2018 Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Jan 1, 2018.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #128 MRAD12, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Listen to this podcast by Sandra. Very cool. Interview with Katie Naughton and Sarah Gordon. Much inside stuff.

https://www.hottimeinoldtown.com/20...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Chicago, may not get the every game attendance that the thorns get, but the Red Stars have the best solid fan foundation in the league next to Portland, IMO. The 3,000 that show up every game are SOLID. They have been there loyally for 10 years. We just have to add to it.

59Amerinorsk and CoachJon repped this.
  2. William49

William49 Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Chicagoland
    I bumped into Sarah Gorden one night in the cheese aisle at Jewel a couple of weeks ago. To be honest, I don't think she's used to getting recognized in public; she seemed more than a bit "caught off-guard" that I knew her by name.

Very nice...we just chatted for a quick minute...I didn't want to be a bother.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great of you to let her know that you were a fan and knew who she was. I think that means a lot to the players.

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Completely unrelated, but in 2017 Japanese coach Asako Takakura had brought a 2nd Division player to Algarve Cup (Sonoko Chiba: you could maybe remember her name, because she had previously played in a double-header vs USWNT in 2016). Since she wasn't even playing in Nadeshiko League's 1st Division and she hadn't took part to any big international tournament before, not even with youth teams, I guess she was probably assuming that almost no-one could know her or recognize her internationally.

I was in Algarve that year and, after watching a 2-0 win by Japan vs Iceland in that tournament, I had a chance to meet the players before they took their bus back to the hotel: and I didn't only look for the best-known names (Sakaguchi, Utsugi, Sameshima, Yokoyama, Hasegawa...), but I also stopped by Sonoko Chiba and I politely called her by name (adding the common -san courtesy honorific) while asking her for an autograph and a photo. She looked startled that a western man like me knew her name and recognized her right away, but also proud that I wanted to ask especially to her for an autograph. Her wide smile in the photo makes me think that she was quite happy about that. :giggle:

59Amerinorsk and cpthomas repped this.
  5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't know how to say this any nicer, but the Red Stars played like crap last night.
    It had nothing to do with how good Orlando played as they weren't anything special either.

Red Stars are missing something in midfield and it is showing.
    Why didn't Rory start Yuki?

Also the word at the game was that Julie hurt her back weight lifting, that's why she was out.

6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Good question that I was wondering about too. :coffee:

Inserting her at 81', after being 0-2 already, seems like a desperation move, made too much late.

7. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    OMG:eek:
    CRS was sooooooooo sluggish. They were like playing this weird zone defense in the first half giving Orlando roaming rights all over the field. The ref stunk a bit, too.:mad: Usually they are playing woman to woman aggressive defense and always stealing the ball from their opponents. They looked tired and uninterested (I know they were interested but their body language....). I think the fact that they have played 100 games already and most of the other teams have played three or four games is catching up to them big time! Plus, they have key players not available to insert/start (Short, Ertz, DiBernardo, McCaffrey) so the others become workhorses with little rest. I just hope we can rebound against NC (of all teams, we have to play next) somehow.

blissett and MRAD12 repped this.
  8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    She was actually at the 4th officials table ready to go when it was 1-0 and then Orlando scored, and then she came in.

But, yes, why is Arin Gilliland playing forward? She is not a forward. she may have scored a couple of goals in the Australian League but this isn't Australia, this is NWSL. Gilliland has no last touch what-so-ever,. She may try to run at the box, often wildly, but when she gets there she has not idea how to take a shot.

Yuki should have been up front with Kerr.

The coaching staff lost this game. Period.

CoachJon, SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, ok, so at least Dames had thought about inserting her a little in advance. But giving her 10 minutes wasn't going to be enough anyway, considering how unproductive CRS' offense had been so far.

MRAD12 repped this.
  10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm at my wits end with this team.

It is so hard being a Red Stars fan. Lots of fun but hard.

In the famous words of Forest Gump, "Red Stars are like a box of Chocolates, you never know what your gonna get". :confused:

CoachJon repped this.
  11. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    How is it that Chicago is playing its 8th game--and six in 2.5 weeks!--while Jersey just played its 4th game last night. The schedule is crazy and clearly has not helped Chicago.

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is this good news for the Red Stars looking toward the future?

Myrtle repped this.
  13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Looks like Indigo Gibson will not be playing for the Red Stars. She has decided to go s different direction from soccer:

Too bad. I was hoping she would be on the squad. Red Stars can use another central defender.

blissett repped this.
  14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    News is starting to come out about the Tournament of Nations.
    From Japanese Federation on Jonathan Tannenwald Twitter.

blissett, can you interpret?

http://www.jfa.jp/women/news/00017544/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So they have Kansas City... and they have Hartford, which really isn't that far from Boston.

Someone has a very sick sense of humor.

16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Since it seemed to me that it was something not only CRS' fans could have been interested to, I've answered you on the News & Media thread. ;)

Well, it could be sick sense of humor or maybe somehow rewarding the fans that just lost their respective franchises? ;) Let's see the good side of it.

MRAD12 repped this.
  17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #149 MRAD12, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    blissett repped this.