2018-19 Offseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would venture a guess the Rapids are also looking at players on teams that are changing coaches this off-season; like Vancouver or San Jose. New coaches bring different philosophies and systems, and they'll be looking to move guys that don't fit into their plans going forward.

Andy126 and Sports Yak repped this.
  2. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Any player worth bringing in would have at least one option other than the Rapids.
    2. Why would any player who has a choice choose Hudson's Rapids? Hudson's team has been the black hole of the soccer universe. Acosta was dangerous before coming in, but lost the ability to find the net on arrival. Ditto for Boli. Martinez got slower and less effective as the season droned on. Gashi went into the witness protection program. Ditto for Blomberg. Wynne was an ineffective teacher's pet.
    3. The only incoming players are likely to be homeless players desperate for a gig, SuperDraft future benchwarmer stars, or aging whose-that's and castoffs from third division European clubs.
    I don't see this disaster getting better any time soon, certainly not under Hudson.

Andy126 and SccrDon repped this.
  3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  4. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Find an ambitious South American who wants to do well so he can keep moving up the ladder? Or, athletes have big egos...you heard guys talking all the time about "the project" when Pablo was manager. Sell a guy on being big man on campus, leading the club up the table, chance to be a legend?

Either way, though, you have to pay. Maybe even pay more to get a guy to come here, Milsap-to-the-Nuggets style.

fortcollins, MrPerfectNot and JasonMa repped this.
  5. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ala$, in Kroenke'$ Rapid$ $ituation, more $salary would $eem to be $omething of a problem.

6. wafc4ever

wafc4ever Member

wigan
    England
    Mar 31, 2017
    So Cincinnati get an expansion draft. We can protect 11 players. Who do we all think those players will be?

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And keep in mind, if the rules stay the same, all homegrown players are protected on top of the 11 on the list

Who I think it will be:
    Howard, MacMath, Wilson, Smith, Price, Acosta, Jackson, Castillo (if they expect him to return), Gashi, Nicholson, Wynne

Who I think it should be:
    Howard, MacMath, Sjoberg, Castillo (if we think he'll return), Price, Acosta, Jackson, Nicholson, Martinez, Gashi (if he has a no-trade clause), and pick somebody.

8. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really sad that neither you nor I can come up with 11 that we think that the Rapids should definitely keep. And I'm on the fence about Martinez & Gashi.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full rules have been published. The only change from last year is that the league is considering last year's and this year's part of the same expansion draft (since normally there are two teams in an expansion draft) so the 5 teams that lost players last yer are off the board for this year:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/media-resources/2018-expansion-draft-rules/

10. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just spit balling, but I'd guess our list would probably look something like this.

Acosta
    Blomberg (int.)
    Gashi (int., may have no-trade clause)
    Howard (pretty sure he has a no-trade clause)
    MacMath
    Nicholson (int.)
    Price (int.)
    Sjöberg
    Smith (int.)
    Wilson (int.)
    Wynne

Other guys that I could see showing up on the list would be Hairston, Jackon, and/or Enzo. I could see a situation where Wilson or Smith (or Gashi if he doesn't have a no-trade clause) get taken off this list because they would probably be viewed as prohibitively expensive to pick up their salary.

11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't we just give them our whole team and start over?

12. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this instance, I would prefer that there were an expansion "you must take them" clause we could invoke.

rapidogordo, Andy126, Sports Yak and 2 others repped this.
  13. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmmm . . .

Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2018 MLS Season and Homegrown Players on a Club’s Supplemental/Reserve Roster at the end of the 2018 MLS Season are automatically protected. Clubs do not have to use a protected slot on them.​

Clubs don't have to use protected slots on them, but the rule doesn't say clubs can't use protected slots on them. How 'bout the Rapids use protected slots on already-protected players to make more players available for selection? :D

Better yet, how 'bout listing Hudson as a player and leaving him available?

COMtnGuy, MrPerfectNot and JasonMa repped this.
  15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    While the attacking end is exciting and sexy to think about, I am wondering how the Rapids will be more stingy in the back. This season it seemed that more often than not they made an egregious mistake that cost and goal or two. And this was with veterans like Danny Wilson and Tommy Smith.

I know that defense really starts farthen up field and thus it's more than the back line that is involved. So. how well does Jack Price do with screening for the back three or four? He seems to be a solid distributor, but how often does he break up the opposition's attack? Yes, its more than than going to ground - it's reading the play and anticipating to win the ball.

Regardless, even scoring more goals next season, they need to figure out how to stop leaking so many. It looks like there won't be many changes on the back line given that Smith and Wilson will be here for years and of course Ford will be too. Perhaps the only loss there will be Edgar Castillo.

Sports Yak repped this.
  16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Since Andre Shinyashiki (DU - 28 goals in 19 matches) played on the Rapids' U-23 squad this summer do they have an inside tack to acquire him, or does he go through the MLS SuperDraft?

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he was never in the Academy so he'll have to go through the draft.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I figured it's be something like - he seems like a solid prospect, but the Rapids would have to give something(s) up to trade up in the draft I would think.

19. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another smart-alec thought on the draft rules. The rules say:

Five rounds as FC Cincinnati can select up to five players from the eligible pool; they can only claim a single player from any one club​
    and
    Once one player has been claimed from a club’s non-protected roster, that club is eliminated from the Expansion Draft and may not lose any further players.​

Nothing prohibits the Rapids from announcing that it's BOGO Day at the Okie-Dokie Corral: select one and get another free. Cincinnati wouldn't be claiming the freebie, and the Rapids certainly wouldn't be losing anything. :D

20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #95 m vann, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    In addition to not being eligible for HG contact despite play for U23’s, Shinyashiki has two other big strikes again him. He’s an international player and he’s a Senior. Separately neither one of those have bode well recently for prospects or teams in the draft. When you have the double whammy - international and senior - that’s almost undraftable unless you’re a “can’t miss guy”. I’ve seen DU play twice Shinyahsiki was good, very good, the best player the pitch by a long shot, but he still didn’t look like a can’t miss prospect. He’ll be drafted, I’m sure, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see him land in the USL Championship directly due to those two strikes. It’s riskier for a MLS club to take a flier on him. If I ran a MLS club that owned and operated a USL club, you bet your ass I’d draft him and stash him away in the USL.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  21. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    When you say "Senior," I assume you mean in college? Or is it something else.

And do these two things hurt his draft prospects because he takes up an international spot without the team drafting him knowing whether or not he'll succeed?

I wonder how long it would take him to get a green card? Seems that the Rapids FO has specialized in helping members of their squad get them.

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your assumption is correct. He’s a college Senior. He might even be a redshirt Senior but I don’t believe that’s the case.

Spot on. Your assumption is again correct. Those international slots are at a premium so it makes sense MLS clubs would rather spend that one a proven international or one that at least has professional resume.

Shinyahsiki spent a year or maybe two at a prominent private / boarding school Montvede Academy in FL. I know it’s tricky if educational years are counted towards earning a Green Card. We witnessed that in the long process with Sjoberg.

Sports Yak repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Thrilled yet deeply saddened by the quality of MLS play in the play offs Thursday and yesterday. Thrill in seeing how far this league has come, sad to be a supporter of a team that has let itself be left behind.