PBP: 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship: USA vs. U.S. Virgin Islands 11/3 6:00 ET

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 2, 2018.

1. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #101 autobus39, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Manny Perez pick up a loose Araujo first touch, runs through the USVI defense from the half way line to inside the penalty area, and finishes.

13-0 US Full Time

ChuckMe92 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a waste of time for the US to have to play a team that terrible. If there's ever a tournament that needs mercy rules, it's this one.

3. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #103 autobus39, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    The US U-20s are the United States territory champion of the 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship!

Maybe they can schedule Guam and American Samoa after the tournament for the United States territory FIFA U-20 championship.

Things should get more serious on Monday against Trinidad and Tobago. Game at 7:45 eastern.

4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Not alot of assessing. You win and move on. Alot more games to play.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Well, at least we equaled Suriname's output. Still, considering the caliber of opponent it was somewhat disappointing. Not just that the finishing was subpar. The players didn't try any creative stuff. Just the same run the line, cross it in.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We beat a pub-team 13-0. Most of those USVI players weren't any better than the average high school soccer player. What was the point of that game? I also thought we played terrible, but the fact that we can play terrible and beat a team 13-0 shows a lot of what's wrong with this format.

Ochoa had very little to do, but he did have one shaky moment that shouldn't be happening. Perez had no defending to do. Above-average going forward, but nothing terribly impressive. The goal was nice, but I'm watching more for high level plays, not scoring against a pub team. The goal was a very nice run though, and probably his best moment of the game.

Nothing for the two CB's to do defensively. Araujo did well passing out of the back, McKenzie did well scoring two goals. Thats my preferred CB partnership from this group of players. Real managed to play mediocre against a team we beat 13-0. Thats impressive. The captain might need a seat on the bench. I think its problematic to name one of your worst players the captain.

Fontana had nothing to do defensively, but moved the ball around well. I liked his goal. Showed some composure that most of the team didn't have. Wouldn't be against giving him another game or two. Angking did mostly nothing, and I've noticed he's very one-footed. Amaya was awful. Doesn't belong at this level. I know we had a lot of players that weren't released, but Amaya shouldn't have even been in consideration to replace those players.

Llanez was too good for these defenders. Dangerous game for him. They have no chance defending him, so they just foul him constantly and takes swings at his legs, ankles, knees, feet. I doubt he broke a sweat against this level of competition. Good idea to take him off at the half. Dorsey was even worse than Amaya. Also doesn't belong at this level. His football IQ is bad, he has almost no skill, he's very one-footed, and he has no composure. He's a decent athlete, but not much more than that. Akinola did well for the way he plays, but his selfishness showed. Tried to take a goal from Llanez that was rightly credited to Llanez, and then he tried to take another from Rennicks that had to be called offsides because he touched the ball.

Rennicks played well. Limited player, but knows his role, and doesn't try to do more than he's capable of. I had seen him play once or twice before and wasn't impressed. I think he's the player whose stock has went up the most through two games. I don't think he'll be more than average MLS player, but I wouldn't have even thought before this tournament that he'd be that. What was Mendez doing with that penalty that Dorsey drew? Takes the ball off him, and argues with him for a minute about it. Also took an ill-advised shot or two. I understand its hard to buy into playing against a team like this, but I wasn't impressed by his attitude when he came on. Pomykal is the same situation as Llanez. Best not to have him play much against a team that will try to kick him because they can't defend him.

Master O, Tom Collingsworth and Luksarus repped this.
  7. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who has played in lopsided games its actually almost impossible to play well. The game gets out of hand fast and the pressure isn't there and everything just goes down a notch. Just a reality of playing in a game like that.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If you just analyze his talent, I don't think he's as bad as some other players on this team, but the way he plays makes it so hard to say he's not the worst player on this team. I remember thinking the same thing about the U-17 WC team. I thought there were a couple players with worse talent, but he was the worst player for what he contributed.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  9. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    The best 11 on this roster, imo:

Llanez---Rennicks---Akinola/Perez
    Pomykal--Mendez/Torres
    Servania/Mendez
    Gloster--McKenzie--Rogers/Araujo--Lindsey
    Scott

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Overall, a fair analysis. Besides his petulance Mendez's finishing disappointed me. He's usually more clinical. Perez does get forward but he has trouble moving left.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pomykal.

It has to be stated again that its not a slight towards Llanez (because he's one of the best players on this team), but playing up a cycle is very hard to do, and it shows how many "first teamers" are actually on this roster. I think maybe 1/3 of this team would be on the roster if everyone was available.

I was going to say that, but ended up not saying so. I'm not surprised someone else noticed it. Thats not a bad outcome. He'll make 100-200k per year being Herrera-level.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He played in those friendlies against France. That game was a much better way to judge his ability than this game. Didn't like his athleticism or defensive instincts, so thats a problem right away. He better be Dani Alves technically and creatively, otherwise, and I don't think he's more than above-average in that area. He has good ball control and can create some space. Better than most RB's in those areas. The Herrera comparison @SUDano used is a pretty good one, IMO.

One issue we see every cycle is that there are always some older year players who have no business getting so many call ups, but do purely because they are older players. I think Its made worse this cycle because the 99's don't have much depth, IMO. A player like Dorsey has no business on this team. Neither does Real, probably Fontana, Rogers, Rennicks wouldn't be on this team (even with the absences), if they weren't 99's. I understand why Ramos does this. It happens a lot in sport, but I'd prefer not to watch so many non-prospects (or close to it) in a youth team.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Unfortunately with this idiotic format goal difference might be critical, and without Pomykal and Llanez on the field that could have been 8:0 or something, and I'm not even sure that 13:0 is a great result considering that TnT is playing this Junior Varsity team after us.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I am giving Fontana some more chances. Really liked his touch and decision making. Surprised by it. I like to be surprised by players.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    US stats through 2 games:

(They are ridiculous. Especially Llanez.)

Matt Real - 2 games, 2 starts, 180 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists
    Ayo Akinola - 2 games, 2 starts, 149 minutes, 3 goals, 0 assists
    Paxton Pomykal - 2 games, 1 start, 121 minutes, 2 goals, 0 assists
    Alex Mendez - 2 games, 1 start, 120 minutes, 2 goals, 1 assist
    Justin Rennicks - 2 games, 1 start, 112 minutes, 3 goals, 3 assists
    Griffin Dorsey 2 games, 1 start,106 minutes, 1 goals, 2 assists
    Mark McKenzie - 1 game, 1 start, 90 minutes, 2 goals, 0 assists
    Emanuel Perez - 1 game, 1 start, 90 minutes, 1 goal, 1 assist
    Anthony Fontana - 1 game, 1 start, 90 minutes, 1 goal, 0 assists
    Julian Araujo - 1 game, 1 start, 90 minutes, 0 goals, 2 assists
    Brandon Servania - 1 game, 1 start, 90 minutes, 0 goals, 1 assist
    Frankie Amaya - 1 game, 1 start, 90 minutes, 0 goal, 0 assists
    Samuel Rogers - 1 game, 1 start, 90 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists
    Chris Gloster - 1 game, 1 start, 90 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists
    Brady Scott - 1 game, 1 start, 90 minutes, 1 goal allowed, 1 save
    David Ochoa - 1 game, 1 start, 90 minutes, 0 goals allowed, 1 save
    Issac Angking - 2 games, 1 start, 86 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists
    Jaylin Lindsey - 1 game, 1 start, 74 minutes, 0 goals, 1 assist
    Ulysses Llanez - 2 games, 1 start, 68 minutes, 4 goals, 4 assists
    Juan Pablo Torres - 1 game, 1 start, 64 minutes, 0 goals, 0 assists

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Looking at the box score, Jaylin Lindsey wasn't listed as a sub.

I assume that means he's in Utah with Sporting Kansas City.

It will be interesting to see what Tab does with him Monday, especially if he plays much against RSL.

Also, KC-RSL is the late game tomorrow so odds are Lindsey won't be flying out after the game unless Delta has a redeye from Salt Lake City to Atlanta (both of which are there hubs) and then he can connect early Monday morning to Sarasota.

So the best case scenario is he arrives mid-morning Monday with a crappy night's sleep and having not played an MLS playoff game. Worst case is he gets in late Monday afternoon having played 90 the day before.

(Unless US Soccer is willing to charter a plane for a right back in a U20 game, which I doubt.)

17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Kickstarter?