2018-19 Off Season

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by puttputtfc, Nov 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I work at FedEx. We see a lot of packages from Instant Pot. Every time I get my hands on one, I can’t help but think about how many jokes there must be for that.

A lot of pet supplies, too. I see boxes containing a 72” cat tree frequently. I always wonder, “who the hell has a six-foot cat?”

Anyway... until ownership changes hands, it’s hard for me to get worked up about much else, because I don’t know who’s making the decisions.

TKyle repped this.
  2. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree.
    I think it would be a bad idea for FCC or Cbus to play their home openers against the other.
    Here in Cbus, I predict a really good crowd for Crewsmas, considering we’ll have a new owner. People won’t be “boycotting.”
    Cinci’s first game in ML$ will be epic for them.
    To me, it makes a lot more sense to have a second “epic” match for both clubs later in the season when they each host the other for the first time.
    Of course, ML$ gonna ML$.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd imagine the recipient's name is Arica Kress.

YITBOS repped this.
  4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I fully expect MLS to make this a rivalry. They'll probably introduce some stupid cup with a dumb ass name. Talk about how this was the plan when Cincinnati joined the league. Garber will get a chance to flash his shit eating grin in a photo shoot holding a two bit trophy with a couple new investors.

TKyle repped this.
  5. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be a rivalry for sure, even without the (unneeded) ML$ hype.
    It’s been dubbed the “Hell is Real” rivalry, of course. I wonder if ML$ will try to “rebrand” it to make it more family friendly, and, well, because they (ML$) seem to have a need to meddle in fan stuff they have no place to meddle in.
    I still think the matches with them need to happen on Saturdays somewhere between April and September.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  6. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how accomplishing No. 1 would go a long way toward effectively addressing challenges 2-6.

TRUJDUB, Tobias C and QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.
  7. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why the SGs need to trademark it and buy a trophy now.

8. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point.

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Mods please delete this.

10. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should Zack Steffen go? The platform he currently has is winning him the #1 national team job. He faces CONCACAF talent every week. Unless you think he'd enjoy the weather in Brugges why wouldn't he stay and play with his friends, here?

He deserves a nice raise. Let's get him that raise and not worry about GK for another season.

It seems like every year the members of this board try to ship off one or two of our players to Europe because it's the best or because the player should challenge themselves, and I've never understood this sentiment. We aren't these players agents and we don't know what they want for their lives and for their families.

11. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have both the multi-cooker and pressure cooker yet never equated it to marijuana ( assuming that is what you were doing ).
    They have a large user forum so I assume somebody has brought that up to one point... It does proof dough quite nicely using the yogurt setting ...

Strangely, when I searched and found a review on a pot site it was with a nasally blonde chick giving a full review of the pot but nothing about pot or pot in the pot or pot while using the pot although there was a pot behind the pot but with a regular plant not a pot plant (I think)... https://mjnewsusa.com/2018/11/full-review-on-the-instant-pot-is-it-worth-it/

But, yeah. Let's get the "who own da Crew?" ( "owns"... "owns owns...") deal done. Then smoke some pot I guess.

12. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    I wonder if Zack has enough caps for a EPL work permit? I can't see him going to a Championship side. Another year of caps may push him over the edge to get that work permit.

13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are not trying to ship him off. We are saying we should plan for the very real possibility that he gets an offer from a top 4 Euro league team & expresses a desire to leave.

Pauncho and CybrSlydr repped this.
  14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite. As almost every other team in the world has to do every season for any of their good players, barring the Madrids and Bayerns of the world

TrueCrew repped this.
  15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Steffen has hit the MLS wall. We are a feeder league and it's time for the inevitable to happen.

16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Steffen will only be leaving if another team meets our price. We shouldn't sell him cheap, I'd ask for 10 mil. Maybe someone will pay that but maybe not.

Robbo Crewfan and Smithsoccer1721 repped this.
  17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    10 million is steep for a GK that hasn't proven themselves at a higher level than MLS.

18. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bristol reportedly offered $4m~ for him, I'd be shocked if he were valued at $10m but stranger things have happened.

19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    People have been talking about him going to a mid or lower team in a top 4 league. Teams like that can afford 10 mil for a GK. Bristol is in the Championship not the Premiership. If no team in Europe thinks he's better than Championship material, then we should keep him.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I'll raise this question again. Who decides? It used to be MLS by itself (a la McBride). It now seems that the clubs have more control. But how much? Is there a point that MLS can override club interests?

21. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sure there is, especially if you are one of the “little fish”.

22. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    Byzantine by design would be my response. If you aren't behind the green curtain, I am not sure one can ever answer what kind of sway MLS/SUM itself has other than the fact that we all know MLS owns the contracts.

I have been trying to figure out who is in/out of contract for the yellow soccer team. Any info you find you still have to question as being legit or not. In attempting to uncover this I have run into a nice flowchart from SI on how a club in MLS can sign players (rather large to include) and a page on MLSsoccer.com that describes roster rules and regulations. Transfermarkt was the only place I found anything with contract dates. On their page only 63 players in all of MLS have contracts that extend past this year. According to their site, Pipa is the only Crew player signed for next year currently. Every other Crew player has their contract end on the 31st of Dec, aside from the rooks, whose contracts expire on the 30th of Nov. Several players have no 'Contract Until' date listed. What does this mean? I have no idea. One of them is Trapp, and I thought I read somewhere a while back that he signed an extension through 2020? Only other thing of note was that Milton's contract has an option to buy.

It's great that GGG has 'identified' players and needs for the roster, but if he is not here does this mean much? Do we want GGG trying to evaluate talent for the unknown coach that may be coming in with a completely diff't style of play in mind? If it is Wolff, this holds water. I personally think Wolff is gone with GGG to the USMNT, however.

Until the coach/sporting director/GM have been hired do we want any decisions made? Seems we could be stuck in a damned if we do/damned if we don't scenario depending when the rest of the league starts to sign/talk to players.

23. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I wish there were a soccer analog to the Cot's Baseball Contracts site.

24. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erickson's out as beat writer.
    1062814283069825033 is not a valid tweet id

25. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter