2018-19 Offseason Player Movement Rumors & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Nov 22, 2018.

1. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    #51 PhillyMLS, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Might be an interesting day.

1071636770230398976 is not a valid tweet id

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MacMath for Mezquida fits the #ThatsSoRapids movement so well its got to be true.

3. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
  4. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Almiron also came out saying he will stay for the 2019 pre season. Something tells me he wasn't sold and ATL will have a problem by having Almiron, Josef, Barco and Pity. Same problem LA Galaxy will have with the Dos Santos bros as no one wants to take Gio plus they have Alessandrini and now Zatlan getting DP money. MLS needs to come up with something quick.

5. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I would relax a bit, it’s not even January yet. I’m pretty confident a deal will get done rather than MLS needing to quickly make up a new rule.

6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also not MLS' problem to solve. This comes down to the individual teams figuring out how to make the salary puzzle pieces fit within the Salary Budget guidelines.

mbar and JasonMa repped this.
  7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
  9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Is Yangel Herrera leaving MLS? I'd have thought he'd be protected. I wonder if FCC goes for Mitch Hildebrandt?

10. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    His loan from Man City is over. I doubt they send him back if someone else owns his rights and it sounds like he wants to play somewhere in Europe, so it is no risk to leave him unprotected.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  11. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I allowed to say that FCC has the potential to be really really bad?

Sachsen, Crooked and jaykoz3 repped this.
  12. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That list of free agents is pretty underwhelming...a lot of "last legs" type guys along with fringe players that would struggle to make a good roster. I guess the gems in there are Ozzie Alonso and perhaps Feilhaber/Harvey? Also interesting to see players that already retired on there as well...

13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm.. Not that I mind too much, but I wasn’t aware teams that lost players in the LAFC expansion draft were exempt for this round..

14. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yeah this seems to be some brand new nonsense the league made up this year. I'm curious to see if this logic will hold true for next year.

If i were a team I'd be working hard to get FCC to take someone off my team, trade to reacquire them with allocation money, then not have to worry about the 2020 expansion draft.

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The rationale is that LAFC and Cincinnati are paired with the drafts taking place in consecutive years. The league didn't want some teams losing two players.

It looks like the expansion draft next year will be for Miami and Nashville so it should be back to normal since teams won't be capable of losing two players in the joint draft. If they do not both come in 2020 then the league will probably do the same thing with any team losing a player in the 2020 draft being exempt from the 2021 draft.

superdave, TrueCrew and JasonMa repped this.
  16. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting seeing the comparisons drawn between FCC and Minnesota. They both added some pieces from their lower division squads. FCC is doing it on a much larger scale. As of today, they have signed 8 players from their USL squad, more than MNFC ever had. MNFC had at most 5, and most of them were signed in January. FCC is also keeping their USL coach, Koch. The big question is will the cohesion of keeping 8+ USL guys on the roster outweigh the risk associated with bringing in new players on the limited scouting resources (both time and $) available due to the short lead time. I doubt FCC makes the playoffs, but they aren't exactly "following the MNFC blueprint" that has been the narrative so far.

17. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I'll reserve judgement on them until they start making their international signings and see what MLS free agents they sign or other MLS players they trade for. Minnesota came into their first game with three players that had more than 50 MLS appearances. Shuttleworth is a rotational goalkeeper, Jermaine Taylor was already showing signs of not being MLS caliber anymore, and Bernardo Anor had done ok at times in Columbus but managed just 483 minutes for SKC. The rest of their roster was mainly players that played in USL/NASL (even if they were contracted to an MLS team at the time) and some signings from Scandinavia.

FCC already has more MLS experience on their team with Adi and Alashe. Assuming several of these signings are supplemental signings they still have room to bring in a few good international signings and a free agent or two and be fine. I would caution though that they already have filled, at a minimum, 7 senior spots and they haven't even hit the draft yet. Now, assuming they go after a GA player at #1 that moves another player up to the senior roster from this group of signed players. That means they'll need their other picks to fill out the reserve roster since no one they've signed is 24 or younger.

MuchoTakeItEasy repped this.
  18. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easily solved by a rule change.

adam tash repped this.
  19. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    So FCC looks like this right now as best I can tell:

Senior Roster (12/20): Adi (DP), Alashe, Albadawi, Alexander, Garza, Hoyte (INTL), Lasso, Lamah (INTL), Ledesma (INTL), Mattocks, Richey, Smith
    Supplemental Roster (4/4): #1 Pick, McGlaughlin, Bone, Welshman (INTL)
    Reserve Roster (1/4): Ndam (INTL)

Now, I'm assuming that at least 3 of the USL players signed are on senior minimum and will be on the supplemental roster. Might not be the three I put down but those slots should be filled.

I've put Lamah and Ndam down but I'm not 100% certain they aren't getting traded. Neither of them are on FCC's roster page while Alexander, Garza, and Mattocks are. It is probably nothing since Richey isn't on there either, but it is something to consider.

That leaves them 8 slots to fill with rumors of Waston and Ullola supposedly on their way. I believe Waston would be an international for FCC (assuming he got the Canadian equivalent of a green card) so that would fill 6 of their 8 slots (assuming that the rumors of that international slot acquired today go to Vancouver for Waston). Not a lot of wiggle room to improve with foreign talent if that is all true. Will likely see them trading GAM/TAM for a slot or two. Feel like they are wasting slots for no reason.

20. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care for Kei Kamara.

JasonMa repped this.
  21. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    One "build"--FCC--and half a dozen total rebuilds, from Orlando to Galaxy, Vancouver to Dallas, Revs to San Jose.

And let's be honest--Chicago and Colorado need total rebuilds, whether they get them or not.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There's real weirdness going on right now with Luiz Muzzi.
    He was the recently named technical director of FCD after Fernando Clavijo had to step down. However, he's reportedly on the way to Orlando City & making decisions for them.

However, FCD ownership and spokesmen have said that he's still working for them.
    https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/so...cer-operations-luiz-muzzi-still-fc-dallas-now

Is Luiz Muzzi making roster decisions for two clubs at the moment? So when Tesho Akindele was recently traded from Dallas to Orlando............did Muzzi represent both clubs?

What the hell is going on here..............somebody is fibbing.

23. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    This sounds like the most MLS thing to ever happen in MLS.

24. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is the downfall of the quality of the league. They don't have enough "good" players to fill out the newest team. They are looking to bring in more in the near future. If you are willing to go out and buy a team ala AU, it will mean less playing time for yanks. OTH, they can find more spots on new or newly bottom dwelling teams. Seems to be the greedy sports community model, so par for the course.

25. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Never mind that Atlanta started 5 Americans in the final.