2018 Colorado Buffaloes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Feb 7, 2018.

1. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 6, Missouri 0

Really. I am not making this up.

I was there, I saw it happen.

Didn't I say that six days ago? Different reason this time.

The Buffs laid a big egg last weekend. It must have been well incubated this week, because it hatched this afternoon and out came a fully grown, ravenously hungry Tyrannosaurus Rex. Or Tyrranosaurus? A big lizard. Anyway, it immediately saw a Tiger and took less than seven minutes to devour it,

We had a pair of 6-0 wins last year, but this is different. This Missouri was not as big as the teams that mugged us twice in Columbia the last three seasons in the Big 12, but they still gave us a tough game and played well and I think they will recover from this and have a good season.

I am not home and am doing this on a clunky laptop so give me an hour and I'll fill in the pleasant (mostly) details Before I do, I'd like to mention another score ...

Tatum Barton 3, Missouri 0
    And she led 2-0 just over 4 minutes in.

2. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 6, Missouri 0 continued

The starting lineup was, left to right, Tatum Barton and Jorian Baucom up top, Megan Massey, Taylor Kornieck and Sarah Kinzner at midfield, Kayleigh Webb was the holding midfielder, Kelsey Aaknes, Jesse Loren, Hannah Cardenas and Sofia Weiner in back, and JJ Tompkins in the net.

It did not take long. 2:23 in, a corner kick was pinballing in the box, Tatum Barton was in the right place at the right time (she does that a lot), the ball came to her close to the goal surrounded by five Tigers, she turned and shot, 1-0 with assists to Jesse Loren and Taylor Kornieck. Two and a half minutes later, Tatum blew past defenders to run down Taylor's pass, GK came out, Tatum shot under her not at her, 2-0. Less than two minutes later, Megan Massey's pass found Jorian speeding into the box, 3-0. After that, the game settled. Missouri had a minor edge in the run of play but did not accomplish much with their possession. Missouri had a shot on goal, and Stephanie Zuniga took a long shot, resulting in Missouri's only save of the game. Freshman Cheynee Kingsbury and Sophomore Gabbi Chapa made their career debuts. Jesse sent a header high near the end of the half. The half ended 3-0, shots 7-1, corners 1-0, our one led to Tatum's first goal. Everybody got in, except where are Alex Vidger and Nancy Best?

Scout Watson played goal in the second half. The half started out kind of quietly, until ten minutes in a Tiger worked the ball past half of the Buffs and took a good shot which was kick-saved by Scout. Two minutes later, the play of the game ... Taylor passed to Jorian who had a LONG breakaway going, the GK came way out but Jorian got the ball past her and leaped over her but the ball was rapidly en route to the end line and Jorian found another gear and slid and stuck her foot out and a millisecond before it was a goal kick for Missouri, she kept it in and managed to flick it towards the penalty spot and here comes Tatum, 4-0. Highlight video for sure. Two minutes later a corner kick led to the ball coming out to Sofia who shot just over the goal. Stephanie sent a crossing pass right to Taylor at the penalty spot and she just missed. Right at the end of the third quarter, a Buff was taken down in the box, a PK possibly could have been called, or not, and it wasn't.

A long punt from Scout to Taylor was quickly passed to Marty Puketapu and off she went, GK came out, Marty dribbled around her for the tap-in, 5-0. Kayleigh had done a couple of flip throw-ins, and now Cheynee did one. Missouri had a breakaway going and Jesse ran it down (Jesse is fast). Missouri took their best shot of the game and it went just barely high. With five minutes left, Taylor hit Katie Joella with a pass and Katie blew past three defenders, the GK came out and Katie chipped over her head but kind of high. It seemed like it took the ball forever to come down. Come on gravity!! Gravity prevailed, 6-0.

Missouri has an exhibition 2-1 win over Oklahoma State, then 1-1 with Iowa and 2-1 over Iowa State, none at home.

I thought this was Katie’s first-ever goal for us but it wasn’t, she scored two minutes in at Denver last September. It had to have been an interesting day for her family. Her sister, a junior in high school, has committed to Missouri.

Shots wound up 16-5, on goal 7-3, corner kicks 4-1. And fouls 16-8 Missouri. No surprise there. Buffs got knocked to the ground a lot, some were called.

Erin Greening is on crutches. And, there was no sign of Nancy Best or Alex Vidger. I don’t know why except that Alex is injured, that’s all I know, and I do not have a good feeling about this. Camilla, Erin, Nancy and Alex, that’s a lot of talent and experience.

3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    It turns out Alex Vidger was been dismissed from the team. Have no idea why.

4. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #129 derbarkasmann, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Ouch !!

I asked Scout after the game if Alex was injured, I thought that the muffled kind of evasive reply was a yes but it wasn't and I see why she didn't want to talk about it.

Jesse Loren and Sofia Weiner both played well yesterday, I think we're OK for now but it's getting a bit thin back there. I will be a happy man when Erin comes back.

Alex did a great job for the Buffs, gave us some badly needed size and strength as a freshman, and started a lot of games the past two seasons.

This mornings newspaper also thought it was her first career goal. I checked again, she did score at Denver last year, in the 62nd minute, not two minutes in, that was a hallucination on my part, happens increasingly often. Tatum scored two minutes in. At Denver, and yesterday, may this become a habit.

5. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #130 derbarkasmann, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Attendance was 607, on a very pleasant Saturday afternoon, and the students were bribed. One section of the bleachers is reserved for season ticket holders with reserved tickets. For CSU, it was pretty well packed. Not yesterday. The yellow cap in the top row is unkiemark, I'm at his immediate right, apparently contemplating my navel as Missouri brings the ball up the field.

Image from the Missouri soccer website, thank you.

Mizzou.jpg

6. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nancy Best was away tending to a very big sadness. A huge welcome to her, please, when we see her again.

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Random thoughts from the Missouri match -

• Taylor, with the ball at her feet is excellent. She's confident in holding the ball under a bit of pressure and then finding a teammate. Her four assists yesterday were a school record for a game.

• CSU's keeper was much better than either keeper Missouri put on the pitch.

• Prior to the match, I was speaking with someone who was mentioning that Tatum has a nose for the goal. I stated she's a "sniper" who has a sixth sense about where to be to get a goal. Her hold up play was also outstanding. During her freshman season at Texas Tech she didn't score a goal, hard to believe.

• The long ball was in use as much as in the CSU match.

8. Fastcar

Fastcar New Member

Manchester United
    Germany
    Aug 20, 2018
    Tatum can play with her back to the net
    She needs to continue to be used more. She can score

Taylor was fantastic

With the loss of Phillips and now Vidger, Colorado needs someone to not only shore up defensively but play the ball out of the center of the field by playing to the feet of the other players. The long ball is predictable and easy to counter on

9. Katalyst

Katalyst Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I watched the game on TV this time and it was funny because the announcer kept saying that Missouri was a physical team that applied lots of pressure. I think he must be new because he must not have seen a PAC -12 league game yet. There wasn’t any pressure hardly at all in this game but this was a nice win and I’m sure CU enjoyed being able to do their thing and get more confidence. They are going to need to pass much quicker as they continue to get ready for pac 12 play. These weak non conference games worry me a bit but if they continue to beat teams convincingly then they may be ok. Baucom and Kornieck have chemistry out there. You can just see it getting better every game. CU’s play and movement in the final third was much better and that may be because I noticed Baucom had more coverage than Barton but that is a good thing if Barton continues to find the back of the net. Kornieck in the true attacking mid role is going to be phenomenal for CU. I think she needs to be touching the ball as much as possible because her vision is so good. Kinzner at holding mid could be a winner but I’m worried about her pace.
    On another note, one of the CU players got taken down... I think it was Kornieck and I heard the Missouri coach on the sidelines say “don’t worry you will be able to do that two more times before the ref will give you a card”! REALLY?
    GO BUFFS!!!

10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Taylor with a ton of assists already this season. Didn't realize he had this many. She's in her element playing the Central Attacking Midfielder role -

12. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The injury bug, which has been nibbling at us, just took a big chomp. I'll let the team make the announcement, if it does, but the starting lineup will reveal it. We will start four freshmen. This year's depth turns out to be a blessing.

13. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but CSU's defense played their hearts out, while neither Missouri keeper got a lot of help from the defense. Tatum's first goal was following a corner kick and there were more Tigers within a few feet of her than there are in Africa, but none of them impeded her shot in any way. Then the ball got passed into the box and there was nobody at all where it was going, eventually someone arrived, and it was Tatum. She is not our fastest forward, where were the defenders? Jorian's goal was well defended, she just did a great job getting her shot off. In the second half, Jorian brilliantly kept the ball from going over the end line and kicked it towards the goal, any defenders around? Nope, just Tatum at full speed. Marty scored on a breakaway, way out in front of everybody. And Katie had a couple of defenders but they were behind her.

Their goalkeepers gave up one goal each to Oklahoma State, Iowa and Iowa state,
    none of those were home games.

14. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were knocking us around all day, fouls were 16-8 and some weren't called.

Really. Missouri has a well-earned reputation for playing thuggish soccer. My first road game with the Buffs was at Columbia and we were mugged. Leaving the field at the end, one of the players said that it was the first soccer game she'd ever played that was not fun. Leaving the field at the end, Coach Hempen gave his opinion to the referee and was issued a red card. When the team gave him his 250th career win at Kansas two days later, he had to watch from the stands. He also had to apologize all over the place, which was hogwash, he was right.

Two years later it was worse, one of our players had an ankle broken which eventually ended her career early, it appeared to be avoidable if not intentional. 15 fouls were called on the Buffs, 6 on Missouri, and it was the Buffs who were being pounded all night.

This year was less damaging because they aren't as big as they were then. Same head coach.

Katalyst repped this.
  15. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missouri's defense and goalkeeper kept #16 Northwestern scoreless until the 94th minute.

16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  17. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 4, Texas San Antonio 0

BigSoccer is being hostile this evening. Let me see if I can get this to post.

18. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of excitement around CU, happy to see them doing so well!

19. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #144 derbarkasmann, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    OK, it's working.

Hannah Cardenas tore her ACL in practice this week.

The Buffs had a significant edge in possession in the first half, but only led 1-0, shots on goal were 3-3 on the scoreboard, 2-2 in the stats. The second half was a very long 45 minutes for the Roadrunners. Possession overwhelmingly favored the Buffs, shots on goal were 7-0 Buffs on the scoreboard, 4-0 in the stats. Total shots were 21-7, 11-1 in the second half.

Starting lineup was, left to right, Jorian Baucom and Tatum Barton in front, Megan Massey, Taylor Kornieck and Emily Groark at midfield, Sarah Kinzner was the holding midfielder, and Kelsey Aaknes, Jesse Loren, Kayleigh Webb, and Sofia Weiner, with Scout Watson in the net. Sarah and Kayleigh were moved, and Emily took Sarah's spot. Emily, Jesse, Kayleigh and Sofia are freshmen.

We almost fell behind almost immediately. A Roadrunner ran between the middle of the defense with the ball and blasted a shot inside the box which Scout fingertipped into the crossbar. Then the Buffs kind of took over. Jorian's hard shot was deflected slightly by a defender and just missed. Tatum roared into the box towards a waiting ball but a defender stayed with her and the ball went over the end line for a goal kick. Megan's shot was saved by a diving goalkeeper, sure looked like a shot on goal to me, not counted. A hard cross found Taylor's head and her header just missed. The Buffs are making long passes but not as long because they start near or past midfield. Emily's hustle kept the ball from going over the end line and the keeper came out towards her as if she was going to shoot but she passed near the penalty spot and who shows up? Tatum maybe? 1-0. As the first quarter ended, a well-placed Roadrunner corner kick was snatched out of the melee by Scout.

Sofia ran way up the field and her long shot on goal was tipped over the bar. Marty Puketapu got open and I bet she wants that shot back. The rest of the quarter was not that eventful, the Buffs had the ball a lot but the Roadrunners were preventing us from doing much with it. They got the ball upfield occasionally but the defenders kept it rather quiet for Scout. Corner kicks at halftime were 3-0 UTSA, and they were all dangerous.

With the exception of a small number of brief excursions towards our goal, the second half was all Buffs. Megan's crossing pass to Tatum just missed connecting. UTSA strung a few passes together that led to a dangerous crossing pass but Kayleigh or Jesse deflected it away from danger. Taylor's header just missed. The Buffs intercepted a clearing pass and had a 3 on 2 but one of the 2 got the ball out of danger. We had three corner kicks almost in a row, maybe two minutes total. Kayleigh's header went high, Taylor was shoved aside just as the ball came to her, and in a scrum in front of the net, we were off sides. ALL this possession, no shots on goal. It seemed like the Buffs had the ball forever when Jorian passed the ball to Tatum just as she got loose from defenders, 2-0. Freshman defender Cheynee Kingsbury came in and had an excellent game. She took a long run with the ball way past midfield and her pass found freshman Libby Geraghty whose header just missed. UTSA got a long pass to a forward in the box but Jesse took care of it.

Katie Joella came in and she had quite a fourth quarter. Her cross found Marty who just missed her shot. Cheynee launched a suborbital flip throw-in that led to a corner kick. Katie's shot on goal got past the keeper and was headed away by a defender. Katie then assisted on Jorian's goal, 3-0. UTSA responded with a shot on goal that was not credited on the scoreboard but was saved and sure looked on goal to me. Jorian made a long run with the ball and three defenders converged on her just as she arrived in the box, she got through them but the ball didn't. Cheynee's flip throw was snatched by the keeper right in front of the goal, Taylor was not in the game but the keeper was tall herself and might have snatched it anyway. Cheynee then launched a rocket of a regular throw-in, she can do that, too. UTSA had one more brief offensive flurry, then with two minutes left a long pass into the box was headed by a defender right past her own goalkeeper for the final score.

It was a size and talent mismatch, I don't know what the Roadrunners could have done to get a better outcome. They played hard and well and frequently disrupted what we were trying to do, but could seldom maintain possession themselves. And at times near the end I thought they looked a bit tired, there is a lot more air in the air in San Antonio than here. I would have been quite happy at 3-0. They are 2-2 after four road games, their home opener is Sunday against Grand Canyon.

Three freshmen started on defense and did well, although I think they'll be tested more on Sunday. I somehow didn't notice that Scout played the whole game. JJ was there and looked totally healthy, I sure hope this was just to give Scout playing time. VERY few teams have a #2 keeper as good as Scout.

Attendance was 359.

20. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Dang. Y’all have lost you’re entire defensive back line! Thats rough

21. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three out of four, Kelsey Aaknes is still with us and mobile. The three freshmen did pretty well yesterday, but there are sterner tests to come, starting with Iowa State tomorrow. Kayleigh Webb dropped back from holding midfielder to take Hannah's place, but she was a center back for her club team so that's no change for her at all. Losing Hannah would suck even if we hadn't lost anybody else, she is our best defender.

22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    And the Buffs still haven't conceded a goal. That's not too bad. Now, the three freshmen need to get more confidence and play in sync to keep better sides off the score sheet. (As when they go on their first road trip next weekend.)

On the flip side, the attack seems to be really gelling. Taylor is the key. She directs with her possession and passing. It helps that Tatum Barton is playing with a tremendous amount of confidence and poise. As someone else who posts here frequently has pointed out, she has a knack for being in the right place and right time and then finishing her chances. She's taken 12 shots and scored six goals. That's efficient.

23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  24. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 3, Iowa State 1 But ...

Never ask what else could possibly go wrong. There may be an answer to that question that you don't want to hear. In looking at a bad situation, never say that it can't get any worse. Oh yes it can.

Left to right, JJ Tompkins was in the net, Kelsey Aaknes, Jesse Loren, Kayleigh Webb and Sofia Weiner at defense, Sarak Kinzner the holding midfielder, Emily Groark, Taylor Kornieck and Megan Massey at midfield, and Tatum Barton and Jorian Baucom up front. Emily and Megan had switched sides.

Let's start at the end. ISU's goal came in the 89th minute and my grandmother, who has been buried in Moss Landing, California since 1971, saw the off-sides. The referee did, too, and came over to the sideline to confer with the linesman, who did not and would not make the call. Now the beginning ...

Our first shot came a minute in, Jorian Baucom shot wide. Another two minutes, and Kelsey fired a looonnnngg free kick into the box which Taylor corraled and shot, 1-0. Two more minutes and Emily's crossing pass found Megan's head, and her shot just missed. Two more minutes and Taylor stole the ball (not an intercepted pass, she just stole it from a defender) and passed to Tatum in the box who got it over to Jorian, 2-0. The rout was ... well, no it wasn't.

Kayleigh took a corner kick, a long melee in front of the net was finally cleared away. At 19 minutes, ISU got a corner kick which Kayleigh cleared. Taylor stole the ball (she does that a lot) and got it to Megan and her shot was saved but was not credited as a shot on goal and save, which it was. At the end of the first quarter, ISU got back into the run of play and stayed there for a while. They took a long shot hard on goal, JJ caught it, shot on goal and save were not counted. A corner kick led to a high header from Taylor. The Buffs' passes seemed to be not very accurate, although the Cyclones might have had something to do with that. Then ISU got a breakaway into the box, JJ came out and slid to block the shot. At the 41st minute, in came Camilla Shymka!! Been out with an unhappy hamstring, which she may have retweaked.

Same starters for the second half except Nancy Best stayed in the game. ISU had a good start to the half, quickly a crossing pass to an open player was snatched by JJ. Megan got the ball to Tatum in the box but she shot right at the goalkeeper, I think she might want that one back. A kind of long and very hard ISU shot deflected off of Taylor right to JJ. A very long and very hard free kick was just tipped over the bar by JJ. We were being outplayed. Then, in the 55th minute ... Taylor went down and out, helped off the field. Ankle. See the first paragraph.

A minute later, Tatum missed what looked like a tap-in. Emily's line drive corner kick wound up at Jesse and her shot was deflected in but it was likely on its way in anyway, 3-0. Jesse is a formidable presence on corner kicks and I think we are going to see a lot more of that. At 66 minutes with Kelsey already out for a breather, Cheynee Kingsbury came in and we had four freshman defenders. I wonder if any of them know who the Four Freshmen were. The ancients like me know. A corner kick came to Jesse whose shot was deflected just wide. The enduing corner kick came to Jesse whose header was just high. Cheynee took about a 30-yard throw-in that was NOT a flip. You have to see this. She is not a mutant, her arms and shoulders look perfectly normal, how does she do that? Instead of a Cyclone calling for a fair catch (would have been a hand ball), the throw was sent out of bounds, this time her throw-in was a flip very high and into the box, the ball came right back to her and she passed it into the box and a long melee in front of the goal ended when the keeper pounced on the ball. Isobel Dalton took a long free kick that just barely missed the upper corner of the goal. Katie Joella crossed to Marty Puketapu in the box but her shot was saved. ISU got the ball to the end line and the cross got past JJ but the waiting Cyclone could not quite corral it and it continued to a defender who cleared it. A 35-40 yard free kick went right to JJ, and then … well, the defense could have cleared it and didn’t.

Coach Sanchez had this to say about the goal: "When you have a team that is hungry, scrapping, and fighting until the end, you are going to give up those chances." Which Iowa State was. It will be interesting to see a replay of that goal.

Shots were 18-9, on goal 9-5, corner kicks 9-3.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  25. Katalyst

Katalyst Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    CU finally getting rankings respect...this weekend will be a true test without three top players. The girls are confident now so hopefully they can continue to keep the momentum and the great work in the final third. There is still very solid talent out there and this will be great for the freshman to getting ready for Pac 12 play. Anyone with news on Kornieck? I noticed she did not return. Maybe Greening will be back in time for this weekend? Doesnt look like the game will be televised on Thursday..:(. Oh well. Go Buffs!