2018 Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'Coach' started by stphnsn, Jan 5, 2018.

1. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    happy new year, guys! i hope everyone had good holidays.

my wife and i were talking about resolutions last night, and she's resolved to be more supportive of my coaching this year. that kind of caught me off guard. i'd felt like she was as supportive as i could ever hope for a non-soccer person to be.

do you guys have anything you're hoping to improve for 2018? one of my goals is to make up my training plans at least the day before the session so i can get them to my assistants to review before they arrive at the fields.

elessar78 and rca2 repped this.
  2. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    anyone read tom byer's book "soccer starts at home"? it's very light on actual suggestions other than getting your kids to play with the ball as early and as often as possible. it's focused on 6Us. tom's theses are that kids can develop ball skills much earlier than previously thought and that we're doing them a disservice by not teaching them ball control before they get into organized soccer. he also stresses teaching 6U kids to keep the ball and play with it rather than kicking it away. this contradicts ussf's coaching curriculum which emphasizes general physical education and sprinkling in soccer for 6Us and 8Us. ussf recommends focusing heavily on technique once kids pass 8U.

anyone have experience to add? i'm going to be working with out 6Us as their academy coach this spring so i'm interested to hear real-world insight. tom's experience is probably atypical given that he's a former pro player and current development coach who set out from the beginning to use his own kids as an experiment to prove his own ideas.

3. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Start making your new coaching plan right after your next game or your last practice until you think it is perfect. But adjust it during your your next practice when you see player weakness or some team weakness. So you might change your plan twenty times or more before the next game or the next practice. I actually enjoyed doing that. Funny thing after I retired from coaching I can’t get myself to do it on coaching sites any more.

I met my wife while I was playing in a game here in Brooklyn. We were married 6 months later. So I know she used to dig the game. That changed when we went to Italy for a week. I was at an invitational in another city for the week and left her in a Rome to shop. Then for thirty years she never seen me during our home games. Because I was watching all our teams home games on Saturdays and Sundays.

Now we are both losing our hearing. Now we never argue I just nod my head ok to everything she says so I don’t actually hear what she is saying I just go with she wants. So she is happy. One of my kids thought hearing aides would be good for us I told her what do you want us to devorced after 53 years together.

4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My 7 year old burned me on this last week. I was on her about now getting her touches and ball mastery work done.

She responded by saying that she does. She's always moving around the house kicking a ball, kicking various objects—to the point that it drives her mom crazy. I had to concede the point to her. On the field, I have no great misgivings about her play. She controls the ball well enough for her age.

To that point, she scored two goals this weekend but those weren't the highlights for me. She was dribbling at a defender on the wing, and then she makes this fluid inside cut with her left foot and rolls it across the face of goal for her teammate. Teammate missed the goal but the move and her vision made me proud. Second moment was late in the game, we're up 8-2. Opponents get by us and are basically shooting at an open net six yards out. My kid had hustled back from striker/center mid and cleared the ball off the line. There's lots of little things about her game that I love.

J'can, rca2 and stphnsn repped this.
  5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Been working with that age group for about the past two years. Tom Byer is a Coerver guy, as am I. I think it's the best method to developing great ball handlers. The ball mastery stuff is pretty rote, so you have to find a way to make it fun for the 5YOs. They are still on the very young side, so don't get frustrated if they're not learning as quickly as you'd like. IMO, your main goal is to get them to develop a love for soccer that they want to keep coming back. My latest thing is that all players need to experience success. Not as kumbaya, everyone gets a trophy sense, they need to succeed doing the skill for example.

rca2 and stphnsn repped this.
  6. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
  7. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    That is the most important key to athlete development. The practice must be challenging, but not so challenging as to be impossible. Not difficult to manage in individual sports, but in a group training session like soccer the developmental coach is challenged constantly to adjust so that each individual has an appropriately challenging session.

Otherwise the practice sessions will only efficiently develop some of the group.

8. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    beyond that, you may have to figure out some strategies for kids that are not comfortable in sports/team/competitive settings or shy kids or slightly autistic kids. Or kids that are brought there by their parents, but who have no interest. Or kids who are okay being disruptive or challenging authority. Not saying this to scare you, but it's good to have an idea of how to deal with them.

I went to a national youth license and all the kids there were athletic, liked soccer, wanted to be there.

The DOC gave out soccer stickers and pencils at the end. That was a good strategy.

9. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i've been looking for a good dynamic warmup program for a while, and i just came across the fifa 11+ program this weekend. they claim to reduce injuries overall as well as reducing the seriousness of injuries that do happen. i wonder what they're comparing to with their statistics. anyone use this? thoughts? alternate ideas?

http://usclubsoccer.org/playersfirst/offerings/11-plus/

10. Peter Rival

Peter Rival Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Those are moments that almost can't be coached. It's so easy for kids - even adults (I'm looking at you, USMNT) - to get caught ball watching in situations like this ... to see someone at that age not only see what's happening but know what to do, and to do it even though her "job" is at the other end of the pitch ... that's something special. A keeper's best friend right there, that's for sure.

elessar78 repped this.
  11. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I think they have the statistics to back up their claim, but be careful. Only the first part of the program is a warmup. It is a strength program. Improving strength reduces the risk of injury. You don't want to do the full program as a pre-match warmup.

12. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, I can't claim that I taught her that. She doesn't watch sports on screens. The most she's watched is if I pull up videos of Ronaldinho, Zidane, or Pele. She doesn't play other sports either—so I think it's just an innate understanding.

I recall watching one of those embedded NFL documentaries and Gregg Williams was a defensive coordinator for the, then, St. Louis Rams: see ball, get ball.

13. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm in the midst of doing player evaluations for the midyear. My players are so young that it's tough in the sense that there is so much to work on. I'm leaning toward: identifying their best trait or skill and having them improve that. In other words, instead of shoring up a weakness, improve a strong suit.

14. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i'd identify one weakness per kid and give that as a focus for improvement. then tell them a few of their strengths and encourage them to keep working on them as well.

15. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I don't see any value in identifying "weaknesses" and "strengths" to players (like advanced players) when teaching fundamentals. Many fundamentals cannot be worked on independently and those that can--ball skills--everyone should be improving. At that stage training plans are not individualized.

I see it as purely form over substance.

16. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i guess i didn't stop and think about the age group he's working with. if they're 8Us, you're probably right. it's not worth picking one thing to focus on. if we're talking about 14Us, that's different.

rca2 repped this.
  17. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Only indirectly related to me, but the 7th grade indoor team that my daughter is coaching is having a great season. They are playing really well and have only lost once.

I hope some of the confidence carries over to the spring.

18. Peter Rival

Peter Rival Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Maybe a little advanced (or a lot advanced) for the age groups many here are coaching, but I found the analysis here very insightful. Being an Everton fan this year has been, well, let's just say an exercise in patience.

http://evertonthat.com/2018/01/21/west-brom-h-analysis-in-pictures/

Perhaps the biggest take-away for me is spatial awareness. Being in the right space at the right time in the right body position is something anyone can do regardless of on-the-ball talent and yet is something that is missed even at the highest levels. Yet there's so much to teach both on-the-ball and off that I don't know how easily you can coach something like this directly.

I've been reading Pep Confidential lately and I was struck at how he worked relentlessly on this type of shape and spatial understanding early on at Bayern and also at how difficult some high-level pros found to learn the concepts. How early is too early to start working on this concept?

Finally, since my brain is wandering just a little bit, I'm reminded of Cal Ripken, the Hall of Fame shortstop/third baseman for the Baltimore Orioles. Even early in his career he knew he was never going to be the quickest player nor the strongest, and those are usually death to a player's career at that position. What he did, however, was study enough to always be in the right place to make what could have been a difficult or impossible play look easy. One step to the right, easy play, one step to the left, clean base hit.

I see this a lot both on offense and defense in soccer: on offense, players insist they have to get completely beyond a defender before they can shoot, when in fact the shot from just outside the defender is the hardest for the keeper to react to (due to reduced reaction time from not seeing the body wind up for the shot); on defense players think that hustling to the ball is the best move when in fact often what they most need to do is trust the closest defender and maintain their spacing. I think seeing this post-facto on video is the easiest way to teach this, but I have to believe there are others.

stphnsn repped this.
  19. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    #19 rca2, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Peter, when you teach fundamentals--including the principles of play--that is teaching positioning. Reading the play comes with experience. The 3 most important things are fundamentals, fundamentals and fundamentals.

"If you keep too busy learning the tricks of the trade, you may never learn the trade." -- John Wooden

My personal belief is that the mental skills are not taught, rather they improve from using them. The smart players at age 25 were also the smart players at age 12. The 25 year-olds are much better players because they have loads more experience and much better athletic and technical skills. I have seen plenty of tactically dumb adult players with loads of experience. I have also seen novices that were tactically smart.

20. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    @Peter Rival, as a milan fan, i feel your pain. body positioning for receiving and delivery to the correct foot has been something i've noted to be lacking from milan this year. thanks for mentioning the pep book. i'm putting it on my ever-growing list.

21. PirateCaptain

PirateCaptain Member

Sevilla
    United States
    Oct 6, 2016
    Bozeman
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any thoughts on whether there is a benefit to having players use small balls (size 1 or even tennis balls) to develop control?

22. Peter Rival

Peter Rival Member

Oct 21, 2015
    I'd say that's both true and not true. Some people look tactically "dumb" because they simply don't know what to look for; some look so because they're constitutionally incapable of situational awareness. Sometimes kids just need to be shown what to do or look for in a way that's different than what they've been exposed to so far. I do really think that we'll find there's a strong similarity in learning styles for this type of learning as there is to other learning in school.

A lot of the kids I've worked with have started with near-zero situational awareness. Even some of the kids that come to us from club soccer miss simple concepts like letting a ball run rather than knocking it down and then starting from a dead stop in the same direction. Almost invariably (with the exception of a few who I have yet to reach) once you show them the "inputs" ("when you see a situation like this") and "good outputs" ("move here / turn this way / etc.") they learn to apply them to similar but not identical situations. For most of these kids these were not fundamentals they needed to learn, but rather applications they had not yet discerned of fundamentals they already had.

To counter-point the Wooden quote, which is entirely accurate, most of these situations involved less than thirty seconds of instruction. We're not talking about asking someone off the street to make a perfect Cruyff turn, rather "here's a perfect place to use a technique you already know" or perhaps "tweak it just a little and it will be much more effective".

Personally, and this is just my perspective, we give kids far too little credit for being able to absorb and apply. There's a lot of distance between rote foundational fundamentals and informational overload. How we work in that space can make a huge difference in the development, both mental and physical, of these kids. JMNSHO.

23. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    My response Peter is that if the players understand the principles of play, then you don't have to instruct them on when to use a Cruyff Turn.

I don't believe in teaching dribbling by teaching pre-packaged "moves." The Cruyff turn is a good example of my concern. On the internet I see coaches teaching little kids playing 3v3 with popup goals how to do a Cruyff turn before they learn to cross. There isn't even any wing play. Most of the demonstrations of the turn on the internet omit the fake cross all together. Some of the coaches I suspect don't even know it is a fake cross. Once wing play becomes part of the game, fake crosses are naturally a common occurrence.

Faking on the wing and then cutting inside is really easy since markers always overplay your outside foot in the assumption that it is the dominant foot. There is no reason to identify one right way of beating the fullback. Sometimes they overplay so much you don't even have to fake. The secret is being 2-footed, fundamentals again.

24. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    As an adult coach I kept different size balls, even a futsal ball, in my ball bag. Not because I thought there was a technical benefit, it was purely for players to have fun with them. I think keeping things fun is an important objective of coaching at all levels. We call them soccer players, not soccer workers.

25. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I believe so. It requires a lighter touch to manage the smaller balls. The ability to "micro-adjust" your touch is essential to becoming a really good player.