2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship: USA vs. Costa Rica 11/16 7:30 ET

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 12, 2018.

1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    There’s zero reason to give your thoughts on the USSF and MLS structure in this thread.

2. PhillyJawn_guy

PhillyJawn_guy Red Card

York 9 FC
    United States
    Nov 17, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you would rather keep them and let their incompetence further sink the US program and keep us in perpetual mediocrity?? I'm not old enough to remember the wilderness of 1950-90 but we might see another such period if no major reforms happen.

3. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    This thread is about the Costa Rica match last night, period.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So I was traveling and missed the game.

Are there highlight clips anywhere?

5. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Would still much rather see Mendez as the #8 and Pomykal as the #10 than Torres as the #8 and Paxton out wide. Torres got a goal, but just not at the level of some of these guys. Would much rather have seen Angking get the time Torres has received.

Ayo was real solid after he replaced Llanez. Played more simple than we're accustomed to with him. Had a great header for the goal and rattled the post just before that.

6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The two players that stood out for me in this tournament is Lainez and Pomykal.

Tom Collingsworth and STR1 repped this.
  7. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve been far more impressed with Servania than I thought I’d be. He’s been great

8. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BigSoccer was down for me last night, what was the FT score?

9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    And playing much needed position. But Llanez productivity is phenomenal and Pomykal is much faster than I expected.

LouisZ repped this.
  10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    4-0

AutoPenalti, Gorky and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #61 ussoccer97531, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    I thought we played very well. Beating Costa Rica 4-0 is no small-feat. Costa Rica played as you'd expect Honduras to play. I went into this game wanting USA and Costa Rica to qualify, but now I don't care. Honduras injured our players in a dirty manner in the finals last cycle (they always injure USA and Mexico players in a dirty manner) and Costa Rica did the same thing here, so I'd prefer neither qualifies. Considering that can't happen, I don't care which of the other two qualifies.

Scott struggled coming off his line (and has done that another time or two this tournament), but otherwise did well in his most difficult test. Distribution is iffy, as well, but most of our keepers have that problem. I'm not convinced he's the best keeper in this U-20 cycle, but he's also not a bad player either.

Dest was terrific. MOTM, IMO. His stock is going way up the last year. The skill he possesses going forward to go along with defensive instincts and athleticism makes him one of the very best fullbacks in the system. McKenzie is a very solid contributor. I don't see an incredibly dynamic skill-set, but I like his style of play more than most CB's, and he's pretty consistent. Real did well enough. I don't think he's a real prospect, but not bad in this game playing out of position. Gloster continues to play well. I wouldn't say stock up because I always rated him pretty highly, but I think most are now realizing that he's a real quality defensive LB who isn't an offensive liability because he's athletic and can combine.

Servania continues to play well. One of the underestated performers in the team. I don't think he's a #6 in the long-term, but playing the position here should serve his defensive ability well from the #8 position. Very good decision-maker. Torres worked hard. He's good at doing that. Works at this level, but he's another I don't consider a real prospect. Very hard working shift for Pomykal, and yet again a good performance. Showcased a better passing range in this game than what he's shown all tournament. I was starting to think I overrated his passing, but I saw some good passing here that might make me change my mind.

Mendez played well, but I saw more that I didn't like. I'm starting to think he's just a selfish player. I think its either that or he has a low football IQ, and I don't think its the latter. He makes too many plays that hurt attacks because he doesn't release the ball to a teammate when he should. He can score golazos and dominate against this level of competition, but when the competition starts getting better, none of these guys will be as effective. Small-things like that will matter. Good player, but there are deficiencies. As for the good, brilliant set piece ability and I think he's better defensively than he gets credit for.

Soto worked hard. Didn't get many goal-scoring opportunities. Rennicks came in and also worked hard. Llanez goal should've been saved, but he played well until he was forced out of the game from injury. Akinola played his usual game, but at least he contributed a goal. Why does Amaya keep getting into matches? He hurts the team.

12. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Dest just looks like he knows what he's doing, and has a decent enough skillset to get out of trouble and move up the field. He can be one of the real up and comers who might actually be a part of the USMNT come WCQ.

Mendez is an excellent passer. I believe that his qualities will come out more as the level of players playing alongside him improves. If players make intelligent runs he'll find them. We'll learn much more about him when he settles in at Freiburg.

13. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I see that group together, it makes me wonder why Efra wouldn’t want to be a part of it. There’s so much attacking talent among the u20 eligible players that he could put up PlayStation numbers.

14. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dest is like the platonic ideal of an Ajax trained defender. I’m in love.

15. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    I like what I see from Mendez. He balanced well on passing to teammates and do some stuffs himself, and most importantly he is creative and has terrific first touch. If he always release the ball to others at the time we expected, he is just a good robot, but sometimes he did something unexpected, like wait half a second to release, which is not a bad thing.

Besides Mendez, I also like Servinia and Pomykal, those three are quite different but all has good touch. Servinia is kind of player always make clean and simple pass, and Pomykal is the motor of the attack. I just think they are a perfect combination on possession and attack.

Patrick167, Pl@ymaker and STR1 repped this.
  16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Dest was the standout performer for me; with Llanez on the other side we could put them constantly under threat.

Soto really underwhelmed; sure he worked hard but we have lots of guys that can work hard. He needs to produce. I would start Akinola against Honduras because it’s going to be an ugly physical game and he’s better suited to it.

Hopefully we get a ref that will actually protect the players. It was hard to watch last night. I hope no one was seriously hurt.

don Lamb repped this.
  18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Why do you think Servania isn't #6 in a long run?

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's been playing as a #8 for Dallas. I think thats where he also played at Wake Forest. He has a pretty good attacking skill-set for a CM, as well.

20. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Think of a lineup featuring Efra, Mendez, Llanez, Carleton, and Sargent playing in this tournament. That would be just silly.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its one game. You don't take likely your best player out of the lineup because he had one bad game.

Patrick167, Midas Mulligan and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we still have a shot at Efra? What needs to happen?

23. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would. But I don’t know that Carleton could carve out a spot. I’m really, really concerned about his athleticism (or the lack thereof).

He’s great on the ball and has magnificent vision. But I think he’s like 25 years too late to actually ever be an impact player even at club level.

I hope to god he proves me wrong. But as of now, he’s not a viable prospect to me.

24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #6 is harder to find than #8. Especially #6 with attacking abilities.

Pegasus repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The logjam in central midfield will hopefully lessen this off-season. Expansion draft, guys out of contract, etc.

We'll have to see who the next coach at FCD is, before figuring out what the prospect for playing time is for these young players, though.

If I was coach/GM I'd approach these U20s in the following way:

1) Be thrilled with Richards getting signed by Bayern. We're not actually that far away from his loan deal expiring. Hopefully we hear news about that soon.

2) Bid farewell to Jacori Hayes (he's out of contract anyway) and Abel Aguilar (who was just here on loan). Re-sign Ulloa. So the #6 position is covered with Grueso and Ulloa. (Cerillo signing as the next in line there. He'll mostly play USL) Install Servania as the #8 for next season. He's ready.

3) Sell Pomykal to Europe. Aranguiz will be the #10 for FCD next season. But if the market for Paxton isn't there (which it might not be)…………….then Paxton is fully in the rotation at the #8 (with Servania) and at the #10 (with Aranguiz). No minutes available on the wings. I wanna keep him centrally. Competition for starts at both positions. To the winners go the minutes. [As you know, I think Pomykal is going to develop into more of a #8 than a #10. I know we have differing views on that.]

3 addendum) If Pomykal isn't sold to Europe, I send Thomas Roberts to Bayern Munich on loan. If Pomykal is sold, then I've gotta keep Roberts as a backup #10 to Aranguiz (with USL starts).

TarHeels17 repped this.