2018 Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by drewuke, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    RMFFUBAR? (Royal MFing FUBAR)

2. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The Union sales team is asking for a monetary commitment from breweries / distributers/ restaurants etc in exchange for carrying their products that fall outside of the typical bud/Miller etc. When I worked for a brewery, they asked us for 50k a year for 2 years in exchange for them essentially forcing the concessions company to carry us at the two craft bars (the one in the plaza and the river deck) , and providing some signage/advertising in stadium. They don't buy anywhere near 50k in beer for the season, so we politely declined. But that's why you saw sterling pig etc last season. Dogfish pulled their commitment to the deck and they needed to make up the money. I would suspect most of the breweries they got last year have dropped out this year

Looper121, breslinp and thomas19064 repped this.
  3. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    You are aware and understand that the Union's FO doesn't set the concession drinks right? The concessionaire they hire determines and sets the drinks based on what their costs are.

buzzkiller23 and ericlfd repped this.
  4. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Well, he's not technically incorrect, they have a certain number of openings they can play with. But, in the end, all the buying is done by the concessions company (it was ovations at the time). Also, all of this is illegal in principle but since they frame it as the company paying for advertising it slides by on a technicality

buzzkiller23 and jaykoz3 repped this.
  5. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come to the gas station off Exit 23 at 2AM on May the 30th if you really want to know...

[​IMG]

6. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's only one Sea Bass that belongs here:
    [​IMG]

cwelch999 and Dills repped this.
  7. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The lowest-attended regular season game at 14,795!!! Second was 14,838 from a Friday night 10/3/14 against the Fire.

I didn't see the game, but my dad texted me only mentioning how empty it looked. Wonder if people really were true to their word, and didn't renew this year.

8. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Any predictions for tonight? Will the warm weather bring people out?

9. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Looks fairly poor. That's the level above singles and prices below face on stub hub

Attached Files:

10. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My prediction is people will hear the paid attendance and complain that it's not the actual attendance.

drewuke and Dills repped this.
  11. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Digital Town hall they held today McDermott says they were at 86-87% renewal rates last year. (which he says was an uptick) 4th in MLS.

12. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McDermott obviously gets his stats from the intern who runs the Union Twitter account.

13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4th in MLS for what? Renewal rate percentage? It's all relative. Long gone are the days when there is (was?) a season ticket waiting list. 85% (give or take) is actually a net loss on a year-by-year basis for renewals. I'd say anything below 100% renewal rate is poor.

Let's say last year, for argument's sake, there were 15,000 STHs.
    85% of that is 12,750.
    85% of that is 10,838.
    Then 9,212 ...
    Then 7,830 ...
    Then 6,655 ...
    Then we're talking Open Cup levels of attendance.

Retain your season ticket holders. Get people clamoring for tickets. Supply, demand, and all that jazz.

Maybe they're one and the same.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  14. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim blames weather for poor attendance. Thinks we need a few more weeks of weather like today in order to get the numbers up.

(I'm sure there is some truth to this, but LOL either way)

Says big picture ticketing-wise he says they have exceeded their expectations on full season tickets budget wise. Group tickets up 11% higher over last year... thinks single games will pick up with weather improving....

idk.

He thinks fans appreciate the Union's strategy of a youth based approach.

15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they announce the paid attendance?

16. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    16,032 sounds right off the top of my head.

What did it look like in person?

17. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    50-60% filled

18. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    They mean 85% retention, that's not counting new season ticket holders. Overall they are likely maintaining or increasing the number of season ticket holders but given in-game attendance you can see the shift in the type of fan they are retaining and targeting. You're going from die-hard soccer fans to casual "weekend out with the kids" type fans who may not attend every game, give tickets away or whatever.

When you think about it, this makes a lot of business sense to the Union. Retaining die-hard soccer fans requires you to field a good, entertaining team and win matches. Bringing in casual fans just requires you to turn the lights on and maybe put on a little half time show with some kids kicking a ball through a hoop to win some kind of prize sponsored by, I dunno, Dave's Double Dutch Diner, conveniently located on the Beltway. Make sure to stop by Dave's Double Dutch Diner booth on your way to the concessions for free samples of all of their tasty butter and lard based deep fried doughy sensations.

But you see the strategy here. They're never gonna win games, so its futile to try and court the kind of serious fans that would constantly demand better play on the field. They basically have to go after the casual fans. So if you're confused why they appear to be more interested in choosing a mascot than finding a real coach, well, there you go. The mascot is more important to this team's business plan than the coach.

buzzkiller23 and thomas19064 repped this.
  19. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    When you aim for double A baseball level of entertainment you get double A level attendance. Of course the Union are trying to charge major league prices and can't even deliver double A coaching.

nhlman10 repped this.
  20. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The McDermott stat is entirely in keeping with the union, pick the stat that sounds good.

buzzkiller23 and thomas19064 repped this.
  21. cwelch999

cwelch999 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, the relative lack of other season ticket holders, or really the abundant availability of cheap secondary market tickets, is the leading reason I'm leaning toward not renewing next year. Why not just pick up single-game tickets to games I can make and actually save money on a per-game basis?

breslinp and Dills repped this.
  22. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Union created the cheap secondary market themselves by directly linking the STH account to StubHub. I assume they get a cut directly from StubHub for this but my tickets had more value when I had to the little bit of work to list them.

buzzkiller23 and cwelch999 repped this.
  23. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1005479635818344450 is not a valid tweet id

24. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tweet says this is the number of fans that "have COME to Doop with us"....so is it ACTUAL attendance, rather than PAID attendance? Inquiring minds want to know.

25. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inquiring minds can use common sense and figure out the answer.