2018 Canadian Championship

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Robert Borden, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    AS Blainville wins 2-1.
    The return leg is June 13 in Blainville.

Very entertaining game!!! Strong and very passionate crowd in Laval. Soccer popularity is being unbelievably underestimated.

2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why are both games being played in Quebec?

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My bad. Return game in Oakville

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    1004527559575588864 is not a valid tweet id

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    dantasu repped this.
  6. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Anyone find an attendance for the match? I don't see a box score or numerical game report on the CSA website.

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rough estimate was around 1000. It was full. That game has turned heads within Canada soccer on all fronts.

The untapped potential of soccer in this country is very real and CPL will capitalize on it as it plans to occupy all top 3 divisions.

8. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Leg two, Blainville at Ottawa tonight. Being up 1-0, Ottawa will want to score quickly to put this one away.

9. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    And Ottawa is through 2-0 on aggregate. No D3 upset this year.

10. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    But if he wants to remain in charge of CCF he has to proceed without alienating it's smaller members. Right now there are a number of Carribean and some Central American sides without direct access to the CCL and to give a startup Canadian side a second berth without considering upping the berths for countries like Costa Rica, Honduras or giving auto slots to Carribean sides who may arguably be better than any CPL side in the short term is a good way to make oneself an ex-CONCACAF president. So I do think that if Canada does get a second spot, it will likely require an overall re-expansion of the CCL as a whole, perhaps adding another knockout round prior to the round that the current automatic sides enter on. That would allow Canada's second spot to be accompanied by second spots for CR, Honduras and perhaps other CA sides as well as maybe one or two automatic spots for the most deserving Carribean sides.

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There's been rumors about CCL expanding. That's the most likely outcome

Unak78 repped this.
  12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like 15 clubs starting in the CCL and 16 clubs starting in the CL 4 rounds earlier. What I would like is a 32 club tournament with Round 1 having 16 clubs, Round 2 having 8 Round 1 winners and 8 new clubs, and Round 3 having 8 Round 2 winners and 8 new clubs. The total would be 6 rounds. There could be 3 rounds in the fall and 3 rounds in the following winter and spring. The increase from 31 clubs in the CL and CCL combined to 32 could be the CPL champion. I don't think there are enough good clubs to make the tournament(s) need more than 32.

13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Rumors are talking about a 32 team Champions league with the CONCACAF league being a "Europa League" tournaments.

Rumors claims 8 groups of 4 teams for champions league.

A super cup game between CCL and CL champion in the US.

Unak78 repped this.
  14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do Whitecaps fans put up with Robinson? The dude is braindead.

17. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Great game by Osorio. He controlled the middle of the pitch for TFC and clearly stood out (even aside from the goal). With some better finishing by others TFC could have had a second or even a third goal.

I was impressed with the athleticism of several of the Ottawa players. They were overmatched by what was largely a TFC B squad by not by much and could have gotten a better result if they'd caught a couple of breaks. Irwin finished strong but was a bit spotty earlier in not coming out for some balls and thereby giving Ottawa better chances than they should have had.

I'd comment on the TFC supporter's group but that would only draw attention to their idiocy.

I am disappointed that, like the rest of the Canadian Championship games this year, no attendance figure was given. I was at the game and they didn't even announce it there. By eyeball I'd say there were the same or very slightly more fans than last year's Ottawa-TFC game which would mean an attendance of 7500 to 8000.

dantasu and Robert Borden repped this.
  18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Caps are an abomination of an organization. Even their own fans and season holders were so unhappy that the team held a meeting to try to reset the relationship.

19. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    So 2-2 in the opening leg of the final.

As a TFC fan, I'm disappointed that (once again) TFC wasn't able to bury a team that was down a man. I'm starting to think TFC should just decline the penalty when offered a red card as they seem to play worse under those conditions. Nice goal by Osorio, though, and coming home with two away goals is useful.

For Vancouver, if TFC does win the Voyageurs Cup again, that veeery late own goal will go down with weather restarts, Montreal coughing up 6 at home, Will Johnson's broken-leg stoppage time goal, and other craziness in the Curse of the Canadian Championship.

20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Next year's Canadian Championship will truly be special with 8 CPL teams joining the tournament.

There strong indication that the CSA will increase the quota for Canadian content for next year's tournament to level the playing field.

It will be very competitive next year

21. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm curious what the final format will be. With 13 teams (two D3, 8 CPL, 3 MLS) maybe they do a knock out among the D3 and CPL teams to get down to five and then add the MLS teams to get to eight? Potentially a lot more games for a given team unless they go to single elimination.

We'll have to see what Canadian content rules ultimately apply. It would make it easier for the CPL teams to compete if the MLS teams had to play more Canadians. It would also be silly for the CSA to handicap our best teams going into a continental tournament. Personally, I'm more interested in seeing Canada do well in the CCL than I am in whether the CPL teams can win the Voyageurs Cup.

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't believe that there should be "bye" for the 3 MLS clubs. I think you invite the finalists of both PLSQ and L1O and the next best team and have a 16 teams KO tournament
    PLSQ-2
    L10-2
    D3 next best team-1
    MLS-3
    CPL-8

CPL will be required to play 6 Canadians at all time while D3 are primarily Canadians. CSA should increase their requirement to 6 as well for MLS.

The tournament is in the summer unless the CSA drags it out to the fall to coincide with the end of the CPL season. That's PLENTY of time for the 3 MLS teams to adjust their rosters at the next transfer window for a potential CCL run.

This isn't about helping CPL teams win the tournament, it's about having more Canadians play in a domestic cup. If that happens to force the MLS teams to produce more quality players, than even better.

23. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    If concacaf allows the participation of two Canadian clubs for the year 2019-2020. The format of the 2019 Canadian Championship would be different .

It's just matter of time that Canada has two clubs participating in the Concacaf Champion League

24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not necessarily. It's expected for the 2nd CCL berth to go to the Canadian Premier League Champion

25. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    This would work. (As would a number of different options.) Seeding may still be useful, however, both to help limit the number of games as the tournament continues to grow and because there isn't much point in games between D3 teams and MLS teams.

CPL teams are required to play six Canadians in their league games. The Canadian Championship can have whatever rules it wants.

Put another way, the D3 teams are only allowed three foreign players per team. Should we say that the CSA should increase the Voyageurs Cup roster requirement to practically all Canadian as well for CPL and MLS? Or should the D3 teams be entitled to bring in foreigners for the Voyageurs Cup to level the playing field?

Setting the content requirement to a level that "just happens" to match that required by one league, thereby disadvantaging teams from the other leagues, would totally be pandering to the CPL. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Personally, I think the MLS teams would win the Canadian Championship with the teams they have, even with an increased Canadian content requirement. That aside, I don't think there are very many Canadians playing outside of Europe who could step on to the MLS teams without causing a drop in the level of play. As a fan of Canadian soccer, I don't necessarily want Europe-based Canadian players coming to MLS. I'd rather see more going in the Alphonso Davies direction.