2018 / 2022 World Cup Decision Day in Denver

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Colorado Supporters, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Colorado Supporters

Aug 10, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whilst not strictly Rapids related, this is of interest to all Soccer fans in Denver:

The Bulldog will be open early for the annoucements on the 2018 & 2022 World Cup hosts

The British Bulldog will be open this Thursday (Dec 2nd) morning for coffee and donuts between 7am and 9am for the big announcements regarding the upcoming World Cup tournament hosts. The U.S. is in the running to host the 2022 World Cup, with England & a joint Spain / Portugal bid in contention for the 2018 tournament.

If the U.S. is awarded the 2022 tournament, Denver is a potential host city.

The preview show is at 7am, with the expected announcement around 8am.
    Fans are encouraged to wear their national team colors on what could be a day of celebration.

http://www.bulldogsupporters.com/news/article.php?newsID=&newsID=14

2. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Bid announcement results aside -

How did everything turn out at the Bulldog this morning?

How many people showed up?

How many different National Team Colors did you see?

Any Photos of the event available to view?

3. Colorado Supporters

Aug 10, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A small but hardy band of supporters turned up who were able to make it & who decided it was more fun to listen to the annoucement as a group.

Naturally England & the USA were the predominant colors worn at the British Bulldog.

The 2022 annoucement was greeted with half laughter & half disbelief. Such was the absurity of the situation, a beer at 8.30am seemed entirely appropriate!

4. SteveD22

SteveD22 New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see that FIFA follows the Olympic bid process of highest/ most Bribes wins.

What a joke and a terriorist dream in Qatar.

5. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar in June and July = heat stroke special. Not to mention the nonexistent stadiums, hotels, and restaurants. I know they have some time to start the building projects, but yikes.

Brazil in 2014? Absolutely.
    Russia in 2018? Fair enough.

But Qatar, ever????? Just ridiculous.

Watch 2026 be in Antarctica, just because there isn't a South Pole soccer tradition yet.

6. fhnkeeper03

fhnkeeper03 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    theres a group on facebook for 2026 in Antartica!

7. craighwk

craighwk Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To their credit, they have 12 years to build their stadiums and other related infrastructure, and since they are the richest country in the world, they could probably have them all set up and ready by next year.

They are working on a "revolutionary" solar-powered outdoor cooling system for the stadiums. This system will also help poorer countries along the equator. Sounds great and the stadiums they have designed look truly revolutionary. Unfortunately, I am still very bitter they are having the game there.

8. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar is also going to dismantle and give their stadiums away to poor countries.

9. meanderingjeeper

May 27, 2003
    At my house
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Now I like the idea of charity, but am a little confused on this one. What poor country can afford the upkeep, afford to put on events in it, have something that could sustain it, etc? I think it's great, but I don't understand how the countries on the receiving end will benefit.

10. RapidRush

RapidRush Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Caldwell
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I'm all for their charitable contributions to the poor, (except for the ones to terrorists), but these stadiums will crumble if they don't have the money to upkeep them.

Logistically, they can build the stadiums but the trasportation and weather are going to be major cause for concern. On top of that, you can draw stadiums however you like, but implementing these, "state of the art" museums is a different thing alltogether.

11. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Are they going to use tents to accomodate the 3 million spectators who will be there to watch in person?

Maybe some modular homes they can ship off to some less fortunate country?