PBP: 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship: USA vs. Mexico 11/21 7:00 ET

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 20, 2018.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The final is against our rivals. Our U-20's are going for two CONCACAF U-20 championships in a row.

2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Llanez still injured?

LouisZ repped this.
  3. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I only live 2 hours from IMG, can you go watch the game? I assume you can but want to be sure before I make the drive. If so, is there an admission price?

TimB4Last repped this.
  4. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    TimB4Last and Winoman repped this.
  5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I have repped this post - provisionally - pending an evaluation of your live reportage from this evening's match.

6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think we will see a similar game to Mexico vs Panama with Mexico getting over run in the middle. The favorite is the US.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The thing to watch out for with Mexico is that they may not be as physical but they are smart and flexible and can come up with some passing weaves which will mess up the opposition's rhythm and change the run of play. I was very impressed with what they did to Panama in the early part of the second half and it was enough for them to recover from two goals down.

Development wise they are going for the Barcelona philosophy of picking for IQ first. Right now at U20 they may be a little overwhelmed but in the long run the cohesion they build up will tell more. That said, I think in international soccer it's not an easy philosophy to implement. More of a club ball thing. NTs rarely build up enough cohesion unless a bulk of the players are in the same club.

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be interesting to see if both clubs can pick up their effort after so many games and the last one being dull for each. I'm guessing that the rivalry will kick it up. Hope all our players are available.

9. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    It's not player availability I'm worried about - it's poster availability, interest level, intensity. After three weeks I sense fatigue, just when we need to dial it up a notch.

Anderson11 repped this.
  10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The U20's are the oasis for all of us.

leppercut and FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.
  11. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Headed to the game now. Just waiting for my boy to finish coaching his youth in Largo.
    Agreed

TxEx, gunnerfan7 and TimB4Last repped this.
  12. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Based on the last few youth team games vs. Mexico, expect us to press the shit out of them. If it's played at our pace, the game won't be the prettiest, but it will be played mostly in their half.

Mckennie and Richards will be huge in terms of holding a high line, snuffing out counter attacks, and making sure Torres doesn't have space to run into when he gets the ball. Lainez will be a handful, but Servania, Gloster, and Pomykal/Llanez will be more than just a little bit aware of him. The play of Soto, Akinola, Pomykal, and Llanez (hopefully he's healthy) in quick transition moments when we win the ball back will be vital to creating chances. Expect Mendez and Pomykal/Torres and Servania to win the midfield battle as Dest and Gloster play aggressively stepping into the wide areas of the field.

gunnerfan7 and TimB4Last repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Lineup I'd use

Scott
    Araujo-McKenzie-Richards-Gloster
    Servania
    Mendez-Pomykal
    Dest-Soto-Llanez

Pl@ymaker, Anderson11 and TimB4Last repped this.
  14. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Might be interesting to see where Lainez plays. Does he play on the left to exploit Dest, who is more likely to get caught forward than Gloster, or does he stay on the right? Or, does he move from side to side and pick up the ball wherever he can? [I'm assuming Dest plays over Lindsey, but that's just a guess]

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Didn't Dest politely request that you not push him so far forward?

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I think our guys should feel confident, but they know that they haven't really been tested in the seven games we've played so far. For better or worse, Mexico has battled three competitive opponents: Jamaica, El Salvador and Panama.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I also prefer Servania and Araujo in different positions, but we should play the best lineup we have. I don't want to see Akinola, Real, Torres, Amaya starting against Mexico. Being part of teams that didn't lose against worst competition doesn't mean you deserve to start against better teams.

We shouldn't think we've accomplished anything yet. We've been playing CONCACAF teams. The opponents start to get better with this game, and in the U-20 World Cup.

Midas Mulligan and TimB4Last repped this.
  18. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Echoing the question from above, do we know if Llanez is good to go or not?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I guess our coach thought this strong a lineup would be unfair.

Gorky, Tom Collingsworth and Anderson11 repped this.
  21. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't he injured last match?

22. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Looks like not. I see no other reason why he wouldn't start.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not starting your best player because he went two games without scoring. Overthinking it.

If we lose, we can thank Ramos thinking he owes mediocre players for beating up on minnows. He's once again starting Real because he's the captain. Gloster has completely outplayed him this tournament, and is a much better player.

24. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Rennicks over Soto is not necessarily a downgrade in my opinion. Real over Gloster is a bit of a surprise. My only real concern is Amaya...

25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Llanez at least on the bench?