2018 Attendance

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by blissett, Mar 25, 2018.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Reported thus far on the NWSL site:

CHI 4093 - Pretty good! If this is a sign for the rest of the summer, Chicago will be very happy. Hey @MRAD12 how much push was there to sell tix for the TV game?

ORL 4445 - Good considering recent numbers, but not great for an MLS-backed team on the weekend. Then again, it was NJ visiting.

NC 5164 - Also pretty good! Like Chicago, continued numbers like this would be a comfortable improvement over last year.

DC 3509 - Okay, I don't know what's up with DC. The past few games were weather-marred, but today was absolutely gorgeous. If DC can't do better than 4500 on a day like today, I don't know what improvement could be had.

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nice crowd tonight at TP. Hot and humid though.

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday was the last day of school in DC. I wonder if that had an effect. Families leaving for vacation?

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #179 SiberianThunderT, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Missed reporting last weekend's games:

HOU 3480 - definitely better than their last 3 games but still definitely not good. The the extra loss won't help attendance going forward, and it might be that the attendance was only "up" because it was POR visiting...

SEA 4032 - definitely off of their last home game. Not sure what to make of it.

DC 4005 - getting better! Would like to see a bit more though. (I was out of town this past weekend for a tournament with my rec club)

CHI 3317 - not as good as their previous match, but still better than their long-term average. That win should help buoy the fans moving forward, though!

We'll be returning to POR and UTA for the first time in nearly and more than a month, respectively, which should be good for big return numbers except that they're midweek matches. X'-D So we'll see exactly how big of a return it is... At the very least, we should see the highest midweek attendance numbers NWSL has ever posted for a multi-game midweek!

cpthomas repped this.
  5. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    What the heck is going on in Orlando? I know it is a mid-week game, but really 3215??? Unacceptable? Need to fire their marketing director. Meanwhile, the mid week didn't seem to bother Portland or Utah. Portland draws their biggest crowd of the season 18,237 while Utah draws their 2nd biggest 8,504.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Thorns-Sky Blue 18237 on a Wednesday.

Tater tots are back.

7. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Schools being out will help midweek games.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    *blows dust off thread* Lots of games in the past two weeks! I'm gonna group by team:

CHI - 2858 - Not bad historically, but once again lower than their previous home match.
    NC - 5295 - Looks like NC have found their summer groove, sitting just above 5k for the second match in a row. If they sustain this, they'll be good.
    NJ - 2846 - Almost knocking on 3k is very good for Sky Blue. They'll need to top 3k several times down the stretch if they want to best last year's average though.
    POR - 18273, 17930 - Portland being Portland, though they're still somewhat underrawing last year.
    ORL - 3215, 4017, 4621 - The summer bump seems to be revving up in Orlando, which is good, but they're still well below where they want to be.
    SEA - 4781, 3172 - I can't figure out Seattle fans. The team needs a bit more support either way, though.
    UTA - 8505, 8394 - These are the numbers that ORL wants, and notably what they got in their first season or two. Hopefully the Royals fans keep it up into year three and beyond.

CoachJon repped this.
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    From this past week:

NC - 3409 - Looks like the curse of the midweek has struck! Much lower than their previous two games.
    HOU - 3308 - Same story as the last time HOU hosted (which was in the 3,400's). Stable, but not good.
    SEA - 3191 - No one likes a midweek game

NJ - ??? - Worryingly not reported yet. I'm guessing it's really bad, which is a shame considering they almost hit 3k last week
    UTA - 8761 - Chugging along nicely! That third loss in a row isn't going to help much, though - I would hate to see a lack of a playoff berth mean than the sophomore slump in attendance hits hard.
    CHI - 3375 - Chicago's best attendance since early June. Hopefully they can get consistently above 3500 as they close out their home schedule!
    POR - 15327 - Noticeable drop off from their previous two games. Hopefully just a blip!

toad455 and blissett repped this.
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Attendances from this past week:

Utah - 8,529 - Still chugging along nicely. I'm getting a little greedy, though - would love to see one weekend where there's some random bump to get a 10k number.
    Orlando - 5,074 - Fourth match in a row where attendance has increased over the previous match, so that's nice at least. Hopefully the trend continues.
    Sky Blue - 2,338 - A good number for them. Also worth noting that the "missing number" from last week is now reported as 2,376, and that their average for the season to date is 2,299. Not at the 2,600-level they had last year, but if they keep these numbers up, it'll still make 2018 have the highest "lowest team attendance" ever for NWSL. (Were it not for FCKC's absolute crash last year, Sky Blue's 2,600-level attendance would have been a much better benchmark to set as highest "lowest team attendance" ever...)
    Washington - 3,628 - Well, I doubt most of those fans actually saw the game, unfortunately. Weather in DC has just not been very cooperative this year at all.

CoachJon repped this.
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sunday numbers, sans commentary since it'd mostly be repetition:
    North Carolina: 5,379
    Orlando: 4,577
    Houston: 3,907
    Seattle: 3,704

CoachJon repped this.
  12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Missed reporting the past few weeks, but just wanted to point out that DC got nearly 8k at Audi Field last night! I was supposed to be one of them, bought my ticket a couple weeks ago, but I got my ankles completely destroyed at my club's monthly Friday Night Lights pickup games and have been confined to my couch for the most part since then. X'-D Anyway, I hope 8k is enough to say playing the occasional game at Audi is worth it, since I definitely want to watch the Spirit there again.

sitruc, CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #188 SiberianThunderT, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    blissett repped this.
  14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance at Providence Park for Thorns v Seattle: 21,144.:thumbsup:

I was there. What a treat!

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Is it current record-attendance for 2018 NWSL season?

16. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Light rain in the New Brunswick area.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I believe so. Utah didn't break 20k in their opener, and Portland hasn't had a sellout this season yet.

blissett repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  20. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Some interesting stats on attendance concerning Sky Blue and the NWSL. The big question is what will the league do with Sky Blue? Could we see the same happen to Sky Blue that happened with Boston? With 10 teams we saw the league's attendance at 610,558 in 2017 jump to 650,567 in 2018 with 9 teams. A 40,000 increase. We saw the league average in attendance go from 5088 to 6024. Now if you take Sky Blue out of the equation for this season, that average jumps up to 6460. Also, should the league decide to go with 8 teams for 2019, and take into account the 23% bump we saw in attendance due to the 2015 WC, there is the possibility that the attendance with only 8 teams could jump up to as much as 763,000. That could result in an average just barely under 8000. Of course, this is based on the assumption that there is at least a 23% bump in attendance.