2018-2019 UEFA Season Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    All English finals for UEL and UCL. Is this Kuipers match in Azerbaijan? This could be a make or break game for Arsenal and important match for Chelsea's manager Sarri.

2. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I was watching the game with a friend (referee as well) he said 100% red card and I said 100% yellow. With the negligible force being the ticker to downgrade it. Although, the PI on hazard was unreal. I thought Hategan had a shaky run in the closing minutes of each half. At the closing of the 1st half he shouldve blown it dead instead of waiting almost 25 seconds for the Frankfurt player to take his sweet time setting up the corner.

fischietto repped this.
  3. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    No. He had the UEL final for an unprecedented second time last year already. Wouldn’t get it again.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  4. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Çakir for both.

5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    “ we ?”

You mean you and your little tag team partner, celito ??

In that thread you’re both either falling out with people or just calling them trolls ..oh and defending Roberto fgs

6. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we're now at ignore.

BocaFan and TitoTata repped this.
  7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, discipline on this site is usually private. I occasionally make it public here because as members of a referee community, many of you shockingly have opinions on how things should be handled. The one thing to remember here is that this is a giant site; you can't just red card a long-term poster who is an active member/consumer in other areas of the board. Regardless, you can ask for a forum ban and that's what has been done here. So this side discussion is now over.

Second, on the Chelsea : Frankfurt game, these three clips are pretty amazing, one of which is the Azpilicueta challenge alluded to above:

https://streamable.com/ktla2

https://streamable.com/uwbj8

https://streamable.com/vm462

All three are defensible reds. But it seems like it will need cold-blooded murder to get an SFP card in the knockout stages of a UEFA competition.

For my money, I understand why the first is given as yellow (it's really hard to discern point of contact) and I actually think yellow is defensible given the glancing nature of the foul. But that is high and from the blind side with studs exposed; it could easily have been red, too.

The second one is the worst for me. He's high for no reason, coming with speed, and he catches him flush. Very dangerous tackle. I can see why only yellow, again (he pulls back the minute he realizes he's made a stupid challenge) but I still lean heavily toward red here.

And then the Azpilicueta one. The only mitigating factor is the amount of contact, which is really only toe on shin. But everything else about it screams red. I don't think the result is as bad as the second one, but it certainly looks the worst. It is a classic SFP tackle.

I wonder if VAR intervenes on any of these next year.

8. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Interesting take. I watched the first half on a crappy online stream and the second half with a friend on the television. I don't recall to well the Willian challenge. After reviewing the clip I actually agree with your analysis for the 1st Willian tackle. Caution, hard to see mode of contact as well as point of contact but he knows something was there... (I wonder if #11 for Frankfurt partially blocked his view) my thought if Willian stays down does he take a few more seconds to get input from his assistant. As opposed to the fracas of Willian showing his calf.

This is where I disagree with you a bit Mass. I think the Azipilcueta challenge was a darker shade of orange than the Kovacic.
    The Kovacic his mode of contact was the top of the shoe maybe toe in-step region. Kovacic point of contact was the inside of the foot with part of the inner ankle. I think he has a reason to be high mostly because the ball is bouncing, however, the amount of speed he comes in for this tackle and the lunging nature could push it to red for me.

The Azpi challenge I am already thinking red with the speed/force he comes in with. Then he has a two-footed tackle. Coupled with zero ability to make a play on the ball (unlike the Kovacic challenge). Like you said the mitigating factor being the contact which at best could be negligible however, the contact is studs to the knee.

I guess for me its the nature of each tackle which shades them differently for me. Azpi's zero ability to make a play on the ball and Kovacic. However, I agree that all of them could be defensible reds.

An observation I would like to make is that both of these challenges were in that danger zone right in front of the technical area. With both challenges (im assuming more so with the Azpi challenge) being called by the 4th.

tomek75 and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have said this in my initial post:

I agree that the nature of Azpilicueta's challenge is worse than Kovacic's. On a video test, like you I'm screaming red just from how Azpilicueta comes in. It is the worse challenge in a vacuum.

Azpilicueta's opponent jumps, though, and avoids having his legs broken. That shouldn't make a difference, we know. But the reality is that at the professional level it sometimes does. So for me, the result of the Kovacic tackle feels worse, which is why I have an easier red at this level and in this competition.

frankieboylampard and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  10. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I like to think that all three of these are red in my games. But then there's that real-time, in-the-moment, no video replay thing. Seeing these and similar clips and talking about them helps, a lot, when it comes to that.

IASocFan, MJ91 and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  11. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The concept of SFP has practically gone out of the window at the highest levels of the game. We've gone through a World Cup and two Euros without a straight red for SFP.

When was the last consequential red card in the CL for SFP? Nani by Cakir?

I think VAR will essentially eliminate an on field decision red card.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here’s something I didn’t notice before. Rocchi’s AR1, Filippo Meli, is going to the U20 World Cup in Poland. That tournament starts a week before the UEL Final. So... unless UEFA would appoint Rocchi with an AR he doesn’t work with internationally, he’s out for the UEL Final.

Don’t get me wrong, such an appointment is certainly my possible. But Meli’s unavailability is definitely a factor working against Rocchi. UEFA likes the team concept.

13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    When was the last time a back pass was called in the premier league?

Interesting case in the BHA MC match which was more of a deliberate chip by a defender on a bouncing ball about 22 yards out over the head of an attacker straight to the goalkeepers arms.

15. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    If not Rocchi on EL Final, it has to be Lahoz then? First time in a decade you can practically put a Spanish referee on one of the showpiece matches in Europe.

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mateu Lahoz, I believe, is from Valencia. So it’s a bit complicated as that could put him in an awkward spot with Arsenal.

I think you still find a way to assign Rocchi. He could use one of Orsato’s ARs. But if it’s not him, I’d revert back to my Cakir prediction.

17. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Yes, he's a member of the Valencia referee committee. One thing for sure: he won't be working the Copa del Rey final (May 25, Barcelona vs Valencia).

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  18. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be a dumb question, but couldn’t Rocchi’s AR in Poland just fly to Baku for the game? It’s not like the U20 World Cup is halfway around the world from Azerbaijan.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. When you’re appointed to a tournament, you’re there for the tournament (until your free gets sent home). He can’t be leaving his team in Poland and affecting assignments at a World Cup.

20. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    2019 UEFA Europa League final refereeing team

Referee: Gianluca Rocchi (Italy)
    Assistant Referees: Filippo Meli, Lorenzo Manganelli (Italy)
    Fourth official: Daniele Orsato (Italy)
    Video Assistant Referee (VAR): Massimiliano Irrati (Italy)
    VAR Assistants: Marco Guida (Italy), Szymon Marciniak (Poland)
    Offside VAR: Paweł Sokolnicki (Poland)

London_ref and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. Well there goes my theory on the U20 WC. That’s a big exception being made for Meli. Never seen that before (other when FIFA delayed arrival of Brazilian referees in 2017 to allow them to do the last WCQs—but a delay is different than a mid-tournament departure).

Anyway, four VARs also seems like an unnecessary touch. You either need two or four. I don’t get having four on certain matches. Seems like it interrupts a cadence that is still in development.

22. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Rocchi’s AR’s during the UCL knockouts have been Meli & Passeri. Manganelli is on Orsato’s team usually.

AR’s aren’t completely stuck to referees in domestic assignments. But the substitute AR isn't even for the one going to the WC!

EDIT: to agree that four VAR's is just a ridiculous amount. What could they all even be doing?

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  23. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the same as the World Cup. A VAR, two AVARs and an offside VAR.

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. But, why?

If you need four, you need four.

VAR is still in a development stage. It's still an experiment, if not in name. Two officials in the VOR with the Replay Operator is already confusing enough at times. You add two more people for what purpose? If you really need 4 referees (and 5 people) in the VOR, then why don't you need them for every match? I just don't get it. Any good answer to the question, "what do the third and fourth VARs do?" immediately then leads to "wow, then you're telling me you're not confident that that is getting accomplished with two VARs?"

By the way, VAR2, Marco Guida, will be at the U20s as a VAR. So he will be flying to Baku--presumably with the two Polish officials--for this assignment. Still very surprised by this. But I imagine Italian nationality definitely helped with the dispensation in this instance.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Passeri have a really poor decision on the United-Barcelona match that Rocchi did?