2018 Canadian Championship

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Robert Borden, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    A second Canadian spot would probably have to play in the CONCACAF League, with the winner of that league getting a spot in the CCL.

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The burning question/drama is which spot would the CSA send to the CONCACAF League and which spot would enter CCL?

Precedents points to League champion > Domestic Cup

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    If they want the best Canadian team in the CCL they should give that spot to the V Cup winner and let the CPL slot go to the CONCACAF League.

That way if a CPL team is the best Canadian team they'll be in the CCL but, if the best team is not a CPL team, Canada still gets its best team in the CCL and the CPL still gets its best team into the CONCACAF League.

Of course, they could always choose instead to award the two spots to the V Cup winner and runner up. Then we'd get the two best teams regardless of league.

4. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    That's what I was thinking, but really, what MLS team is going to want to expend energy down the playoff stretch to play extra games? Leave that spot to the CPL teams so they can see how the league measures up to the rest of CONCACAF. And having both teams winning a spot to the CCL would make the Canadian Championship final less exciting.

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The number of games in the V Cup would be the same whether both finalists or only the winner advance into CONCACAF. Having both advance would be less exciting although I think the difference between the CL and CCL would be worth playing for.

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of giving the CPL a guaranteed spot. I want Canada represented by our strongest teams regardless of league.

(Also, it has been speculated here that Canada would get a second CONCACAF spot but nowhere have I seen anything from CONCACAF suggesting that that would necessarily happen. Until then, it's really a moot point.)

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I can tell you're such a fan of Canadian soccer. Wow...

Canada should be no different than the rest of CONCACAF. It's league (Division champion) should go to CCL like everyone else.

End of story. There's nothing preventing MLS clubs to go to CCL via the V Cup.

dantasu repped this.
  7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    That comes across as sarcastic. It doesn't become you. It would be easy for those of us who are not so blindly enthusiastic about the CPL to mock your posts, but we don't because mockery does not advance discussion. I have been a fan of Canadian soccer for decades and will remain one whether I share your faith in the CPL or not.

Except that Canada is different than the rest of CONCACAF in that its best club teams do not play in its domestic league. There will be nothing to prevent CPL teams from going to the CCL via the V Cup if they can actually earn their way in as Canada's best teams. But, as I said before, this is all moot until CONCACAF actually gives Canada a second spot.

Unak78 and When Saturday Comes repped this.
  8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #33 Robert Borden, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    If the 3 MLS clubs wants to claim both CCL spots, they know what to do. The CSA has absolutely zero incentive to accommodate the 3 MLS clubs over their domestic league.

Don't forget that the CSA will be a major shareholder in CPL, it's in their absolute best interest to make the CPL Cup a major thing in Canada to hasten the success of the league AND give Canadians more playing time...so Its champion absolutely needs a CCL spot attached to it.

I'll be fair an try to see things from your perspective. On the narrative, you're 100% right that the best teams in the short term will be in MLS. However, let me ask you this:
    • What's the point in doing what you're suggesting when the final result will be the same? Getting obliterated by Mexican clubs.
    I'd agree with you if winning the CCL was very close/within reach, however, we're still far from that happening. So might as well build up the league so we have multiple clubs in the long run becoming competitive. Denying the CPL champions a spot in CCL is denying so many Canadians the valuable learning experience of playing teams above their level and being exposed to different styles. How can they improve if they don't face those clubs and hostile CONCACAF environment? Why would you do that?

That's why I question how much of a fan you are of Canadian soccer. You seem more interested in having a MLS club winning that barely play Canadians at times (bragging rights?) in the short term instead of looking at the future by doing the necessary ground work to improved... but we not only need our own league, but we need it to succeed so more money are invested on our players.

I don't mean to be sarcastic and I will tone it down, but I stand by what I'm saying.

They will, it's called winning the domestic Cup by playing 4 to 5 times more games than the MLS clubs do in the V Cup to earn that right + the games in the V-Cup. Why should it be the CSA problem if winning the Supporter's Shield or MLS Cups means nothing to for 3 clubs? That's unfortunate but that's their choice. The CSA doesn't have to compensate for that choice.

Last time I checked, Victor Montagliani is still the CONCACAF president and Vice-President of FIFA...same man who made CPL happen...And we all know what he thinks of MLS deep down.

I'll take any bets you want over this...It's happening

9. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I'd like to share your enthusiasm, but after the Eusebio Cup debacle in Hamilton, I get the feeling a big wrench was just thrown in the CPL financial strategy. I'm not as sure it's happening in 2019 as you are.

10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i don't see how a cancelled friendly has anything to do with CPL. its unrelated

11. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    From what I understand, SUM/MLS gets a portion of revenues from friendlies hosted in the US, which helps the MLS bottom line. If part of the CPL model of financial sustainability was in the form of friendly revenues and this game was a trial balloon, then this result does not bode well and they will have to focus on other sources of revenue.

12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Montagliani did hint at a similar structure CPL/CSA SUM. However, that friendly wasn't related to that at all, same way Cosmos vs. Valencia was unrelated to CPL.

13. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not directly in terms of money. However, the idea is that they're monitoring what the attendance is at those two friendlies to get a sense of what the market is and what they're willing to pay. They're not involved with the planning but I do think that they're keeping an eye on what the best practices are.

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    True, they are watching whats going on in term of enthousiam and attendance

Cosmos vs Valencia: over 15k showed up for the game in Regina. I was literally shocked because this is a die hard CFL market. Saskatchewan looks damn promising with Joe Belan's group building a stadium in Saskatoon. This result could encourage the CFL Roughriders to start a team in Regina in the same stadium. The province definitely deserves 2 clubs

15. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I have a couple of responses to that. First, I don't think the MLS teams are that far from breaking the Mexican stranglehold on the CCL. Having, say, the current TFC win the CCL would be huge for the profile of Canadian soccer. If MLS teams with $15 or $20 million payrolls are getting beaten by the Mexican clubs, how do you think a CPL team with a $2 million payroll will do? They aren't going to get much experience and improvement getting clobbered by double digit scores.

Second, I wouldn't be opposed to looking at a guaranteed CPL spot if Canada had two spots and if the CPL teams looked like they could do something meaningful in the CCL. As of right now, however, despite the fact that we'd both like to see them play more Canadians on the first teams, the MLS teams are Canadian players' best path to high level experience and competition. Let's wait until CPL teams actually exist and have shown they are playing at a reasonable level before we pave them a path to the CCL.

Unak78 repped this.
  16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You need to watch more CCL, MLS teams aren't even close. Quoting Robinson of Vancouver Whitecaps:
    Vancouver's Carl Robinson confirms 'gap' between MLS and Liga MX
    http://www.espnfc.com/concacaf-cham...robinson-confirms-gap-between-mls-and-liga-mx

Robinson admitted that a gap in quality between Liga MX and Major League Soccer clearly exists -- "anyone that says there isn't a gap doesn't understand football" -- adding that catching up is a slow process and that MLS is doing everything in its power to reduce it.

So you see, they are that far.

We all know that over 80% of TFC payroll is allocated to 3 players, says much about the way the league is manage. Second, one of those DP gets hurt, that teams gets eaten alive in CCL by Mexican clubs.

You missed my point. MLS or CPL will get beat, however, the CPL side will have Canadians on those teams. Being exposed to the level of play, style and hostile environment is crucial for their development and valuable experience. You wish to deny those players that kind of experience for what end? To get another Canadian MLS teams in CCL that won't play Canadians who will accomplish the same result...getting hammered?

Double-digits? I have yet to see a Caribbean clubs getting beat that bad, don't think it would be worse than they do currently. Again, you are showing how little you actually follow CCL (free on Youtube) Fyi

Why is it ok for the rest of the confederation to send their domestic league champions to CCL and we all know that their team won't go deep either but it's not ok for Canada? Why are you so against CPL getting the same treatment as everyone else???

And they barely play them so...that' really doesn't matter right? We joke how much Orlando is more of a Canadian teams than our own MLS clubs... that sad. Talks of the CSA imposing Canadian quotas on those 3 are gaining traction and it's about damn F'N time.

Good thing it isn't your call. CPL & CSA will ask CONCACAF for that spot as soon as the league starts. 2020 seems like a possible year where CPL gets their spot

17. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm not suggesting there isn't a gap. I'm saying they aren't that far away any more.

The MLS teams are getting beaten. The CPL teams would get hammered.

Early on, the CPL will be closer to the NASL than it will be to MLS. It will also, early on, have to rely on foreign talent to reach that level simply because the Canadian talent isn't yet available.

I'd rather see the small number of MLS-level Canadians get that experience than the small number of lower level CPL players.

As I've said above, we can always adjust things later. In this case "later" would be when there are a higher percentage of Canadians in the CPL and the CPL has risen to the level where you'd want CPL players directly on the national team.

I'm not. I'm asking that Canada treat its teams the same as everyone else, which is to send its best teams. It just happens that for everyone else the best team is the champion of the domestic league while in Canada that isn't the case.

Put another way, right now the L1O and PLSQ are the highest Canadian leagues but we don't send their champions even though that would give experience to rosters that are almost exclusively Canadian.

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He said that this year. They are still pretty far, I assure you

Beat? yes
    Hammered? Sometimes yeah, sometimes no. Can't be worse than CFU clubs

I tend to agree but don't forget that FC CIncinnati gave some trouble to some MLS sides

But they don't play most of the time. It's really bad

They do send the best team via the V-Cup. You and I disagree on whether or not the domestic cup champion should have the 2nd spot. Logically, you're right. Realistically, the CSA won't do it, which I tend to agree with their reasoning

They aren't sanctioned as Division 1. CPL will, hence its champion being awarded a spot.

You do make good points

19. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    2 points

1. I don’t think the CSA/CPL has to ask for permission to grant the spot to the winner of CPL. Spots in regional tournaments are awrded to governing bodies and they decide who reps them. The spot we have (or any additional spots we get) are given to whomever the CSA determines they want to;
    2. If the CPL gets up and running, it is pretty clear to me that our one spot should be given to the league champion. If we get a second spot then the CSA will have to decide whether the V-Cup winner gets the spot or it is allocated in another fashion.

I could see a couple of year’s waiting period before switching the spot to the CPL winner to make sure the league “sticks around”.....but since the CSA is a partner in the league they may go right away to CPL champion in the CCL.

20. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I don't see them ever moving a single CCL place from the Voyageur Cup winner because that would leave the Canadian MLS teams with no path to the CCL, which is just spiteful. If there is a second spot, then yes I could see the CCL winner getting the spot, but otherwise no.

Unak78 repped this.
  21. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    you might be right....I just don't agree with it.....if the CPL gets up and running.....and if the winner of the CPL is declared/considered the Canadian Champion....and if there remains only one spot....then the Canadian Champion should go in the Champions League.

Not sure it is the CSL's job to create/ensure a path for 3 clubs in particular to the CCL.

22. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How does winning the CPL necessarily make that team the Canadian Champion? Is there such a thing? Who is the Champion of any country? Is the American champion the winner of the MLS Cup, Supporters Shield or US Open Cup? If one of the first two, who is the American Champion if a Canadian team wins that title? If it's the third, then why would the Voyageur's winner not be the Canadian Champion?

23. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In UEFA, usually the league champion is referred to as the nation's champion. I'm guessing it has more to do with the prestige of having the league champions going into the champions. Domestic cup champions usually just win a trophy.

CSA being a major shareholder of CPL makes them biais on the matter. Whether we agree or disagree, the CSA has every reasons to push the CPL Cup to be more prestigious than the V Cup.
    • More games are played to win the cup
    • More teams will compete for it
    Usually that tends to be a major argument on why league cups are held in higher esteem.

Since CPL is starting from scratch, V Cup has more history but expect CSA/CPL to do everything in their power to market the CPL cup as the top prize of Canadian soccer

24. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As noted a few posts ago....it is the nation's federation who decides.....so CONCACAF awards 1 spot to "Canada"...it is, then, up to the CSA to decide who gets that spot...if the CSA decides the champion of Canada is the winner of the CPL league ....then so be it.

25. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Even with their bias for the CPL, I can't see the CSA (even in their most foolish moments) alienating the three MLS clubs and their fans by excluding them from the Champions league. As well, they will want to put our best possible entry into the tournament for appearances on the continental level.

They Voyageurs is their own tournament as well, and the three MLS clubs are CSA members. Those three also have the most money to put forward in developing players for the national side, and the CSA will want to see them remain committed to that for the sake of making the national team as competitive as possible.

The tournament is called the Canadian Championship. That name alone pretty much defines the winner of this tournament as the national champion.

Unak78 repped this.