2018 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Patrick167, Jan 24, 2018.

1. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    I liked the quote at the bottom of this post from the recent "Pipeline Dream" feature on Ocampo-Chavez. It basically says that they hold him to a very high standard and because of that and the team's depth, that he doesn't always start.

It's clear from the article though that they rate him very, very highly. And I think it's actually better to hold him to the higher standard of 'we know how good you can be' versus simply having to be better than the next best teammate.

https://www.soundersfc.com/post/201...alfonso-ocampo-chavez-latest-seattle-sounders

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  2. Woodland76th

Woodland76th Member

Dortmund Borussia
    United States
    Aug 8, 2018
    Wow....a beauty from Sabbi. I get the competition, but that has to get you a little excited!

3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Union vs Revs
    D. Jones came in with 10 intense minutes to go and had 7 passes completed, won 3 headers battles. The announcer said Philli has big plans for him. He also was involved in the offense in a couple of plays. This is NOT your U20 D. Jones anymore, his game looks more complete.

Rahbiefowlah and USSoccerNova repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. You're spending your Sat watching Philly vs NE?

5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes :)

Someone has to take one for the team.

P.S. Union won 3-2

eliwood, Sombrerito and jond repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I guess I may have to retire my nomination of Miazga as the 2018 Breakout Youngster if he's just a bencher with Nantes.

No idea who it can be then. A "Breakout Youngster" should be a guy under 23 getting league games in one of the Top 10 leagues in Europe, IMO.

Yedlin, Puli & Wes are the past winners. This year, I guess Novakovich is at the front if Miazga cannot start.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Surely Tim Weah at PSG, Keaton Parks at Benfica, and Josh Sargent of Bremen are the leading contenders.

League doesn't matter according to our definition.
    The breakout part for me is in terms of a youngster breaking out to the USMNT based on club performance.
    So a player in the Championship, like say Antonee Robinson, is certainly eligible. Or a Scandinavia-based player like Amon or Sabbi.
    Or even an MLS or Liga MX option.

For "dark horse candidates" in big leagues, the Bundesliga is the place to look. Nick Taitague at Schalke, Chris Gloster at Honnover, Chirs Richards at Bayern, Brady Scott at Cologne, etc. etc. There are a bunch more. Those seem more likely than our premier league based players like Olosunde at ManU, de la Torre at Fulham. Or hell, Gedion Zelalem at Arsenal (who's been around so long we forget that he's only 21).

A player I rather like that seems way off the radar right now is fullback Sergio Dest at Ajax.

By the way, folks that don't pay attention to the USYNT boards may not have seen the news that U20 forward Sebastian Soto appears to have gone to Germany to Hannover.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In my version of reality, which could be entirely different from yours, what matters is how a player does in league games. Basically, club performance is league performance, and in this particular timeline where I'm trapped playing in the academy, U21, U23, reserves, B-team, or only cup games, is not considered "breakout" at all.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #634 Clint Eastwood, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Well...……….here's your guy then. :)
    As I was saying the three with a chance to break out into impactful roles on big teams are Weah, Parks, and Sargent. Sometimes guys come out of nowhere, though. If that happens, its likely in Germany.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'll know in a few hours. Even one game with PSG is not equivalent to stating regularly in the Ered, so Weah is going to need more than one game to jump ahead of Andrija --if the latter keeps starting for Sittard, that is.

11. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Amazing. This has now been confirmed by the club. M'bappe didn't even dress. Obviously resting a few and Cavani still nursing a knock. Still. Who would of thought a backup winger for Hack's U-17 last year would be starting at CF between Neymar and DiMaria barely a year later.

12. Woodland76th

Woodland76th Member

Dortmund Borussia
    United States
    Aug 8, 2018
    I dont know...even if he just gets decent sub minutes with PSG, that's more to me than starting in the Dutch league.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Maybe. Let him get the decent minutes as a sub first, then we'll see.

14. Woodland76th

Woodland76th Member

Dortmund Borussia
    United States
    Aug 8, 2018
    Well, hope he gets a chance today. Not starting like previously reported.

15. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am shocked................no one immediately posted after Weah scored his first professional league goal today?

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1028745623548436480 is not a valid tweet id

Lookingforleftbacks and jaykoz3 repped this.
  17. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Makes up for his almost goal which was brilliant.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kid is on fire! When is our next set of friendlies?

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #644 Clint Eastwood, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    We'll see. Folks have been naturally skeptical about Weah. We've had plenty of youngsters get significant time in pre-season with bigger clubs and then disappear when the season actually started. But now Weah has played in the French Super Cup and played in their first League 1 game. There doesn't appear to be a reason for us to be skeptical anymore. And of course their new coach, ThomasTuchel, was a champion for youth players (including Pulisic) while at Dortmund.

The French League is a much better league than the Eredevisie right now. The Eredevisie has plummeted as every young player with a modicum of talent is scarfed up quickly by clubs in bigger leagues. In fact, by UEFA coefficients (not the only measure, but one).................the Eredevisie is only the 13th best league in Europe. This past weekend Ajax had a miserable opening game after dreadful draw against Heracles. Riots and arrests in the stadium, etc.

upload_2018-8-13_7-44-4.png

Attached Files:

20. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My top 10 candidates in order
    Lynden Gooch(he is going down and should rack up some goals on a team that will popup)
    Andrija Novakovich-going to get ample opportunity to score loads (and should based on last years return)
    Antonee Robinson-Really a big year that could show he is ready to take over for a bigger club.
    Tim Weah-Will get spot starts, and cup play and should be ready to go.
    Emmanuel Sabbi-Off to a great start, don't see that level continuing but who knows?
    Kyle Scott-Make or break year, same team Nova did work in last year.
    Romain Gall-I mean why not?
    Emerson Hyndman-Move will get him more time and should be able to put up some numbers.
    Brendan Hines-Ike-Nice move that should get some more eyes to him, though we are doing good at CB.
    EPB-Breda looked bad defensively and EPB will probably get some run.

Sombrerito repped this.
  21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    He just got there. Give him some time to bed in a bit. If he is still on the bench on Oct. 1st, then maybe knock him.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  23. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    In the last 6 months we have, what, 12 U19 Americans move to Europe and one 20+ player? I might be short on the number that have gone over. Probably hear of a handful more in the next few weeks.

24. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    I like this trend. Try your luck in the big leagues and if you make it awesome and if you don’t you have a good chance at getting signed to an MLS team. Most recent example is Josh Perez, hopefully he had a young Donovan at Bayern like experience in terms of homesickness and kills it at LAFC

gunnerfan7, Namdynamo, DHC1 and 2 others repped this.
  25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Going to the academy of a big club is not the same as going to a big club.