2018-19 Euro Leagues

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by puttputtfc, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Every time I doubt Sarri, he makes me look like a fool.

What a legend.

Bad day for England's and Chelsea fan xenophobes.

2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Spurs, Arsenal, ManU and Chelsea all racing for that coveted sixth place spot. Don't they know third is better?

Alneri repped this.
  3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    The most important league in the world just wrapped up. Not bad, Hull City.

hangthadj repped this.
  4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And Sarri's Chelsea has qualified for Champions League.

Rough day for the xenophobes....

Sorry, for your victory, @stanger

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Roma disaster in Genoa. See you in the Europa League, Dynamo East Belgrade. And Arsenal and Man United too, I guess.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guys might not even make that.... When we were 2nd at one point in the league and had beaten Bayern at home. But the really good teams have depth--and their second teams would be competitive in the league. And really, you have to do that if you are going to play CL regularly, as there's just too many games.

7. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea qualifies for CL not through their play but because Spurs, Man U and Arsenal all played like crap to end the season. If Hazard leaves, Sarri stays and there is a two window transfer ban for the Blues, I’m seeing mid table to relegation battles at Stamford Bridge.

8. Alneri

Alneri Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 3, 2018
    Inter slips up as well and Atalanta takes game 1 against Lazio to put them in prime CL positioning. Now if they can do it again to take home some hardware.

9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Woof. More embarrassing than a Porter press conference.

10. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Look, I'm upset that Arsenal are not going to be in the CL. But Arsenal (and ManU) crapped the bed down the stretch and Chelsea did not. Ergo, Chelsea did qualify through their play.

hangthadj repped this.
  11. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would argue that Arsenal, Spurs and Man U crapped the bed worse than Chelsea did.

And it’s not just me, look back through the thread and see posts like “no one wants top 4 this year”

Chelsea should be top 4 every year with their player budget. Celebrating the fact that others sucked more than they did isn’t my thing.

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We're these posts before or after, "SaRRi wILl abSoLUtEly nOT pLAy a 4-3-3!!!!!"

Neither is intellectually honest thought. Or admitting you were wrong.

Keep fighting the good fight, amigo.

13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Anyone know where to find NBC's broadcast schedule for Sunday's EPL games?

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If Man City wins the title that Kompany goal will be emblematic of the difference between them and Liverpool. A club servant and legend delivering whereas Liverpool's band of high priced mercenaries fall just short.

Here is hoping Man City can finish the job, for the good of the game....

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never thought I'd hear "Man City" and "good of the game" in the same sentence.....

Aaron d, stanger and puttputtfc repped this.
  16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Antonio Conte with the cruelest blow....

It's a statement of half truths. It's hard to envision Conte even managing Roma down the line because the conditions will always be this. Roma is a club that knows two speeds, crisis and chaos. Would Conte perhaps have taken this on had Roma qualified for UCL? I doubt it, but we'll never know.

And now Roma is in the cruelest limbo again. Who will be the next coach? Gasperini has been a name, but he is unlikely to leave Atalanta after qualifying them for Champions League. Giampaolo from Sampdoria is a name, but his Samp have given up the most goals of any team in Serie A's top half for the second year running. Sarri is a name, but Chelsea would be foolish to sack him after he exceeded all reasonable expectations for the season and may just have guided them to two cup finals. That leaves what, Ranieri for another year.

It's a disaster and it's a team in total flux. I was never high on the idea Gasperini or Giampaolo at Roma. I personally would have let Di Francesco finish the season and see where we wound up.

Now, to me the most likely and best option would be to extend Ranieri for another year. He's likely to say yes. He's a fan, he's a servant of the club, and he would have the city behind him.

But he's not a long term solution. In reality Romanisti have to look maybe 12 months down the line and hope that Chelsea scapegoat Sarri for the failings of their board and players next season. If Hazard leaves I agree with James that Chelsea placing top 4 again would be extremely difficult. He'd be scapegoated and hopefully come back to Italy and find a team with Zaniolo, Pellegrini, Kluivert, and others with 2-3 years under their belt at Roma and ready to commence a revolution.

It's depressing, but it's where we are. Next season is about treading water, maybe making a deep run in Europa and hoping that some of the youngsters develop enough under Ranieri that this team has any attraction to a top manager. It's dark days....

17. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klopp masterclass?

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    A very rich man's Eusebio Di Francesco. It's amazing what 385 million can buy you.

19. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Man City’s card declined? Look I know the point you’re making but money guarantees nothing.

20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You're right, it doesn't guarantee anything. But when Klopp says even if he had the money, he wouldn't spend it and he wants to do things differently it's important to hold him to account. And then when he spends a 385 million over a few years including at the time a European record signing of a goalkeeper and a EPL record signing of a defender it's okay to call out his hypocrisy. Especially when so many goddamn Liverpool fans lament the money other big clubs have spent excusing their own club.

It's time to call a spade a spade, Klopp a hypocrite, and Liverpool fans mostly clueless and completely lacking self awareness.

21. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You've had a lot of rage for Liverpool for quite some time and made it clear.

But today's match was dramatic and exciting. That quick restart on the last goal was astounding. Anyway, I had a great time watching. I never expected to see Barce to blow it again--and Liverpool to make it to the final, again.

Looking forward to Ajax-Liverpool!

Tobias C repped this.
  22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I did expect to see Barca blow it again. As soon as I saw Messi's body language I knew that he couldn't lead them. Manolas and Di Francesco permanently broke Barcelona. The rich man's Di Francesco was the beneficiary.

23. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ajax-Pool would be interesting but an all-England CL Final would cause enough outrage in Europe to change the system.

How I have no idea, but I imagine the rest of UEFA will try to find a way to make it never happen again.

24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The rest of UEFA would find a way to make possibly the most watched worldwide final never happen again?

25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    City, United, Chelsea, Bayern, Juve, Real, Barca. They're the same team at this point, aren't they?