2018-2019 UEFA Season Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    How do Skomina's chances for the Final stand after this test? His card for Van Dijk was consistent with the recent SFP standard, and he managed to get through the game without any major controversy.

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I though it looked like he was trying to talk to the AR on the intercom while talking to the AAR at the same time. If the AAR is telling him PK, I can see why he went there first, especially if he didn't see the handling and didn't know when it happened. But if he was having trouble getting what he needed through the intercom, I agree it was odd that he didn't go the AR sooner--or call the AR over to have the three of them together (I don't know if that is disfavored from an eyes-on-the-field perspective).

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He stopped the game with an IFK signal though. So he stopped for the flag.

I genuinely don’t think the AAR saw the handling. It was very clear that the 4O got involved, too; I’m guessing he actually had the best angle to the goal line. It seems like they were trying to figure out if there was punishable handling at all.

I genuinely don’t have a clue what the discussions were. If the referee stopped play for offside—and that part seems certain—nothing really makes sense. If the AR had doubts over the veracity of his offside decision, that needed to be cleared up first before dealing with any potential handling. But I suppose in the heat of such a moment, confusion can breed chaos (or maybe it’s chaos breeding confusion).

socal lurker repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This longer clip on the Van Dijk tackle is interesting.

https://streamable.com/fwsar

First, Skomina appears to miss the foul initially. Feels like AR2 let him know how bad the result was and then Skomina reacts.

Second, you can sort of understand why Skomina misses the severity of the challenge. Despite looking at it, the ball passes behind the tackled player, likely obscuring the point of contact.

I think it’s red. Maybe a little shy of 100% red. When you account for that little doubt and then add in the circumstances around the challenge and the match, you can see why yellow is the result.

5. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. No way.

And the irony is that Van Dijk's own misinformed comments--where he asserts his challenge was fair--are precisely the reason why VAR doesn't intervene. A portion of the soccer world not only believes this isn't red, some still believe it's not a foul. When you have that sort of discrepancy, the "clearly wrong" standard just isn't met.

7. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    How we miss the days of gutsy SFP reds. Feels like ages ago :D

IASocFan repped this.
  8. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Based on a few "referee" discussions I've seen on this one on Facebook, a number of "referees" don't even think that this is an offence.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this one gets red via VAR? Maybe.

https://streamable.com/y9wwa

10. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Some would say that no involvement via VAR there is appropriate due to "no one appealing for or expecting a red card." Please tell me a yellow was given there at least.

11. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    No, just the foul.

12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I'm utterly befuddled to imagine how an R could see that enough to call the foul and not come out with at least a yellow.

mathguy ref repped this.
  13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turpin has apparently given two SFP red cards in Ajax-Bayern--a match where both teams have already progressed. I'm excited to see video here...

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's short video of the Bayern red, which was the second one. Oof.

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Being an Ajax supporter, I watched this match. Wonderful game for soccer fans. The Wöber Red Card was justified but it was deja vu all over again as it was the exact same kind of tackle that van Dijk got the Yellow for yesterday. The Ajax back was late into the challenge against the side line and his lead foot hit the ankle just like van Dijk against Mertens.

There were also two PKs, one for each team but no controversy on the calls as they were self evident. Turpin had a tough match to call as teams were play high tempo football all over the pitch but I think he did a very good job.

16. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Shouldn’t have jinxed it...

IASocFan repped this.
  17. jasonakramer

jasonakramer Member

Apr 27, 2016
    https://streamable.com/92s0t

So this blocked shot in Bayern-Ajax is considered an intentional play on the ball and not a save, wiping out the obvious offside?

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was blocked with a deliberate hand/arm. So, yes. The decision is that advantage is applied on the handling and the goal is the final result since a deliberate play wipes out any offside.

Now, did the referee team all know in the heat of the moment that that was their call? Probably not. But they allowed play to go forward, which is the right move. Then they could piece everything together and realize it’s a good goal.

I’ve been reading Turpin did very well in this game. So far all the highlights seem to indicate so. His stock is skyrocketing.

Orange14 repped this.
  19. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I didn't see the entire game, and started watching about 2-3 minutes before the first red card.

From there on, I don't recall a single step he put wrong. Everything was not only the correct decision under Law, but was the best decision for the game itself.

I did have serious issue with Ajax' tying goal, until I saw the first replay -- which gave almost the reverse angle of Turpin's view of the play. My best guess as to what he did here was see that there was handling, but the ball was going directly to an Ajax player in front of the goal with a teammate about 5m to his left... yeah, I'm good with letting that one play out... :)

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here’s the first SFP, which is like Van Dijk but without the touch on the ball and more of a launching start: https://streamable.com/xzz8n

Longer clip of the Muller send off: https://streamable.com/wv2l8

And here’s a longer clip of the last goal: https://streamable.com/wfsnj

With all the focus on the confrontation post-goal, you never see if or how the team discusses the offside issue. You can catch out of the corner of the frame, however, a delay from the AR. So it’s not like OSP wasn’t discussed here. Whether or not they allowed the goal because it was handling, as I asserted, is impossible to determine from this clip. If they didn’t have handling, that makes the call more dubious.

Either way, I think Turpin is about to have a huge 2019.

Orange14 repped this.
  21. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Looking ahead to the knockout stages, I bet that Oliver will get one of the Shakhtar - Barcelona or Roma - Porto matches :)

22. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we are homebound with these awful weather conditions in the Midwest, I'm watching Roma-Fiorentina in the Coppa Italia. For the second time in a month, I've watched an Italian ref caution for dissent (Roma's Dzecko - Fiorentina is hammering Roma 6-1) then go straight red for abusive language. If the Italian referee association has laid down the law to harshly sanction dissent and abusive language, the message is apparently being received.

23. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The one match report I've read said that Dzeko spit on/at the ref and that's what the straight red was for...

Brief video:

1090697121165201409 is not a valid tweet id

rh89 repped this.
  24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manchester United : PSG - ORSATO (ITA)
    Roma : Porto - MAKKELIE (NED)

Irrati and Van Boekel are VARs, so no international pairings in the first set. Fourths are back to being CRs; AARs gone, as advertised.

RedStar91 repped this.
  25. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Are they doing AVARs for these games as well?

Really interested the bar for invention on these games. I really think how VAR is used in this competition will set the standard for VARs use long term across the world.

frankieboylampard repped this.