2018-19 Offseason Player Movement Rumors & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Nov 22, 2018.

1. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    SccrDon and onefineesq repped this.
  2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So pretty much what you would expect from the Revs for a DP signing. If it's not handed to them by the Don, dont expect anything big from Burns.

3. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    True but just after Glass City posted the Venuto news...

1087116238633889792 is not a valid tweet id

So we'll see what comes of this.

4. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They may not have seen this coming so weren't ready with a replacement, so wanted more. And/or last time they deal with big numbers, MLS told them no and got more money for the team, but took longer to accomplish (Cameron transfer).

Just my two guesses.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t know if it’s relevant but Dave Sarachan is the coach at NCFC now.

6. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1087373090789588992 is not a valid tweet id

Sounds like this is who they are targeting.

8. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    33 goals and 18 assists in 129 Russian Premier League games and 9 goals and 9 assists across 2500 minutes in the last season and a half is a massive signing? I mean, he has a nice pedigree at his age but I'm not sure if he would be a massive signing. Especially since I think with what he will go for that you can get a better player elsewhere.

9. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't too impressed either. Hadn't seen him play, so I watched some highlights. Pretty good speed and movement. Decent in the air. Completely right foot dominant, though and hasn't scored all that much at the club level. Hope they don't pay the 9 mln Euros he's valued at.

10. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002

carnifex2005 repped this.
  11. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Caps getting a lot of Canadians back home. I like it.

12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to invoke a certain poster, but I wonder if CPL is influencing this? Based on the extremely narrow slice of Canadian soccer social media I’ve seen, there seems to be a good amount of appetite in Canada for watching Canadian players on Canadian teams.

13. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    So, we got #Kakuwatch again this year.

15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    9g, 9a in 2,500 minutes in Russia is very respectable. The league is way better than MLS, not even close.

Boloni86 repped this.
  16. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    There is that appetite but I think it more has to do with the Caps hiring a Canadian manager and also trying to go back to their stated philosophy (in the beginning at least) of trying to play as many Canadians as possible as opposed to any competition with the CPL.

Yoshou and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  17. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Zenit and several of the Moscow clubs are better (and probably Krasnodar right now). Yes. The rest of the league? Not to me. Once you get out of the top 5 you basically have a couple decent foreign players and a bunch of Russian players that aren't good enough for the top few teams. And those Russians are not better than a starter on an MLS squad. And of all his goals and assists only 3 have come against a side that finished in the top 5 last year or are in the top 5 this year. And all of those were against Krasnodar. Again, this is all a judgement call since we have no real crossover in the past few years except for Mensah and Poku. Feel like it is another case of seeing a couple teams that are good and assuming that their competition is better because they play in the same league.

ukraine76, jaykoz3 and 007Spartan repped this.
  18. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    A Canadian manager takes over and hires Canadian coaches and signs Canadian players. That's no coincidence.

No one really gives Canadians a chance, whether it be coaches or players, no matter the league. I don't think the CPL is driving what's going on in Vancouver, MDS is. I wish there were more Canadian managers in MLS.

MDS is also a star in the making, in my opinion.

19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    All European leagues are unbalanced, no exceptions. Russian league is #6 in UEFA rankings. Ahead of Belgium and Portugal and way ahead of Denmark and Netherlands which are better than MLS. Rubin is above average team. Goal scoring in that league is quite low. Top goal scorer has 16-18 goals per season. 0.65 G+A per 90 mins is good there and probably everywhere else. Transfermarket values him around $11M.

20. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    The Russian league has one of the highest levels of parity in Europe. Right now there's only 14 points separating the top team from the last safe team. Zenit, the league leader, already has 5 losses this year.

In addition to Krasnodar, I would say that Rostov, Rubin Kazan and Grozny are also competitive with the Moscow/St. Petersburg teams. I checked, and even outside the top 5, there is still an average of 10 foreign players per team. As for the average Russian starter, I wouldn't assume that they're any worse than the average American/Canadian starter in MLS. Russia is roughly on par with the US as far as developing talent, and they do a much better job of keeping their players at home.

I follow the Russian Premier League, and I would say it's pretty similar to MLS. It's an entertaining league where all games are competitive. They have the same challenges as MLS in their continental competition ... long winter break right before the important games. The infrastructure is also much better since the World Cup. Their average attendance is approaching 18,000 this year. Even their 2nd division has a couple of teams that average over 20,000.

As for Azmoun specifically, I think he'd be a great signing. He's still only 24. I wouldn't look at his scoring record on the surface. A lot of his work has been off the bench. Even considering that, it's still 33 goals in 129 games which is a good achievement for such a young player in a good league. If the 'Caps sign Azmoun, he won't be the reason the team struggles. The thing with Azmoun is that he's a bit of a poacher, so he's not going to create chances on his own. And looking at the 'Caps roster, I struggle to see who's going to be creating the scoring chances on a regular basis. Yordy Reyna is about it, and that's not enough in today's MLS.

21. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a reason goal scoring is so low? So far this season over half the league has less than 1 goal a game and in looking at the tables for previous seasons that isn’t unusual..

22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I would say there's a lot of factors. First of all Russia has never been known for attacking soccer. It's more of the brute force variety of soccer ... defending, hard work and long ball. The other factor is parity, so very few blowouts. And the last factor is the cold. Even with their winter break, half the games are played in near freezing conditions. Tough conditions lead to tough gritty soccer.

23. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, Russia is a better league than MLS, however, at this point MLS has pulled ahead of every league you mentioned in terms of average wages except Belgium and it is close with them. Further, the league is FAR more balanced than every other league you mentioned. Denmark’s average wages are less than $160K and they are better? I mean pay isn’t a perfect indicator, but it’s a pretty good one.

Baysider repped this.
  24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    When it comes to leagues like Portugal, Belgium and Netherlands, I think they get a little more quality per dollar simply because there's more cheap "homegrown" talent coming through the pipeline there.

Russia and Turkey may have a bit more money than MLS, but we match up better with them as far as homegrown talent.

Either way, it's impressive that MLS is even in the mix with these types of leagues. It wasn't that long ago that I would have barely ranked MLS in the top 20 in UEFA. Today I'd put them at 11th, just one notch below Netherlands. I know Ukraine is technically ranked #9, but I think that stock is falling rapidly with the war there really damaging the quality of their league.

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with using the average salary to draw conclusions about player quality is that MLS’s DPs lift it up a good amount. Yay that MLS has an average of almost $400k, but it’s not exactly fair to say that means anything when over half the league is making half of that. In other leagues, the average salary is more representative of the average player than it is in MLS.

Dirt McGirt repped this.