2018-19 Offseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Oct 15, 2018.

1. wafc4ever

wafc4ever Member

wigan
    England
    Mar 31, 2017
    So now we have 4 new MLS Draftees plus 2 more Homegrowns and a very young GK, are we expecting some/all of those to head out on loan this year?

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #527 JasonMa, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    I believe that just means that they count against the 30-man cap, it doesn't meant hey'll get first team minutes guaranteed.

Shinyashiki is the only one of the draftees already signed, the other 3 have to impress in camp. But yes, any of these 6 are likely loanees to the Springs.

What I don't get is the one year deal for Raben. Given that he's very unlikely to see first team minutes outside of maybe the Open Cup, what does that contract gain either side? The Rapids have already seen him train many times, so a one year deal so he can impress in some games with the Switchbacks to get another contract? Raben gives up a year of college eligibility and delays his degree for a career that might be over in 12 months? Seems odd.

Andy126 repped this.
  3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My predictions......

Shinyashiki - With the 1st team right from the get-go. He seriously may be the steal of the draft. I think he can integrate himself as a super-sub as the season progresses. It may could be a little choppy in the beginning as he learns the professional game. though.

Borges - He can play both RB and LB. He may be needed as coverage as the season progresses but I suspect he's a strong candidate for a loan. Looks to be solid defensively and can whip in some crosses. It's a wait and see approach.

Hauser-Ramsey - Like I admitted above, I've only seen extended highlights, but the dude is a Hulk. Great size, sure tackler, good in the air, and above average passer. I wouldn't be shocked to see him stick around the 1st team. I think it will be a battle between him and Raben on who's loaned out.

Mertz - Late round draftee who I suspect won't make the cut and will find himself in USL Championship or USL League One. Just a hunch.

Hundley - With the 1st team from the get-go. He will likely be named to the US U20 World Cup Roster and miss a chunk of the season. The kid can flat play and has a little bit of Acosta in him. I suspect Hundley's impact / contribution will come more towards the middle or latter part of the season due to the U20 World Cup and having limited time training with the Rapids.

Raben - Slightly smaller than Hauser-Ramsey but similar characteristics. I've only seen extended highlights but personally I like Hauser-Ramsey better because he looked like more confident on the ball. Like I said, it could be a battle between those two on whether he stays or goes on loan.

UxSxAxfooty and Andy126 repped this.
  4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #529 m vann, Jan 15, 2019
    Did a little digging...... Maybe I'm crazy for thinking this. But I 'm going to throw this out there. Sam is Jewish. He played in the Maccabi Games for the US. Maybe he has aspirations to play abroad (Israel) where he can automatically qualify as a domestic player but doesn't necessarily have concrete interest from a team right now. Signing a one year deal and getting loaned out could potentially drum up that interest. Two Israeli Premier League clubs have signed top USL talent this off-season with Hadji Berry (Swope Park Rangers) and someone else who's name is escaping me. It may be a gamble for Raben and the Rapids but it could pay off.

Or it could just be as simple as Hundley has the higher upside being younger and a current US U20 player as opposed to Raben who's older. I assume had Raben not been via signed HG he would have entered the draft and been drafted. I'm not sure where he would have gone but signing him to 1-yr. deal is low risk - high reward if he pans out.

Stuart95, JasonMa and Rod1916 repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering if maybe there had been some interest in him from overseas so this was a way for the Rapids to maybe get something out of their investment. If they want him before the end of 2019 the Rapids can sell him..

6. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...ee-team-training-camp-kicks-off-2019-for-mynt

Maybe I am misreading this, so correct me if I am wrong. Hundley is a long shot for the U-20 WC, USA called up 2 teams. The Expected U20 roster and a U19 Roster. Hundley is on the U19 Squad.

Griffin Dorsey F Indiana (Evergreen, CO) is on the U20 side.

JasonMa repped this.
  7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #532 m vann, Jan 15, 2019
    Hundley 's inclusion depends on the European contingent and some other factors. Clubs are not obligated to release players as the tournament falls outside the FIFA international dates. If some European based guys are not released we could see Hundley included. That U19/20 camp is for the purpose of identifying those spots if some Euros are excluded. It maybe a long shot but he is in the mix.

8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Hudson and Pádraig seem to share this assessment. For months I had been wondering how interested the Rapids were and figured they had a lot of opportunities to evaluate him both with the PDL side as well as at DU. Still wondering if Patel will figure out how to soon get him a green card?

What role do you see him playing for the Rapids? In the midfield as a #10 type, or more up top?

Can't believe how many acquisitions the Rapids have made in the last month and a half. Two months ago I figured they weren't going to do much as they didn't have an DP slots to work with and didn't seem to have the money or international slots to bring in transfers. Pádraig and Co. really seem to have really demonstrated ingenuity to improve starting quality and and depth in several areas.

I think of all the acquisitions the one I am mot intrigued by is Feilhaber. He seems to fit a need at the #10 role and obviously has the experience and skills to help with both possession as well as opening up the defense with a key through ball. As @JasonMa has pointed out, he may not be able to o the full 90 on a regular basis, but he should be able to go long enough to set a tone. I sure hope he has the impact JJ did in his brief time in burgundy.

Sports Yak repped this.
  9. jcaleo

jcaleo Member

Nov 3, 2006
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good depth signing

Andy126 repped this.
  11. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    And we could use some depth signings as well as the bigger ones.

Getting curious on what they will do with 2 DP slots opening up next year. The signings this year seem solid. Kick up 2 higher level players and we may have a competitive team.

Andy126 and wormhole repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing midfield creator and a top striker for the two DP signings next year, essentially replacing Feilhaber and Kamara (Feilhaber is only guaranteed for one year, Kamara for two)

Andy126 and Rod1916 repped this.
  13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it stands now our CB Depth Chart:

1) Smith
    2) Ford
    3) Sjoberg
    4) Wilson
    5) Opare
    6) Raben
    7) Hauser - Ramsey

Not shabby. Is it safe to assume that we have our 5 CB's? From this list Raben and Hauser-Ramsey look like candidates to be loaned out to the Switchbacks or elsewhere.

JasonMa repped this.
  14. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is what is Hudson's depth chart? Guy has his only reality when it comes to this.

15. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Seeing Smith #1 still gives me shivers.

RapidStorm and ogre1976 repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...tions-including-whos-winning-offseason-so-far

COMtnGuy, Sports Yak, Soaker888 and 3 others repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was just coming to post the same link ;)

m vann repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy, Andy126 and m vann repped this.
  20. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to ask, what the heck happened to the normal RFO? Where's the delay until after the draft and/or start of preseason to start rebuilding the roster? Where's the signings of obscure players from European lower leagues? Where's the apparent lack of a cogent plan when rebuilding the roster?

This preseason has been masterful with a awesome focus on proven MLS performers with a great mix of homegrown players and good draft picks.

Smith and the RFO did their part, now Hudson (and the players) need to perform.

21. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Orlando won the offseason last year by all accounts. They somehow conspired to get 3 fewer points than us, and we were pure dogbutt last year.

Our defense is still a mess - Rosenberry is an upgrade at RB, but we are expecting either Wynne or Sam Vines to be MLS quality at LB, or start at RB should Rosenberry be injured/called up. Our CBs still include Tommy Freaking Smith and Danny Freaking Wilson. Our DM loves to get yellow cards, but does little to break up attacks.

And we're banking on two 34-year olds to kick-start our offense, and if they can't, two sporadically-productive-at-best signings, in Rubio and Mezquida, to do it instead.

And Hudson is still the coach.

Let's temper expectations.

ogre1976, COMtnGuy and Sal Paradise repped this.
  22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preaching to the crowd. I just linked the article. It’s food for thought. Only expectation for me is to be competitive and better than last season. Our offseason has been exiting with the moves. We’re not used to that. With that said, on paper we’ve just caught up the middle of the pack. We are MLS 2.5 now instead of 1.0.

Andy126 repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a pretty glass half empty look at it though. Do we have some reason to expect Sam Vines can't handle the job well enough if the GM and coach says he can? Now I agree, there will probably be some ups and downs, but did you expect to fill every hole in one offseason? Danny Wilson is what, 4th or 5th on the depth chart at this point? (Smith, Ford, Sjoberg, Opare, then Wilson?). The attack ignores Acosta, who is a huge part of it IMO.

I'm not saying that means that we're going to be great, but the level of cynicism from some parts of the Rapids fanbase at this point is misplaced. We've had arguably our best offseason prior to camp opening maybe ever, with clear indications that the Front Office actually learned from their mistakes last season. Yes, Hudson is a major question mark, I won't deny that, but it might be time for Rapids fans to at least look at things with a more level-head. And that's coming from the in-house cynic for the last 10+ years,

24. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^^^Slow learner^^^^^
    :):)

25. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm optimistic. Why not? There are changes, and I still want to go to live games, so why not be hopeful?