PBP: 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship: USA vs. Mexico 11/21 7:00 ET

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 20, 2018.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Torres was a good player but he didn't wow me like Servania. Servania is already more polished than Armas ever was. I didn't mean to say they both play the same way. Armas was a pitbull that would disturb the opponent's game plan. Servania is more refined, sees the game way ahead of the rest and gets into position to challenge and once he gets the ball he turns into another 8 helping the counter. Is like having two players in one. Armas and Servania are ball winners that do it in their own different way.

2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I meant Pablo Mastroeni.

3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean this guy?

[​IMG]

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, where's the Neg Rep when you need it? ;)

Bajoro repped this.
  5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot about this group, or a lot about our full nats side?

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No, the one who is MLS yellow cards record holder.

7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This look was inspired by Zoolander and Ill Niño.

8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  9. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone explain to me why these pictures exist? I see them all the time but I don’t know the backstory if there is one.

11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Promotions for NT before 2002 WC. Looking for new fans, I guess. Apparently worked well looking at 2002 results. I believe some photo sessions for Playgirl would help our current team as well. Definitely would make more sense than playing England and Italy under Sarachan.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    "On Wednesday, U.S. fans were treated to a buffet of bright spots, from the attractive style of attacking soccer, to Mendez's breakout performance, to Scott's big-time saves, and most satisfying of all, the latest addition to the pantheon of Dos a Cero scorelines in the USA-Mexico rivalry."

Pretty bland summary from Ives, but he includes quotes from Ramos, Mendes and McKenzie.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/usm...-give-fans-hope-for/xayonbl8m6lu1x75rv0ffs014

Namdynamo, LouisZ and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched the game for the first time yesterday after finding my DVR actually did record it. It's a bit of an odd sensation watching a game after reading so much about it. I found myself think the US didn't blow Mexico away and without a few pretty good saves by Scott the results could have been very different. The US also had a few more opportunities that were very close to going in. I thought it was about 55-45 US in control.

Hot take on Lainez is he's a gifted dribbler that may face more problems as he plays adults from other countries. His passes on the ground are very good but his passes in the air and free kicks are all seemingly soft chips. That makes me wonder if he has a decent shot from distance (hello Mendez). I was kind of frustrated that the US kept allowing him so much room to maneuver. Oh, and he's a diva. Constantly whining and crying even making the ref card him for it. Yes, he gets hacked a lot but his antics are over the top.

Still not sure what to make of Mendez who has a great outside shot and great free kicks but in the run of play is just decent. Thought Pomykol was a bit ignored through the whole tournament. In this game both goals were because he moved inside and created havoc and assists. He had another earlier in the game that bounced around and was somewhat unlucky not to end up in goal. He also plays dfense all the way to the touch line and was nipping at Lainez's heels alot (don't remember Lainez at his heels when he created both assists). Akinola's main problem is he can't dribble very well so he tries to pass quickly instead of taking another touch to allow a better pass. Did like that he's a good guy to have in a physical game like that was. Dest is so fun to watch. made a run that continued from right back to left wing at one point and he was a threat the whole run.McKenzie was solid but didn't see the long ground passes that he was sending in earlier games. Maybe Mexico didn't leave holes. Rennicks was just ok in this one. he still played hard but all his moves had been seen before and rarely worked on this day. real wasn't very good defensively and useless offensively. By far his worst game. Have to think Gloster was a bit injured. real did look better once they went to three backs late. Richards got everything in the air but was exposed a few times on the ground. Servania just kept chugging along. hope he stays as a 6. US has so many 8's that getting a few more players into the mix is a must. Scott made some good saves. Maybe he made them look so easy that it played into the US domination storyline but a couple of quick low shots on the ground were anything but routine.

My verdict is we looked good but still need some upgrades before taking on teams better than Mexico. Sargent would make an immense difference and probably Weah too. Carleton and Ledezma would allow a very gifted rotation for the next part of the tournament. Need one more really good central defender and another 6 to rotate with Servania.

14. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    What you call whining, Kleiban would call flair or flavor. :)

I have always likes Llanez as a player and think he possesses the quickness and touch of a top level player. I agree with your thought's on Mendez and other than his goals, he was not as dominate as I figured he would be. Don't get me wrong, he scores and has a great set piece shot, but will be interesting to see how he does in a tough environment in Europe. Hopefully both of these players are in the US first team in a few years.

Pomykal was the best all around attacker for me with the ability to read the game, know when to push or just keep possession, have the ability to beat people one v one and set others up or to create his own shot. Would love to see him get out of the FCD system this winter and move to Europe as well.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    Are you confusing Lainez for Llanez?

Winoman repped this.
  16. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    #317 Runhard, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018

completely missed that. I thought he was referring to Llanez and not Lainez. I only knew who Lainez was as the guy clowned by Matt Miazga during senior team games.

I was talking about Llanez.

17. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    Ya I see’ve A lot of people confusing those two lately lol. Both great players I’m looking forward to seeing on the senior teams

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you are saying that the national team should pull a Shep Messing? Did that help the Cosmos? Oh no, I just realized someone will now post THOSE photos .... YIKES!

19. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    People on here are really saying Mendez is just mediocre? Smh. His passing, vision, and touch are all exceptional. He's physically strong, can consistently beat people on the dribble, and makes the right decision when on the ball. He's always looking to drive forward, but tracks back to great effect. I'm sorry, but I've watched this kid over the last few years, and he might be the best youth prospect outside of Efrain in the country. The federation should be doing everything they can to get and keep them in the program.

Namdynamo, Pl@ymaker and Peretz48 repped this.
  20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must admit I haven't seen enough of Alvarez (18 y.o.) to conclude he will be as good or better than Efrain (16 y.o.). There are already tons of highlights of Efran, very little for Alvarez. I guess time will tell if Alvarez becomes the player you think he will be.

21. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Alvarez?

22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I meant to say ALEX Mendez. As I get older the wires get crossed from time to time.

Winoman repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Who said that?

don Lamb repped this.
  24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #325 TimB4Last, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    If anyone did say that, in this thread or elsewhere, the most likely candidate would be ... you. :p