2018-19 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfer window is officially closed now, though moves done before the deadline could still be announced after the deadline.

On that note, let the wild speculation begin....

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feilhaber for Rwatubyaye seems to be the rumor.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He could be going to Rome.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That would be disappointing...

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rwatubyaye and a draft pick headed to Colorado.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids fan sticking my head in hear to see if I can find out anything about Rwatubyaye. Given that he has one USL start though, I'm guessing you guys don't know that much more about him than we do.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked talented but raw in the time we've seen him on the field. He could be a decent CB but he needs games and some seasoning. He made some weird decisions on the field (see his bike attempt on NE's 3rd goal a couple weeks ago).

JasonMa repped this.
  9. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think he has really good upside. Really good physical talent, and he's still early 20s. Probably not going to be a significant contributor for a bit yet, but you never know.

Must be weird to sign for a team, leave Rwanda to go play for an American side, and in the same transfer window be shipped off to a different MLS side. Feel bad for the guy, unless he specifically was looking to get out.

JasonMa repped this.
  10. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We traded our 4th/5th CB for Benny, who still has miles left on the tires. Great move! Benny has a lot of value in our three man midfield and can play any of the three positions as a spot starter or sub. Plus I can use my Feilhaber jersey again!

To me, this is PV conceding that : 1) Rowe/Croizet ain't getting it done in the midfield and 2) Abdul is not ready for MLS.

Abdul looks like he has a lot of upside, but he's very raw. His off the ball defending was shockingly bad. I wish him good luck, but Smith is fine as a 4th CB. And Mo is our next CB star (SPR). Soft spot for that kid, as my son played with him.

JasonMa repped this.
  11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also probably means both Fontas and Besler are close to returning cause we wouldn't go forward long with just 2 CBs.

12. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be the best part of the trade. We need Besler back ASAP.

I'm excited to see BF back. Great guy and still has something to offer as a spot starter/ midfield backup. I thought he did a decent job as the No. 6 for LAFC. He's a good fit for the pivot 6 style that Illie plays, and could be a good backup. He can also backup Gutierrez at the No.10 which is still his most natural position. Other benefits, it keeps Croizet out of the midfield and we get a right footed set piece taker that can serve or score from direct free kicks.

13. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    while i agree with most of this (exception being that I saw benny as a weak point in the LAFC team last year, though admittedly afaik it was an injury to another player that forced them to play benny there), I worry that he is not the kind of player for which we have the most urgent need. He's a great replacement for Gutierrez (who's completely fit) and ok replacement for Ilie (who has some kind of knock, but should not be out for too long); but i do not think he has close to the lungs nor grit to replace Roger. He might have been the best option available in the short time left (especially given he knows Vermes' system and could probably start Sunday without any problems), but it's nevertheless far from ideal imo.

14. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He might not be a like for like replacement for any of them, but he absolutely is a better option than any of current depth is.

mschofield and kcfooty repped this.
  15. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really think Benny is 90 minutes fit anymore , but considering what we gave up I think it's still a good move from an on-the-field standpoint.

But I will be honest, I think this move could be important for other reasons. Benny was a fan favorite, and the "new car smell" is finally waering off for skc. I personally don't care for the big personalities of guys like Benny and Dom, but they get people connected with the team outside of matchdays, and I feel like that has more impact than pure fans of the game might realize or want to admit.

AndyMead repped this.
  16. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big personality. Check. I just hope he yells less at the officials, but I know better. Benny will be Benny.

17. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Gotta say, I'd be happy to see him retiring here too.

vividox and mschofield repped this.
  18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is true, I also wonder if it means that Busio really miscalculated by going off with the kids. I get the sense that he's going to return to less playing time (as he's a lot more in the Benny mold than the Roger or Ilie molds. I wonder if Busio had been around, and would be here for the next two, if we'd have made this trade.
    Probably, but I wonder.
    On Rwat, I wonder how much that attempted bicycle clearance went towards convincing PV that he was, at best, a very long term project. That attempt was all instinct, and instinct is tough to coach out of a player. Even so, I was looking forward to a 2020 or 2021 Barath Rwat starting CB tandem.
    Question, do we see this trade as a sign that next summer we're planning to make a move to convince EPB to return? He's clearly better than when he left, but he doesn't look anywhere close to breaking in at City (half time starter for the worst side in the Ere)? I know having a 22 yo CB on the roster doesn't mean that can't happen, but not having one IMO makes it more likely.

19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I went back through the last four matches of Audi, just in broad strokes, to see if they tell us anything about bringing Benny back, and I gotta say the only lesson is the really obvious one, Rowe does not play SKC soccer.
    Rowe v RBNY: -141.
    Rowe v SanJ: 42
    Rowe V NE: -179.
    Rowe v ATL: 5
    I know Audi numbers are flawed, but they are consistent and do tell us something. Rowe is consistently among our worst performers. He's consistently bad because he is never particularly involved in our game. He's on the edge.
    Watching him, looking at his activity maps, I believe this is because he's built for a transition game. He does not find his role in a possession game, he's simply a liability, and it costs us everywhere.
    Now, I believe he's a good player, and in time I think he will adjust. But a 34 yo Benny would seem to give him time to adjust.
    I think the Benny move might mean we don't see much of Rowe until late in the season, if not 2020.

Inca Roads and BenDover repped this.
  20. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This is exactly what I'm thinking too. I was really up on Rowe when he came but he's been lost at sea every game. Benny soaking up his minutes immediately makes us a better, tougher team.

mschofield repped this.
  21. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #446 BenDover, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Benny.... what is there to say about Benny that hasn't already been said. He adds no speed to the team (which they desperately need), but he does plug up some of the gigantic hole in the midfield that was on display in the last few games. The thing I see is PV made two quick foxhole decisions: he needed the midfield help and Benny was low hanging fruit since he wanted to return to KC. The other decision was PV saw enough in Graham Smith to toss Rwat and wait until the Summer window to plug more holes in the defense. I’m not sure how I feel about this second move since their defense is the worst I’ve seen since the days at Arrowhead and Community America Park. I just hope for miracle cures and fast recoveries for the team.

mschofield repped this.
  22. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    perhaps the idea with an ilie-benny-felipe midfield is to play a barca 2010 defense - difficult to get scored on if you have 100% ball possession :p

IASocFan and mschofield repped this.
  23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Isn't that kind of our basic strategy this year?
    I didn't explain it well, but that's where I believe, and the numbers indicate, Rowe most hurts us this season. He doesn't get enough touches, and this reduces our ability to keep the ball, which means we're defending when we should just be knocking the ball around.

Spassapparat repped this.
  24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010