2018-19 Offseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I just can’t forget the quote by the Univision announcer for the Atlanta game, “It’s like watching an amateur team.”

Dom. FC and fortcollins repped this.
  2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That means a lot coming from Lalas. If anyone knows what a shitty FO looks like, it would be Lalas. See SJ, NY and LA on his resume! ;) :D

Dom. FC and COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest thing we need to do to improve our defense is to improve our possession and attacking play so the other team has to actually defend. Yes, there were too many mistakes that cost goals last season, but we were out-possessed and out-shot so badly so often that the defense was bound to leak goals.

4. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Andy126, kucsdat and JasonMa repped this.
  5. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice of MLS to reward Fans sitting in the upper deck with such an honor, oh wait.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A poorly placed shot at that. Weak Save of the Year. (Is this one of those fan vote awards? That would explain it)

SccrDon and COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though, as we've discussed multiple times, the Forbes list is extremely inaccurate and doesn't take into account corporate structure of many of these teams.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It can be inaccurate, but really the best available valuation for none publicly traded companies.

rapidogordo and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  10. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    An economic 'test' of that value would be -- Will Stan sell the franchise for that amount (?) if so can we find a buyer ... any buyer ... soon?

11. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Well, yeah, it would be much tougher to include the corporate structure of the teams. The article itself states they don't mention property, etc, in their valuations. I'm not trying to be contradictory, I just think it's tough to include those things when looking at teams.

I think not including the corporate structure, ownership, etc is alright though. With the Rapids being a part of KSE, then you'd have to throw Arsenal and the LA Rams in the valuation, which I don't think would be fair lol...

Its definitely a tough thing to come up with a valuation of non publicly traded teams, but based on the criteria Forbes uses, I think it's the most fair "team" vs "team" valuation. I mean, they gave ATL United a 7x revenue valuation, DC United and Minnesota United a 10x revenue valuation, and the Rapids an 8.6x revenue valuation, so there's that for you.

Hey, I'm just a numbers guy though lol

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is KSE intentionallly sets the Rapids up to have low value in order to shuttle value to their other pieces. Ticketing, stadium ops, merchandise, etc are all run by separate corporate entities in KSE but would normally factor into the value of a team. For example, Altitude gets the TV rights essentially for free but a team not part of an entity with its own network would see value in those rights.

Andy126 repped this.
  13. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta on for the Nats, currently losing to England 2-0.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Padraig would have fallen over himself to sign him if this were true, not buying it:

COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Not sure he would have been happy working under Hudson, more likely confused?

fortcollins, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  17. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Any new coach news?

Dom. FC repped this.
  19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to wait until the RFO comes back from their winter vacation. Usually happens in early March ;) :D

20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  21. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't see a shorter regular season.

League payrolls have increased significantly, and TV/ESPN+/trinket sales/sponsorship revenues can't carry the increases alone. Teams need the gate, concessions, and in some cases parking revenue from a longer season to whittle away at the salaries. For large attendance teams such as Atlanta, the lost revenue from a couple games would be massive. Keeping the same number of matches and significantly condensing the season wouldn't pass muster by the MLS Players Association.

What I do see as a logical alternative would be returning to the 2000-2001 three-division play and restructuring the playoffs accordingly. This would make the season more competitive, avoid the embarrassment of 12th place finishes (8th place for the Rapids artificially sounds so much more competitive), and would let the MLS condense the playoffs from 12 to 9 teams.

That seems logical, so I expect Garber to do exactly the opposite. :rolleyes:

22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    One of the things I don't like about the current scheduling system is the unbalanced schedule. With each team playing conference foes three times a season and those from the other once. I understand that this cuts down on travel and the associated expense. But I just don't like it. I'm old school. Play all opponents twice a season, once at home and once away.

SccrDon repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're talking more midweek games but the same length of season. They also want to expand, not contract, the playoffs. We're never going to a 46 game season (what you would need to play everyone twice).

24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I get that it's hard to play everyone twice with an ever expanding MLS. I wonder if we will see the day when there are enough teams in each division - east and west - where they will only play within the division?

As for midweek games, that's not going to help attendance at all.

25. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I always hate those "only play within the division ideas"- I want to see at home or get the chance to go to SKC. Also, I want a chance to see other Eastern Division opponents, especially when they sign big stars. I want to see Wayne Rooney, for example, in Colorado. I think you should play everyone at least one.

I'm OK with three divisions - especially if it creates one bracket play-offs. I want the possibility of two teams from the same region meeting in the finals again. And if the two best regular season teams are from the same division, I want them kept apart until the final. It'd be cool this year for example, for the RedBulls and Atalanta to meet in the final if they both won out.