2018 AFC U23 Championship

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by druryfire, Nov 26, 2016.

1. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Saudi Arabia has been eliminated!

I'm sure somebody will pop up and hit back at this but this team was lucky to be here. Their goal differential was 0 in the qualifiers and they could have easily been pipped by Myanmar/Iran/UAE.

They then proceeded to get handed a manageable group only to crash out with zero wins and a loss to a tournament debutant.

I also did not think Oman would do so poorly- not sure what happened there.
    China's group stage exit was also unexpected.

Happy to see Palestine find a way to get to the quarterfinals- absolutely sensational 5-1 win over Thailand!

2. hammad_friend

hammad_friend Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Dubai, Karachi
    Club:
    Al Hilal Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    This is the worst U23 Saudi Team in Saudi history.

3. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Congrats Palestine! :) Happy to see you guys improving and hoping for the best.

(De La)Redstriker06 repped this.
  4. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    We'll see what happens on Friday. We beat Qatar in a friendly before the tournament. I think the attack in this team is absolutely sensational (and all- Dabbagh, Yousef, Darwish, El-Kayed, Qumbor- will be back for the 2020 edition with the exception of Abu Warda)

Keep in mind that we don't have the best U23 talent in this team (Ostersunds's Hosam Aiesh).

While I like the CBs in the team Saado Abdelsalam (Palatnias/Greece Super League) and Michel Termanini (AFC Eskilstuna/Swedish Allsvenskan) not being able to keep a clean sheet has been an issue for us.

In the knockout stage you cannot count on outscoring teams but fingers crossed we either find a way to win 1-0 vs. Qatar or beat them 3-2 like we did when we met in the friendly.

5. Diego Aguirre

Diego Aguirre Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Tashkent
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Quarterfinals
    UZB 4-0 Japan:ROFLMAO:

What a show!

6. serpay

serpay Member

May 24, 2017
    Bangkok
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Not taking anything away from Uzbekisutan but Japan sent an U-20 side, which lacked more than half of the players who played the U-20 World Cup in 2017.

Glad to see Vietnam improving. They made it to the semi-finals at the U-19 Championship in 2016 too.

7. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Many teams do that- or attempt to- to give players experience ahed of the edition that acts as qualifiers for the 2020 Olympics.

It was a miserable capitulation- I don't think the age of the players can be used a fig leaf.

8. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Congrats Vietnam.

I'm glad Iraq is out of this tournament. This was a good opportunity to test out new players, but we failed to do so. The coach called up experienced NT players. How stupid can you be? This was a meaningless tournament with no qualification for Olympics.

Iraqi youth football is a joke.

9. Diego Aguirre

Diego Aguirre Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Tashkent
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    4-0 is too much for a Japanese U20 side as well, however I highly doubt that even Japanese U23 side could have beaten this generation of UZB players

10. Fa1con

Fa1con Member

Mar 29, 2016
    #35 Fa1con, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Uzbekistan and Vietnam qualify to the final.

11. serpay

serpay Member

May 24, 2017
    Bangkok
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Japan is the only U-20 team in the tournament.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_AFC_U-23_Championship_squads

12. Diego Aguirre

Diego Aguirre Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Tashkent
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    This time Korea was thrashed 4-1. Who knows did Korea bring their U-20 side as well?

13. olimpialv

olimpialv Member

Jun 13, 2010
    las vegas, nv
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Congratulations Uzbekistan and Vietnam!
    By far the best two teams of the tournament.

14. Vfootball

Vfootball New Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Historic day for the Vietnamese football.

Diego Aguirre repped this.
  15. Vfootball

Vfootball New Member

Jan 23, 2018
    This is the first time that a Southeast Asian team has reached a final of the Asian continental championships at U-19 or higher level since Myanmar and Indonesia did it at the 1970 U-19 Championship.

kennytt repped this.
  16. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    I think a Uzbek U23 squad made entirely of non-Russian Euro-based players can even beat Germany. They are like shadow warriors. No one can see them and no one can beat them.

Diego Aguirre repped this.
  17. Genghis-Khan

Genghis-Khan Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Singapore
    Nat'l Team:
    Mongolia
    Congrats to Vietnam. The 2026 WC qualification is a realistic dream for them. Good luck.

kennytt repped this.
  18. Diego Aguirre

Diego Aguirre Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Tashkent
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Indeed the new UFF president recommended to participate in this tournament without foreign-based players, therefore two key players of national team - Eldor Shomurodov (FC Rostov, Russia) and Otabek Shukurov (FC Sharjah, UAE) weren't capped.

19. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    I don't think anybody considers UAE to be European and you don't have any players unavailable due to training for WC 2018.

20. Diego Aguirre

Diego Aguirre Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Tashkent
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    I've written foreign-based players, not European, they are regular NT players and for sure could have strengthen current U23 team

21. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    But other countries could have strengthened their squads even more if they had access to their top players or if the clubs did not refuse to release some of the top players and the NT gave up some of the players to this meaningless tournament instead of bringing them to the winter training camp for WC. You don't have any of that because you have never qualified for WC.

22. Vfootball

Vfootball New Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Vietnamese football fans celebrating on the street.

kennytt, dinamo_zagreb and Diego Aguirre repped this.
  23. Diego Aguirre

Diego Aguirre Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Tashkent
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Okay just stop crying! Sorry for this shameful defeat. This tournament became meaningless for you after your elimination.

24. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    Enough with your ESL smack talk.

25. Diego Aguirre

Diego Aguirre Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Tashkent
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Since when English became native for Koreans?:ROFLMAO: Actually it is fourth language for me, so better call it EFL