BC and Clemson are out of the tournament and both beat FSU. The outlook for FSU is shaky at best with USF and Viens coming to town and if we luck out Southern Cal after that.

23. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    FSU can beat anyone, but can also lose (or tie) with pretty much everyone. Crazy talent that doesn't always gel.

On another note.... and not to be alarmist, but the California wildfires are getting very serious and could have an impact on UCLA hosting NC State, Minnesota, and Santa Clara next weekend. I would imagine there are some school administrators/parents etc who will be very wary of their daughters flying across the country to be that close to a statewide emergency.

24. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Florida State is inconsistent.
    That is not the right recipe to win a National Title.
    In 2014, they were much more consistent.

25. Lagadema

Lagadema Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Crazyhorse, stop it. Usf got worked by memphis for the aac championship and memphis just lost to wisconsin 3-0. FSU beat wisconsin earlier in the season. Oh and by the way, FSU beat duke, uva(2x) and unc on the way to the acc championship. Shaky, I don't think so.

Crazyhorse repped this.