2018-19 Offseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Oct 15, 2018.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never too early, right? Two weeks away from concluding a nightmare season might as well get a jumpstart. Actually, we are a few weeks behind. I think last year’s offseason catch-all thread opened for business around the end of September. Nonetheless, Let the discussions begin..............

Who stays? Who goes? What positions need upgrades? I know, I know, all of them. Do HG’s Cole Bassett and Sam Vines, who’s reportedly shown well on loan to Charlotte Independence, get a legit shot at making the rotation for the 1st team?

2. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is outside of some FO Sound bites, are off-season's are just as bad as are seasons.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clear out your locker, don't pass go, do not collect $200: Boli, Barnes, Boateng (if possible, don't know his contract status), Dykstra, da Fonte
    One cap-hit free buyout: Gashi
    Please take these contracts off our hands: Blomberg, Boateng (if he's not out of contract), Smith, Wilson
    Return from loan: Castillo, unless Monterrey is willing to come down to $1 million or less on a transfer fee

After that there's more dead weight I would move if possible: Hairston, Martinez, and McBean primarily.

I don't think we're going to move 11 players this offseason, but that's where I'd start.

rapidogordo and fortcollins repped this.
  4. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. ogre1976

ogre1976 New Member

Rapids
    United States
    Jul 22, 2018
    While I believe a lot of changes need to be made. A number of players would play way better if played in a better culture/atmosphere within the coaches and club. As a coach you need to find a way to get the most out of players. Everyone improves with confidence. Too many players are set up to fail in this system which makes them frustrated and try less.
    I think this holds true for Howard and Ford.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    onefineesq and Sal Paradise repped this.
  7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh Lord, this is getting like Apocalypse Now in here.

Just change "Mission" to Forward
    Willard- Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one. Brought it up to me like room service. It was a real choice mission, and when it was over, I never wanted another.

Stuart95, Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus. No. This better not be a Howard recommendation based off of playing together at Everton. Dude couldn’t hit the broad aside of a barn. He was so frustrating for Everton fans. I hadn’t heard his name in years. Shocked he’s only 30. We picked up a striker from China’s League One this season and look how that’s turned out. Bolli at least lit up League One. Anichebe......not so much. Pass. Hard pass.

MrPerfectNot and JasonMa repped this.
  9. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SccrDon, m vann and JasonMa repped this.
  10. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Well, we're not going to get the good Toffees! I would love to see someone like Seamus Coleman.

Is the choice only between young South Americans mediocre enough that teams will let them go without transfer fees vs players with European club experience who washed out?

m vann and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  11. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He sounds rather iffy. Oh, wait, that's his cousin.

SccrDon repped this.
  12. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy to name a few from the current Everton squad, from goalkeeper to forward, I just don't quite think we'll get any of them.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting article in The Athletic about the rebuild. Hat-tip to @Rod1916 for pointing it out. I'll pull out some quotes for people who don't have subscriptions:
    https://theathletic.com/…/12/rapids-rebuild-is-just-beginn…/

fortcollins, COMtnGuy and m vann repped this.
  14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Great, they've built a culture that absolutely sucks at attacking, defending, and passing the midfield.

15. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Jason’s quotes from article. Guess I’ll see ya in 2-3 years. Lol. (Same ol same ol)

COMtnGuy, m vann and JasonMa repped this.
  17. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep all of this is just pre-season for their 2020 hope/ prayer to be competitive. Man it is tough trying to support local Pro sports teams here.

Sports Yak repped this.
  18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jason, thanks for putting the quotes together! :notworthy:

...What helps Hudson and Smith is they already have a core in place. Howard, 39, will head into the last year of his contract and career before retirement. Acosta, Ford, Sam Nicholson, Jack Price, Tommy Smith and Danny Wilson are part of the team’s long-term vision. That also includes 17-year-old Littleton native Cole Bassett,...

That's going to be our core going forward? :eek: IMHO:

Howard may or may not play next year, but he's gone after that either way.
    Acosta's good enough to be a core player on a top MLS team. I doubt that we'll be able to keep him unless we're a lot better next season.
    Nicholson is high-effort low-results. Maybe a squad player on a decent MLS team but not a core player.
    Price and Smith are ok. Maybe start on a .500 MLS team.
    Wilson doesn't seem good enough.
    Ford has a decent future ahead of him, but I'm still not convinced he'll be a solid MLS CB (and I don't see him becoming a FB at all).
    Bassett started 1 match against an awful defense where he almost cost us a goal with a bad giveaway and did some good things to help possession and move the ball forward. Way too early to know how good he'll ever be.

That's our core?

20. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe a visual will help.
    [​IMG]

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'Loss of Coolant' = Cronin, Burch, etc.
    'Reactor Overheats' = Aigner
    'Core Materials Melt' = Gashi, Boli, Mason, Smith, Wilson
    "Melted Materials Breach Reactor Vessel' = 2018 Colorado Rapids

22. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    A reactor melting down seems kind of exciting; something is definitely happening and the massive energy cannot be contained.

The 2018 Rapids seem more like the Tacoma Narrows bridge. They were built without a full understanding of the stresses of their environment, and under the stresses of said environment they basically shook themselves into a total wreck. Two of them, in fact.

23. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New mascot, Gallopin' Gertie:
    [​IMG]
    Or Sinkin' Sally:
    [​IMG]
    Moral of the story, stay off the bridges in the Puget Sound and surrounding area.

JasonMa repped this.
  24. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to stir up the pro/rel debate again, so let's leave that aside for this question. Suppose the Rapids played in the USL. Where would they have finished this season?

Consider:
    • In a game that supposedly mattered, the USOC match at Nashville SC, the Rapids lost 2-0 on June 6. Nashville finished 8th in the USL East, just above the playoff line, with a 12-9-13 record, 49 points in 34 games (1.44 PPG and +11 goal differential).
    • In a meaningless friendly on a neutral baseball field, the Rapids edged the Tulsa Roughnecks FC 3-2. Tulsa finished last (17th) in the USL West, with a 3-19-12 record, 21 points in 34 games (0.62 PPG and a -41 goal differential).

COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd keep Castillo and Hairston but agree with the rest. Didn't realize da Fonte was still on the roster ... please, please get rid of him.