2018-2019 UEFA Season Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Google Maps, Warsaw to Baku is 2,974 km (1,846 miles). By comparison, Seattle to Kansas City is 1,861 miles. I'm guessing that the air transport from Warsaw to Baku is tougher than Seattle to KC, but I guess you could see a situation where Meli files into Baku on May 28th and then leaves on May 30th. If referees are only working a game every 5-7 days, it may not be completely far-fetched to do this. However, I do tend to agree with @MassachusettsRef more that it does seem tough to do this. It definitely isn't like a situation where a referee was in Ireland for the UEFA U17s and then flown into Madrid for the Champions League final. I would imagine it's a lot easier to get from Dublin to Madrid than Warsaw to Baku.

2. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    FWIW. Google.com/flights shows the following for Warsaw to Baku.
    upload_2019-5-13_19-3-25.png Ukraine International 7h 15m+ Connectingfrom $275
    upload_2019-5-13_19-3-25.png Aeroflot 9h 20m+ Connectingfrom $401
    upload_2019-5-13_19-3-25.png Turkish Airlines 7h 50m+ Connectingfrom $409
    upload_2019-5-13_19-3-25.png Qatar Airways 11h 55m+ Connectingfrom $489
    upload_2019-5-13_19-3-25.png Other airlines 8h 30m+ Connectingfrom $503

So it can be done, minimum 7h 50m and a connecting flight. Good luck!
    Or, just perhaps, would UEFA do a charter for such?

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s Skomina.

Referee: Damir Skomina (SVN)
    Assistant Referees: Jure Praprotnik, Robert Vukan (SVN)
    Fourth official: Antonio Mateu Lahoz (ESP)
    Video Assistant Referee: Danny Makkelie (NED)
    VAR Assistants: Pol van Boekel (NED), Felix Zwayer (GER)
    Offside VAR: Mark Borsch (GER)

London_ref, balu and GearRef repped this.
  4. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Finally, a predictable year! They also manage to get Mateu Lahoz involved.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next year does seem wide open. I suppose Mateu Lahoz is a favorite if Spanish teams falter again. After that, Turpin is in good shape as an option.

But if those two falter or are unavailable, it’s anyone’s match. You could also see Makkelie rise. Orsato would be an outside contender. And then names that did not get into UCL this year like Hategan and Oliver could be considered. And Marciniak will probably have a chance to right his ship. You could even see Cerro Grande making a run to overtake the Spanish spot.

With no obvious German or Italian name and the English referees a little younger, combined with the fact that the biggest names from all the smaller countries have already had it, we probably won’t be in this place next year. And it’s a big appointment heading into EURO 2020.

6. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Why not Rocchi?

7. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I believe Italy has a mandatory retirement policy and this is his last year on the international list and as a Serie A referee.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  8. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    IASocFan repped this.
  9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was hinted at a few months ago. Interesting to see UEFA structures its contracts to have something like this start on the Final rather than with the opening of a competition. Provides a lot more value to the manufacturer.

Also found this hilarious:

There is no conceivable perspective from which that statement is accurate.

jayhonk repped this.
  10. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I really don't like the logo in the center of the chest. Also what is up with Turpins legs? Edit: I didn't even notice the shoes!

[​IMG]

11. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the exact same thing. The only thing I could think of was that the writer is most familiar with Italian soccer. The current Serie A Diadora kits are neon yellow, black, and pink. The previous kits replaced pink with light blue.

Unless you are in Italy, in no way are these colors "traditional".

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even still, in the last 20 years they’ve had teal and silver; plus a gray scale into their black. The current color scheme is decently well-established for maybe a decade. But, “traditional?”

13. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Great, now I'm picturing Tevye in a neon yellow outfit. "Traditiooooooooooooon! Tradition!"

IASocFan repped this.
  14. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Undiano Mallenco has retired from refereeing, his last match being his third King's Cup Final, between Barcelona and Valencia. An absolute refereeing legend, even if he didn't quite reach the pinnacle that many thought would be reachable earlier in his career.

RedStar91 repped this.
  15. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    His career was quite interesting. Never quite figured out why he never achieved more internationally. Went to one World Cup and got a knockout game and had to go home due to Spain advancing and then overtaken by Velasco Carballo. Never made it to a Euros or another World Cup.

IASocFan repped this.
  16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now that I see the new Macron uniforms on the field as opposed to just being in a photo shoot, they aren't too bad. I'm still a fan of referee uniforms having a collar, but these aren't as bad as I thought they would be after seeing the photo with Turpin and others. They are probably just a little behind our OSI uniforms in the US and the Nike kits, but better than the current Adidas kits.

17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he saw everything with that 39' challenge on Lacazette. That's a bright yellow when you see the replay.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha, that's been a stone-cold red card at the U20s.

I'm normally very generous to most referees, but Rocchi was right there and looking right at it. I think this was much more of "this is a final, the bar is really high" than "I didn't see that cleanly so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt."

19. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you had the first yellow being for dissent, collect your winnings at the window. It's paying 11 to 1.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The block of Hazard at 48' is fascinating because I think VAR plays a role in it from a tactical perspective. The Arsenal player goes out of his way to charge Hazard off-the-ball as he starts to cut into the penalty area. It was pretty blatant. Replay showed the defender looked right at Hazard and lined him up. And it got missed by Rocchi.

I don't think it's crazy to imagine professional defenders are now more likely to take a risk like this 2 yards outside the box (when it may get missed) versus 2 yards inside the penalty area (where it now will always be caught). Off-the-ball fouls right outside the penalty area are now something that officiating teams are going to need to be laser-focused on.

21. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Did we ever see a replay of the tackle that led to the 2nd Chelsea goal? The camera angle is so high and severe that it is impossible to get a perspective of foul/no foul.

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread closed. Will open up one for next season after the UCL Final.