2018-2019 UEFA Season Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Actually, I thought that the goal, and then the reversal, made it even more dramatic. Crazy roller coaster of emotions, and I don't even care about either team.

And how do you think the "Aguero!!! Moment" would have been remembered if it turned out that he was offside and the officials missed it?

2. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm not so sure. This was years ago, but how else do you explain him disallowing Neymar's goal in the Juve vs. Barcelona Final in 2015 (6:15 in the video) and not the goal today provided it clearly hit Llorente's hand? There is no way this is deliberate by any stretch and a penalty kick would never be given for this.

Even though the Law change isn't in effect until next year, the fact that the VAR sent that down means that it is practically an "official but unofficial instruction."

Maybe he allows the goal even if it clearly hit Llorente's hand, we are all speculating here, but the fact that it was sent down combined with the fact that Cakir looked at it for so long tells me they were just looking for confirmation of touch rather than confirmation of it being deliberate,.

Regardless, the correct decision was made, but this goal will be disallowed next year which is pretty silly. I couldn't agree more with how stupid and how many problems this law change will create next year.

What people don't realize is that with VAR, this will eventually lead to some crazy penalty kicks being awarded.

Imagine that if Llorente is a defender and heads the ball down like that on his arm, the ball falls to a teammate and it leads to a goal in the other end of the pitch via APP. By VAR, APP and the law change you have to disallow the goal and award the PK right?

The new Law will state:

"The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:
    • A player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm•and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity"

3. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    take it with a bit of salt with my flair to the left, but I agree, no one on the pitch or in that stadium was looking or thinking about the offside position of Aguro, not that it should matter in the matters of the Law, but everyone at that point was resigned to their fate when... Boom, there goes the blue screen of death for City.

4. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Agreed, the Llorente review too. I also didn’t care who advanced.

5. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's exactly what "clear and obvious" should be. Call on the field stands unless there is evidence clearly supporting a reversal.

6. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    So we have gone through 64 World Cup matches with VAR and now 24 knockout matches in the CL with VAR. That's 88 matches in the two most high profile and most important competitions in the World.

We have yet to have one red card given for SFP or violent conduct via VAR. Even more remarkably we haven't had a red card given on the field first for VC or SFP in those 88 matches.

As far as I'm aware we haven't even had a review yet in the CL for SFP or VC and I think we might have had two total OFRs for VC/SFP in the World Cup.

To be fair, there has not been anything on top of my head that would have qualified for review in the CL this season that I can think of. It shows that the play is just so much cleaner at more disciplined at that level.

But the point is that UEFA and FIFA are using or not using VAR in ways that the rest of world is simply not. FIFA and UEFA have basically limited VAR to offside and the occasional handling offense.

In MLS we are getting almost a review every other game for SFP or violent conduct and SFP and APP.

7. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    The Neymar one was called because of expectation I believe. This is with VAR, the expectation is to have a trashcan for a heart.

Geko and frankieboylampard repped this.
  8. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea.... Ok, I can see that side of it as well. Still gutted...

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How about Tottenham's moment of making to a SF ruined by a wrong call ?

10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So suppose their was a camera angle that showed the ball clearly hitting Llorente's arm and then hip. Since we're using the 2018/19 LOTG, does this mean Cakir would have booked Llorente? What justification in the laws would there be to cancel out the goal and not issue the caution?

I'm being a bit facetious because I know we've had this debate before, but it would have been a pretty good test of the logic.

11. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My literal explanation is that the AAR called it! But I know what you're getting at. I think the difference is optics. Arm tucked in tonight versus an arm extended from body with Neymar. That shouldn't matter, of course, because both hand positions are natural, but I think we all know it does to the larger audience.

Maybe not. People--fans, commentators and everyone else--are making a ton of assumptions about how VAR is actually working. Now, that's largely because the system lacks transparency, is constantly evolving, and is being applied differently in different competitions (good job FIFA and IFAB!). But my point here is that it's entirely possible that Cakir asked for the review to sell the call or the VAR said something like "you're not going to give a penalty on this, but it looks close enough that it's going to generate worldwide controversy so we should probably take a look."

I'm glad you posted this, because I admit to not having studied the new change enough. Llorente never gained control or possession. It literally just hit him and went in. Is that going to be a nuance that matters? I mean, if it didn't matter, why is the new Law written like that? That text, as written, only applies if the player in question gains control or possession.

GlennAA11 and El Rayo Californiano repped this.
  12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another view of the annulled penalty in Barcelona.

https://streamable.com/8i8rj

With that view, I would agree VAR shouldn’t have intervened. This seems like an amateur video. Given lack of transparency, we don’t know if Dankert has this view and didn’t notice or if he never had access to it. But I would suspect Brych would have stuck with his call if he saw this.

13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had no issues whatsoever with how the offside review of the last Man City goal transpired. It took less than a minute, it didn't require an OFR because it was fact-based, and it led to the correct call. Full disclosure again - I'm a Tottenham fan. However, switch Aguero for Son and my opinion from a refereeing perspective remains exactly the same.

I thought Cakir and his crew handled both critical reviews in an exemplary manner. The Llorente goal stood because there was no clear and obvious evidence that the call on the field was wrong. The offside decision was eventually correct. Neither review took a significantly long time (at least by my standards - others may disagree). They were both huge calls with tie-changing implications.

Where I get frustrated with VAR is when reviews take 5-7 minutes looking for the most minute detail to get to "clear and obvious". If it takes that long, it isn't clear and obvious. Let the call on the field stand. What VAR needs to overturn are the big misses like some of the offside misses we've seen in the FA Cup and EPL this year.

14. allan_park

allan_park Member

May 15, 2000
    This is the crux of the change, and one that we can't resolve here - unless IFAB ask us! :)

The issue is what does "gains possession" actually mean? For the time being, let's assume the ball did hit Llorente's arm, and we can see that on VAR, the question becomes : do they consider Llorente to have "gained possession"?

Because then, as per the new wording, the goal would be disallowed as it is "an offence if a player gains possession after it has touched their hand/arm and then scores a goal". You can certainly argue that by directing the ball into the goal you have "gained possession" and therefore a disallowed goal would be correct.

However, if that is not considered to be "gaining possession" then this bit of the new wording kicks in: "except for the above offences, it is not usually an offence if the ball touches a player's hand/arm if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body naturally bigger". Well, you can certainly argue that one here as I don't think anyone would disagree that the arm was close to the body and he didn't make the body bigger.

So, that question of what constitutes "gaining possession" is the key to the whole thing as you would have a strong case to argue either of these stances right now.

For what is worth, I believe that the intention of IFAB was to make any contact with arm or hand that leads to a goal to be an infringement, but I don't think their current wording makes that clear. I am not saying that's the right approach - in fact I do not like it - but I believe that is where they are going with this, and how it will be applied next season.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  15. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That's only part of the summary of the new handling laws. pg. 7: http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/786/111531_110319_IFAB_LoG_at_a_Glance.pdf

So of the four accidental handling free kick situations, #3 & #4 are definitely out. #2 appears to be out because Llorente doesn't gain control. For #1, the ball hits the arm and then the hip, it doesn't go directly arm to goal. Does that mean it's out too?

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    It says "after" not "directly after." Handling offense.

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that’s a giant can of worms with VAR. Because any offence by the attacking team in the APP would annul a goal if it is clear. So that explanation combined with VAR protocols would mean that literally any ball to hand contact in the build up to a goal would be an offence and there would be an expectation it should be punished. Trifling goes out the window.

Uh-oh.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I never said IFAB could write well!

But until they clarify, my view is that it means if the ball goes into the goal more-or-less directly after the contact the goal comes out. I think that is the spirit of the rule here.

Of course, I don't have VAR to deal with. I think the bigger APP issue is the second bullet--just how far back do we go. Inadvertent handling at midfield gains possession, we have no call. Player dribbles through three defenders and is preparing to cross into the PA--oops, since he has now created a goal scoring opportunity, we go all the way back and call handling? (Yes, there is the even more wild possibility that it happened way back in the PA--but that is very unlikely that the same player will then create a goal scoring opportunity--but from midfield with a meaningful time delay until is apparent doesn't' seem all that unlikely to me.)

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s almost like the people changing the Laws are not the same people developing and tweaking the VAR protocols. I’m sure that won’t be a problem or anything.

20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
  21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Ooops-- @GreatGonzo quoted from the summary, not the actual Law changes. The actual language says:

It is an offence if a player:
    • deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
    • gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal
    • creates a goal-scoring opportunity ​
    scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

It is usually an offence if a player:
    • touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
    • the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.
    So while I still think the spirit of the law would say arm to hip into goal is an offense, we can certainly argue about the word directly--how many different ways is that same word used in the Laws? I would think here it means without an active play by any player.

GreatGonzo repped this.
  22. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This issue with this Law change is that for 99.9999% of all games, there is no VAR, there is no APP, there is no "wait and see and maybe go back and check". There is only the "right now, right here, I have to make a decision." Any handling by an offensive player could possibly lead to a goal as any offensive handling could be in the APP. And it takes video looking back to know if it was or wasn't.

23. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    William Barr must have written that summary.

(too soon?)

Sorry about that!

24. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    as always the IFAB just creates more problems in trying to fix non-problems

25. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club: