2018 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Patrick167, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I've also seen that Sargent won't be playing first team this year. However, I doubt it has to do with the transfer window as he is not being transferred.

2. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    when i think of this january camp, "breakout" simply doesn't spring to mind. maybe march.

3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    TheFalseNine and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    The closest career path wise to Pulisic (if not age when it occurred) is Parks IMO. Prestigious club, yo yo between 1st and 2nd team, one off the jewels of the B team snapping around the first teams heels, highly regarded by the coach, and he passes the eye test to most.

Not to mention his game is just so damn intriguing, is he a larger deuce? Or does his calmness on the ball remind you of Matic? He has a little bit of that Pogba magic, he tackles fairly well but doesn’t really impress a gritty defensive midfielder. He’s my pick.

TheFalseNine and Anderson11 repped this.
  5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The difference is that Parks is soon-to-be-21 and Pulisic "broke out" when he was 17.

Pulisic's timeline and career path is an outlier. We kind of have to set it aside.

6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Especially, considering the type of club Dortmund is. However, at a far lesser club, Amon is on Pulisic's trajectory. The Danish league starts back up in 8 days and Amon is looking like a consistent starter possibly.

The Danish league has actually produced a lot of talent lately.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Amon really struggled against CSKA.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Of course Jonathan Amon is like 6 months younger than Christian Pulisic.
    Trajectory is nowhere close.

That's not to say I don't like Jonathan Amon. I haven't seen enough of him to have formed an opinion.

Pulisic really benefited from his Croatian passport and was able to start in Europe at 16. Most of are prospects don't have this luxury.

By the way, folks might be interested in this tweet from Corey Gibbs. He's in Germany right now with Weston McKennie, Atlanta United academy product Zyen Jones, and current FCD academy defender Christopher Richards. Jones was recently trialing at Schalke, etc. while Richards turns 18 in March. Richards supposedly really impressed at the recent USYNT summit.

I also really like this little video posted by Corey of Eddie Johnson training with recent MLS Superdraft pick and Gen Adidas forward Mason Toye.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #59 Clint Eastwood, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  10. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    CCV should rack up more caps during the March and June scheduled friendlies in Europe

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I want to see Richards play more before I say he's one of our elite young players, but based on the one game I've watched, I'd say he looks to be on that trajectory. I don't know if he'll be a "2018 breakout youngster" for first team playing time just because he can't sign with FC Dallas or Schalke until the summer, but I think during 2018 he could be recognized as one of the top up and coming young American players.

12. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn’t agree more. Richards was definitely one of the players who stood out in the few games I got to see of the DA last year.

Seems like Schalke is determined to try out every American. It’s like they’re just watching our DA teams and trying to pick up any player they can. Hopefully, they’ve seen something other teams haven’t and all of these kids turn into studs for them. I know there are other teams scouting, but Schalke seems to be the most active.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Schalke and the Bundesliga clubs aren't alone. Just go to the Dallas Cup and watch the swarm of scouts from all around the world there (and at other events). Especially LIga MX and FMF scouts.................

Clubs are looking for any method in recruiting that'll give them a competitive advantage over their rivals. Players like Weston McKennie, Christian Pulisic, Jonathan Gonzalez, etc. are available in the US on free transfers.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
  16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Is this just FCD holding a grudge against Schalke? Or is it BM doing what it does, see what is working for its rivals and buy it? Maybe both. Would think it would be better for the players to have a deal with Schalke, which at least shows great interest in American players and has developed them.

Need more information on the deal. Probably just sending coaches and players in the off season to train.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #67 Clint Eastwood, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Well, I don't think think it has anything to do with a grudge against Schalke. We don't know if Schalke was interested in this sort of relationship.

A little more information came out today. Three FCD homegrowns (Cannon, Reynolds, and Pomykal) have already taken a trip to train in Munich. That was in December. So yes, FCD taps into Bayern's methods for player development, coaching development, etc.

From the Bayern point of view they're using FCD to tap into the US market. In the future you might see Bayern youngsters, like Julian Green of a few years ago, come to FC Dallas. And they'll perhaps be able to grab the "next Weston McKennie," as well as tap into FCD's scouting network in North America.

18. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    There seems to be a German rule that amateur players signing their first pro contract can't appear in competitive games unless they are registered within a transfer window. Junior Flores got caught by this but Haji Wright avoided it by signing a deal with the Cosmos first. Some speculated that Sargent had signed the same kind short term deal that would get around this restriction but it looks like he didn't.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Joe Scally (turned 15 on December 31) just put in a good shift for NYCFC during the preseason against a Liga Ascenso team.

I've mentioned before in the 2016-17 thread that I think he was the most under the radar player in the U-17 cycle, but I think that was underestimating his game. Best field player for that cycle right now, IMO.

Scally looks like he could compete in this NYCFC team right now. He's so good athletically, and that might be cause for concern that he could be out-athleting everyone his age, but he's also pretty much the youngest player in his age group, and now showing up against grown men, so I think the concerns are lessened. He's a very good defender, a very smart footballer, and constantly makes good plays going forward against players of all ages.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  20. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played a couple games with STL FC U23s, so it is definitely possible that he did. He's not 18 yet, so we have no way of knowing.

21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Ah, that would be a different wrinkle. I wonder if the USSF paid him for his call up in November and if that would get him around that rule.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  23. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is it is a promotional deal. Helps FC Dallas be known as "the" destination for local kids. Helps BM get a sneak peak into potential American talent, where Schalke is kicking their back sides right now. But in terms of substantial cross-training of young players and/or coaches, not much there.

24. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has any of these partnership ever lead into anything?

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    No. Not really. There have been some in the past. FCD has had partnerships in the past, Spurs with San Jose, etc. etc. See the linked Hunt interview below for why he thinks this'll be different.

That's not what Dan Hunt is saying..............................
    He believes its going to be pretty substantial. We'll see what happens.

Dr.Phil repped this.