PBP: 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship: USA vs. Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 11/7 8:00 ET

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 6, 2018.

1. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1060373080428765184 is not a valid tweet id

3. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad we ended up with a 6-0 win. And I'm glad we looked pretty much in control all game, even if we weren't doing too much offensively. St Vincent got close to our box once or twice in the last 40 minutes. And I'm really glad that, even though it's St. Vincent, we didn't let ourselves get pushed around.

But really, it was sooo boring. Predictable, plodding, mostly-ineffective, is how I would describe this team on offense. Yeah, I'll take wins if we're playing that way against good opponents, but against these teams it should be more of an "attractive" stomp.

4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once the starting SV&G keeper went out, they were doomed for the rout.

5. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As awful as it was to watch, we easily could’ve been up 3 or 4-0 at halftime with better finishing.

I really enjoy these tournaments so I hope we make a ton of changes and get some better players called in. However, I have a feeling it’s not going to happen in the way we hope. I don’t see most of our best players being released. I’m sure Durkin and Carleton will eventually be available, but I am just not optimistict that we are going to see this team at full strength at any point this cycle.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Against the run of play? We had 80% of the possession and shots.

7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    This was clarified long ago ...

8. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    "Boring" in soccer is usually the case with a game in front of nobody. England played Croatia in an empty stadium, two great teams but it was incredibly boring. It had nothing to do with what was going on on the field. Look at the MLS knock out round games, on Halloween, empty stadiums, terribly boring games. The next night, two raucous crowds, much "better" games. Was the actual soccer that different?

These games are played in front of no one. At least that is how it looks and sounds on TV. Maybe there are more fans behind the camera...

During the USA vs T&T match there was a big loud crowd making noise, it was the Honduras fans in the next field. Like so much USSF, are these games marketed? Are the tickets expensive? Could they play them somewhere where they will be attended by fans? The USSF/Fan relationship is in terrible shape.

Florida is a strange place for the USA. I think there are a ton of fans, but they are almost all USA 2nd fans. We play Colombia and 20,000 show up and support Colombia. They cheer the USA goals too. I'm sure if we were playing Venezuela, those fans would be in Red, White, and Blue and cheering for us (if they wanted to pay $150 for USA as they do for Colombia; which they don't).

I hope our kids can cope with a pro-Honduras crowd in the next round.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to be too critical of how a team plays in a tournament where they play 5 games in what 8/9 days? If you try and play the right way the team will be exhausted and lose the last couple of games. Blame the setup allowing so many minnows playing against the usual powers. It seems the whole tournament is set up to give the island minnows a better shot against the powers by the number of games in so short a time with the usual refs swallowing their whistle. I've seen some decent skill and passing etc but this is as much an endurance contest as anything else.

TxEx, Sombrerito, ussoccer97531 and 3 others repped this.
  10. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of long ball.

11. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    So many games in a short span of time coupled with playing vastly inferior teams with a ever changing cycle of different players with no time to develop much cohesion make it very difficult to play attractive fluid soccer.

Sombrerito and TimB4Last repped this.
  12. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really have no problems with how the U.S. team has played in this tournament at all. They're expected to deliver wins by 6-10 goal margins against bad teams while playing every other day and utilizing heavy squad rotation. That's not easy.

So far the team has played pragmatic soccer designed to achieve the comfortable margins while playing all 20 players as to prevent injury and fatigue. That's fine. CONCACAF is never going to be pretty.

But for almost all of it, the U.S. team has done what it needs and what is expected. So for one half, it dominated St. Vincent & the Grenadines but struggled to score. So what? Playing this many bad teams in a row is both boring and frustrating if you don't score every 10 minutes.

The big challenge is re-calibrating the approach between the first and second stages from nonstop minnow opponents to good teams.

IHSSOC, autobus39, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  13. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100%. Just think anyone trying to evaluate players based on what we have seen is wasting their time. These games are not about evaluation, and certainly not about entertainment. This is just a grind.

Lookingforleftbacks and deejay repped this.
  14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't completely agree. You can watch first touch, calm on ball, passing dribbling at least compared to each other on the team. Of course your mostly right as all of that may dissolve with more pressure. Doubt though the ones already shaky will improve playing better teams.

Patrick167 repped this.
  15. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Read his post and posted my response, then life happened and didn't/couldn't read subsequent posts. Thanks for reminder.

TimB4Last repped this.
  16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sir yes sir.

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Sergeant Hulka. Paging Sergeant Hulka. Please pick up the courtesy phone.

Oh look, there he is...

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The problem here is not that the team had a let-down half. That happens, and in the big picture of this tournament, I don't think thats anything too awful. The problem here are these individual situations. These players are playing for a spot on the team in the next qualifying round, and the U-20 WC. We ended up winning the game easily, but that was more that SV&G started making huge errors than these players playing particularly well. I don't know how we can look at these individual performances positively. The only player in that game who I thought you could come away from that game saying they improved their stock is Fontana.

I am not watching these games to see if we can beat these Island nations that are equivalent to a good high school team. I know we should. I want to see which players on this roster can help when the games really matter against teams that can play football.

IMO, not that many players have impressed. Pomykal, Llanez, Araujo and Servania have impressed. Fontana and Rennicks have impressed for the initial low expectations. Scott, McKenzie, Mendez and Gloster have held their stock firm. The rest have been disappointing. I think you have to think forward with performances in this tournament to the U-20 WC. How many of these players are actually good enough to have on the final U-20 WC roster? We haven't seen a whole lot good on an individual evaluation perspective about the players on this roster.

Patrick167 repped this.
  19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    What to do if you scored against 300K island that's called Iceland?

20. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn’t this exactly what we expected? I mean, we knew who guys like Akinola and Angking were before this tournament started. I mean, having guys like Fontana and Rennicks impress nets an overall positive, imo. We aren’t at the point where our 3rd and 4th string players in an age group are going to be NT level, and very few of these players are the best in this age group.

The bigger issue to me is the style of soccer and the fact that the entire offensive scheme is terrible cross after terrible cross to no one. And somehow people have actually been campaigning for Tab for NT coach.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #96 ussoccer97531, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    To an extent, I agree. If we want to start discussing individual players, a number have disappointed to a big extent. I'm not saying I expected to learn that much good about these players against this level of competition, but I think what we have learned is worse than should've been expected.

Lindsey: I've seen no real skilled offensive ability from him against minnows. That does not bode well for his offensive skill-set against non-minnows. Even if offense wasn't his specialty, I'd expect more in the way of offensive ability against weak opposition. I like his game more than the players that come after him here, but is his upside particularly high? I don't think so. I think Gloster's a similar situation, but with better ability to combine going forward, and overall better defense and athleticism. A similar, but better player who plays the side of the field that we have less depth.

Akinola: Absolutely no ability to process the game against any level of competition. These teams he is playing have no ability to pressure him, take the ball away, read his intentions. These are some pretty bad defenders, yet he still makes error after error with his decisions. When he's facing better defenders, there will be forced errors. The only errors happening here are unforced errors.

Angking: Don't see much in the way of a diversified skill-set. He has some nice ball control, a nice left foot and he's not a bad athlete, but the rest of the game seems a challenge for him. I don't think he's particularly excellent in any of those areas either. Some had claimed he might be an under the radar player in the system. I don't see it.

Rogers: Very bland big CB. I've seen him play before, but after seeing a couple more viewings, he's just not all that talented. I see why he hasn't yet been signed by the first team. He moves okay for a big CB, but mediocre for a player of any height. He's okay on the ball for a big CB, but mediocre for a player of any height. Defense never was that strong. He's good in the air, but I don't see much in his game at an above average level.

Torres: I struggle to understand what he does well. He's on a first team contract with a club in the Belgian first division. I've watched him play at least five times now (maybe a time or two more actually), yet I still can't discern a skill that he's good at. What type of CM is he even supposed to be?

Real: Defensive instincts aren't there. Often times in the wrong position. Decent passer of the ball from the LB spot, but no real ability to beat anyone off the dribble. Bland player. You can say he's "technical", but not a particularly talented technical player, and there are clear defensive and athletic issues with his game.

Perez is supposed to be one of the first MLS draft picks. Poor-man's Aaron Herrera, IMO. I'm not sure Amaya and Dorsey ever make the pro game. I've complimented Rennicks and Fontana, but what is the upside with either? Average MLS player? I doubt there's NT upside. I'm not going to grade Ochoa too harshly on one game where he barely had anything to do, but I still don't believe he's the best keeper in what is a very weak year for keepers ('01). He clearly doesn't belong on this team.

Patrick167 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  22. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “Poor-man’s Aaron Herrera.” I actually laughed out loud at this. I heard a lot about Perez and I agree, he doesn’t even look like the 3rd best RB on this team. I think I’d still take Xuxuh over him, and I haven’t seen Xuxuh play for 2-3 years.

I generally agree with all of your points. I was never really big on Lindsey, and never really cared much for any of the other guys you mentioned, so I am not really disappointed. If we get guys like Durkin, Carleton, Soto, Dest, etc called in and still are playing this mediocre, then I’ll be concerned.

23. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    It is to be expected that a squad of mostly B or C Team players would be comprised of mostly players that will likely largely end up being no better than roster caliber MLS players.

Lindsey and Gloster are probably the two with the most upside off the list. The are still 18 and play positions with probably the lowest floor to break through in pro soccer.

Perez doesn't even play RB in college, so they fact that he is raw is not surprising. Might be a top MLS draft pick, but that doesn't really mean anything look at ROY voting. If you can go from college to a below average MLS player in one year then you got a pretty good chance to take home that award.

Patrick167 repped this.