2018 Colorado Buffaloes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Feb 7, 2018.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    OOPS, Bufffs have a match Sunday afternoon v Northern Colorado at 3 pm. It's been moved to Kittredge Field which is where LAX plays. I assume due to the snow that fell on Friday.

6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

8. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 2 Northern Colorado 1

Typical Buffs-Bears game. I’ve seen quite a few of them and they are all about the same … Buffs have an edge in talent, Bears play very well, Buffs win a close one. Happened again today.

This was game 2 of a double-header. Lacrosse defeated Arizona State 16-3 in the opener. ASU is a first year team that gave the Pac-12 a sixth team which is enough to have a conference. CU is tied with Stanford for first in the Pac-12 with a record of 6-1. Back to soccer.

The Buffs had a bit of an edge in the run of play in the first quarter and scored at the end of it on a fairly simple play … Defender Kelsey Aaknes ran down the field with the ball and stuck it in the net. Possession favored the Buffs somewhat in the second quarter also, but UNC’s goalkeepers (the starter sat out for a while with an injury) made some good saves and stuffed a couple of promising breakaways.

The second half started the same, CU had a couple of scoring chances that UNC handled, but then possession began to fall UNC’s way. We were having a hard time getting the ball past midfield, and at the very beginning of the fourth quarter, UNC held the ball long enough to string some passes together and an open shot just eluded Scout’s leap, 1-1. We then had a couple of scoring chances, so did the Bears, and with just over five minutes left a CU corner kick resulted in a melee in front of the net and I didn’t see how but Marty Puketapu somehow propelled the ball into the net for the win.

Taylor Kornieck did not play, don’t know why, she appeared healthy and intact before and after the game.

Spring soccer continues next Sunday vs Wyoming at Prentup Field.

9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

12. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 5 Colorado State 0

It was not that close.

Buffs 3 FC Boulder 0

They outplayed us most of the game. Not that we did anything wrong, they are just very good. Scout blocked a penalty kick.

Details tomorrow. I'm driving over the mountains this evening to visit the family and I need to get going, it will be dark well before I get there.

13. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #38 derbarkasmann, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Buffs 5 Colorado State 0 continued

Mostly cloudy, not very warm, with a strong wind blowing across the field east to west. There was a large number of Ram People there. Wyoming apparently has an overabundance of injuries and they had a game in Laramie today and two in one weekend with a depleted roster was asking a lot of the survivors, so this gave Colorado State an opportunity to pick up a game so they did. It was not their afternoon.

Except at the beginning. But for a missed long shot at an open net and some early heroics by Scout Watson, the Rams could very easily have led 3-0 after six minutes. The remaining 54 minutes were just about all Buffs.

Stephanie Zuniga assisted on both goals last Sunday against Northern Colorado. She did more than that in the first quarter yesterday. After the Rams' six minute onslaught, the Buffs took over and hit the goalpost four minutes later. A minute after that, Nancy Best found Stephanie kind of unguarded, 1-0. Another minute later, Stephanie passed to an open Megan Massey, 2-0. Near the end of the first quarter, another Stephanie to Megan pass resulted in a blast off the crossbar which bounced almost straight down at an onrushing Tatum Barton, 3-0. At 25 minutes we substituted, if you consider players like Taylor Kornieck, Jorian Baucom, Marty Puketapu and Sarah Kinzner to be substitutes. And Katie Joella, who maybe 30 seconds after she came in, found herself just outside the box with the ball, fired hard, 4-0.

From that time on, almost constant CU pressure was handled well by Ram defenders who didn't yield very many clear chances. At the very end of the half Katie dribbled through a few defenders and found an open Jorian whose rocket sailed just over the crossbar. A few minutes into the second half, Sofia Weiner launched a long blistering shot from the right side that smashed off the crossbar. Three minutes later, she took the exact same shot but a bit lower and the GK leaped and barely tipped it into the crossbar. Not that I want to run up a score, but with all this possession, could we get just one more? Cassie Phillips said yes in the 72nd minute. Thus ended the scoring in a very dominant 54 minutes of soccer.

Not to say that the Rams had no offense, they did, but the defenders stifled what they had.

After the game I discovered that Katie Joella has a sister. Even better news, she also plays soccer. Alas, my hopes were crushed, she'll play for Missouri.

14. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 3 FC Boulder 0 continued

After I warmed up in the car for a while, I came back out and all that air that had blown against the mountains decided to turn around and head for Kansas, so now the cold wind was west to east across the field.

FC Boulder has a group of mostly (all?) former college players, not very big, and as old as 48. That's forty-eight, not a typo. And they are good. I mean, really good. Fortunately, we got off to a great start.

They have a forward, number 3, not very tall, but fast. She looks SO FAMILIAR. I must have had some brain cells blow away, now on their way to Kansas. Who can she be?

Six minutes in, Jorian Baucom put a move on a defender, then the goalkeeper, 1-0. Erin Greening took a great shot that resulted in the Save of the Day by the FCB GK. Maybe 30 seconds later, Marty Puketapu launched an unsaveable shot, 2-0. Then the aforementioned number 3 took off on a long fast breakaway and I KNOW WHO THAT IS ... HAYLEY HUGHES !! Except she's not Hughes any more, some lucky man ... anyway, JJ Tompkins brilliantly stuffed the breakaway. At the end of the first quarter, Marty Puketapu and the ball were wide open in the right side of the box, Jorian was wide open in the left side of the box, there was a defender somewhere because Marty passed up on her open shot to pass to Jorian, there was no offsides, Jorian took her shot, and for the second time today, the Buffs led 3-0 after the first quarter. Thus ended the similarities between the two games. FC Boulder was fast and passed extremely well and all of a sudden the Buffs had a handful on their hands.

JJ made two spectacular saves maybe 30 seconds apart. FC Boulder disrupted everything the Buffs tried to do. Three shots in quick succession were blocked by Buff defenders. Speaking of ... who is that tall #2 on the other side of the field. Could it be? Sure is ... Joss Orajel. JJ made another excellent save off a shot from a corner kick. And a leaping save of a long hard shot. The Buffs were playing very well to preserve the shutout at halftime.

Scout Watson came in for the second half and she would be tested. Just into the second half, a Buff leveled a defender in the box. A justifiable penalty kick, which Scout blocked. Three Buffs on a breakaway had one defender to deal with, the GK didn't like these odds so she flew out of the net and pounced on the ball. Camilla Shymka took off on a breakaway and a defender ran her down, I have never seen a defender catch Camilla when she had a couple of steps. A wide open close-in shot went right at Scout. I didn't take many notes in the second half, I was just enjoying some great soccer. FC Boulder continued to be impressively good, and the Buffs were playing as well as they could. This game was a test, and the Buffs passed the test.

I was going to leave at halftime because I had a long drive last night, but this game was too good to leave. Do I sound like I was impressed with FC Boulder? You bet I was. I hope we play them every spring, and I will communicate this to the coaches when I get back to Boulder.

15. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jon, soccer is 90 minutes, not 60. 90 minus 6 is 84, not 54. I watched two CU lacrosse games on TV this weekend, those are 60 minutes. Easily confused in my old age.

Speaking of lacrosse, the Buffs just won the Pac-12.

16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I believe that in many of the spring games, especially when there are two in one day they may only play 60 minutes total. But I bet Jon will let us know when he's back to post again.

18. arcadiandj

arcadiandj Member

May 3, 2016
    Thank you so much for your wonderful summaries. They are such a wonderful gift to those of us who can't be there.

19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  20. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both games were 90 minutes.

21. allwashedup

allwashedup New Member

Reign FC
    Canada
    Apr 25, 2018
    I see they are hiring an assistant coach. Does anyone know who is leaving and why?

22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

I basically agree with what's being stated in this article. CU will most likely have the best team in school history this fall. Lots of talent and depth on the attacking end in particular.

23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  25. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States