2018-19 End of Season survey

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by unclesox, May 25, 2019.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This should be interesting.

Player of the Season (besides Messi)

Most Improved Player from last season

Best New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths)

Worst New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths)

Most Underrated Player

Most Disappointing Player

Ideal lineup if entire squad was available (no injuries or suspensions).

Favorite goal of the season

Best Moment of the season (on or off the pitch / use your own criteria)

Worst Moment of the season (on or off the pitch / use your own criteria)

Another La Liga title (8th of last 11). Was the season a success?

On a scale of 1 (disastrous) to 10 (outstanding), how would you rate the season overall?

This player needs to go!

The one summer addition (signing or promoted youth) you'd like to see made.

If Valverde were to leave who would you like as manager?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"The Other 19" (regarding the rest of La Liga, non-Barca related)

Player of the Season

Coach/Manager of the Season

Revelación / Best Young Player

Most Surprising Team

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any other comments on the season?

Lasting image of the season

jfcule, evil_allan, jcvf90 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    While everything is fresh...

Player of the Season (besides Messi) MAtS

Most Improved Player from last season Dembélé

Best New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths) Lenglet

Worst New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths) Kevin-Prince Boateng (useless purchase, even as striker insurance)

Most Underrated Player Malcom (as in, underrated by EV)

Most Disappointing Player Coutinho

MAtS
    Sergi Roberto Piqué Umtiti Alba
    Busi
    Rakitic Arthur
    Messi Suárez Dembélé

Favorite goal of the season Rakitic volley vs. Tottenham

(didn't catch this live because my son was born almost the same minute!)

El Clásico 5-1 whupping of LPB that destroyed Lopetegui WITHOUT LEO. WHAT MESSIDEPENDENCIA??

Toward the end of the game at Anfield when it was clear there was no fight in the team for even 1 goal to send them through.

Honestly, going into the season, seeing the train wreck LPB was going to be without CR7 and coached by Lopetegui, and Atleti in decline, La Liga was ours for the taking. We wanted the CL and shat the bed in the worst way. Again.

On a scale of 1 (disastrous) to 10 (outstanding), how would you rate the season overall?
    4. Meh. Not very memorable except for the huge collapse at Anfield.

This player needs to go!
    Coutinho. I think part of his problem is tactical, though. EV might not have used him well.

Iñaki Williams (yes, over Griezmann)

1. Erik Ten Hag
    2. Quique Setién (with assistant Xavi?)
    3. Ronald Koeman
    4. García Pimienta

Player of the Season Pablo Sarabia

Coach/Manager of the Season Lopetegui! :sneaky: j/k Marcelino

Revelación / Best Young Player Mario Hermoso (is 23 young?)

Most Surprising Team Getafe came 2 points shy of a CL spot

EXTRA: WORST SIGNING Courtois

It's not that we failed to win the CL, it's the way we crashed out these last 2 years. Not sure how big an overhaul is needed. The strange thing is, the new additions actually exceeded expectations: Arthur and Lenglet both became regular starters, and Vidal was a solid sub and role player. The time may be coming to think about replacing core players: Alba, Piqué, Busquets have all had an inconsistent season not up to their usual standards.

[​IMG]

evil_allan repped this.
  3. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    This should be interesting.

Player of the Season (besides Messi): Ter Stegen then Pique

Most Improved Player from last season: Semedo?

Best New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths): Lenglet, and although he was good, Arthur didn't become better as the season progressed, Aleña had limited minutes, and Valverde struggled to juggle minutest correctly

Worst New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths): KPB. The board really needed to figure something out about the striker in Winter, and they were very uncreative. KPB has never been a real striker. I'm sure something could have been done for a guy like Mario Gomez, Balotelli, Falcao, Tevez.

Most Underrated Player: Malcom. Underrated even by his manager. When he had a key moment, he didn't get more minutes. Tried way too hard to recover Coutinho, but never made sure Malcom got going. Having no one to come off the bench to change games really hindered the team.

Most Disappointing Player: Suarez/Busi

Ideal lineup if entire squad was available (no injuries or suspensions):

TerStegen;Semedo,Pique,Lenglet,Alba;Rakitic,Arthur,Vidal;Messi,Dembele,Suarez

Busi was poor, and Valverde should have dropped him at some point. That is were some courage is needed. I don't think any of the passes or ball progression he was creating outweighed the danger he allowed when pressed.

Favorite goal of the season: Suarez chip in the first clasico or Messi FK vs Liverpool

Best Moment of the season (on or off the pitch / use your own criteria): Winning the League

Worst Moment of the season (on or off the pitch / use your own criteria): Anfield

Another La Liga title (8th of last 11). Was the season a success? No, the team did not improve from the previous season. And while playing a style that admits you are not as good as you used to be, you need to win more to vindicate that sacrifice.

On a scale of 1 (disastrous) to 10 (outstanding), how would you rate the season overall? 7

This player needs to go! Suarez and Coutinho

More minutes for Riqui Puig would be fun. Heung-Min Son is the kind of player Messi needs, a darting run and finisher.

If Valverde were to leave who would you like as manager? Van Bronckhorst

Player of the Season: Oblak

Coach/Manager of the Season: Bordalas

Revelación / Best Young Player: Djene

Most Surprising Team: Getafe or Real Madrid for opposite reasons

Valverde attempted to curb the age issue by being more reliable at the back. But he attempted to do so at a time in Europe were being adventurous and taking risks, seems to be more beneficial. He allowed the team to not press like Ajax, but it would have been suicide if they did, too old. But then a team like Liverpool can pin you back, and with momentum change a whole tie.

It worked for La Liga because Barca has more talent, and it looked good very often. But Barca just made sure to win. It was never incredible performances, and it would have worked had it not been for those meddling reds.

More importantly, the PL money is incredible. Bottom tier teams are getting what Barca was getting 4-5 years ago. It will be much harder to compete, because those PL teams are starting to figure out how to correctly spend their money. First with managers that have a good process, and then with much better scouting/analysis. Barca need to be smart for their future.

Which leads me to, and this will sound as heresy, but Messi's salary does hinder Barca, and I'm not suggesting Barca should sell Messi, but they should definitely have an honest conversation on the potential of the team vs his salary. Particularly if guys like Rakitic, Umtiti and Coutinho will be tough to get out b/c of their salaries. It's a tough thing to manage.

I'm a big Miami Heat fan, and in 2010 when we got the big 3, Wade left money so they could get what was needed to win. And I know it's easy to say when it's not my money, and playes have short careers etc...but is it too much to ask of Messi to drop some of his salary?

Finally, it seems Barca will stick to Valverde. Barca need players that run and finish. Players that are constantly looking to stretch defenses, Messi will find them. That means no Griezmann, it means a player in the old Pedro mould imo.

Lasting image of the season[/QUOTE]

inswinger and evil_allan repped this.
  4. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Congrats! :thumbsup:

inswinger repped this.
  5. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Player of the Season (besides Messi): Ter Stegen

Most Improved Player from last season: Nobody improved significantly

Best New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths): Lenglet

Worst New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths): Murillo

Most Underrated Player: Pique

Most Disappointing Player: Coutinho

Ideal lineup if entire squad was available (no injuries or suspensions):

Dembele-Suarez-Messi
    Arthur-Busquets-Rakitic
    Alba-Umtiti-Pique-S.Roberto
    Ter Stegen

Favorite goal of the season: Messi free-kick 3-0 in CL semi

Best Moment of the season: Beating Liverpool 3-0

Worst Moment of the season (on or off the pitch / use your own criteria): Anfield

Another La Liga title (8th of last 11). Was the season a success? Yes and no. Just winning Liga and nothing else is, trophy-wise, far from a bad season. But the manner in which we lost the CL semi affects the grade, and performance-wise, it didn't look like a season towards a stronger direction. Give me this exact season, and a complete mystery season, I'd pick the mystery. But I value Liga a lot. Mixed emotions.

On a scale of 1 (disastrous) to 10 (outstanding), how would you rate the season overall? 2. Liga is great, but you don't lose a three goal lead in CL semi. It was one match, but it didn't come out of nowhere.

This player needs to go! Nobody is a lost cause, if they're coached well and put into a right role. But if a name is forced, then probably Umtiti. Good player, but I want us to sign De Ligt, and his injuries don't seem like a joke.

The one summer addition (signing or promoted youth) you'd like to see made. Bernardo Silva.

If Valverde were to leave who would you like as manager? Pep Guardiola.

Good Liga questions, but am too tired to answer them now.

6. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Player of the Season (besides Messi)
    [​IMG]

Most Improved Player from last season
    [​IMG]

Best New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths)
    [​IMG]

Worst New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths)
    [​IMG]

Most Underrated by Valverde
    [​IMG]

Most Underrated by Fans
    [​IMG]

ShortyMac repped this.
  7. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    [I had to split my post in two because too many pictures]

Most Disappointing Player
    [​IMG]
    Just not good enough. not good enough offensively to compete in attack and not good enough defensively or in possession to compete in midfield. he costs too much money to be a bench warmer and he managed to turn the Camp Nou against him. possibly the second worst signing in FCB history, after Zlatan.

-----Dembele-----Suarez-----Messi-------
    -------------Arthur---------Rakitic------------
    Alba---------------Sergio-----------Roberto
    ------------Umtiti----------Pique--------------
    ------------------TerStegen--------------------

Favorite goal of the season
    [​IMG]
    Messi vs Liverpool

[​IMG]
    winning the league at home vs Levante was unforgettable for me because I was there in the stadium.

[​IMG]

For any other club in the world, this would have been considered a very good season.
    By the lofty standards this club has set over the past decade this will be considered disappointing.

[​IMG]

This player needs to go!
    [​IMG]

I understand, and share, the hard-on everyone here has for DeLigt. but I think our priority this summer should be revamping the attack. ideally, I'd like to see DeLigt spend one more season at Ajax before joining us (assuming Umtiti returns to full fitness), that would allow us to put all our resources into signing a starting LW and a young ST who can gradually take over from Suarez.

I would be more supportive of the #ValverdeOut calls if I felt like there was a stand out candidate to replace him. Xavi is not ready yet, as he has pointed out himself. Quique Setien would be a huge gamble as he has never actually accomplished anything as a coach and was just fired by Betis. Ten Hag is very interesting but he's also very inexperienced. Koeman might be the best option available right now, and he's done well with the Netherlands job but his club coaching career has been one disaster after another. So at this point, if Valverda left, the only coach I'd be happy with is Pep. and that's not happening as long as Bartomeu is around - he's the one I really want gone.

ShortyMac repped this.
  8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Player of the Season (besides Messi) - MAtS

Most Improved Player from last season - Dembele. Also Pique who had a great season ... not so last.

Best New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths) - Vidal

Worst New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths) - KPB

Most Underrated Player - Roberto .. jk :ROFLMAO: ... Malcom. EV never gave him a chance.

Most Disappointing Player - Coutinho without a doubt.

MAtS; Semedo, Pique, Lenglet, Alba; Busquets, Arthur, Rakitic; Dembele, Suarez, Messi.

Favorite goal of the season - Messi vs Liverpool. There was so much hope ... although he scored that volley as well. And the chip vs Betis. And the one ... so many.

Best Moment of the season (on or off the pitch / use your own criteria) - 3 x 0 vs Liverpool ... 5 x 1 vs Madrid sans Messi. Beating Madrid back to back too.

Worst Moment of the season (on or off the pitch / use your own criteria) - Anfield. Specifically the corner goal.

Another La Liga title (8th of last 11). Was the season a success? - Yes and No. Had we lost to Liverpool another way, it would have been OK. If we didn't build a 3 x 0 lead. If they weren't using subs for their front line.

On a scale of 1 (disastrous) to 10 (outstanding), how would you rate the season overall? - 6.5. Winning La Liga is good, but the football being displayed is not convincing and we are going in the wrong direction. Wouldn't be surprised with a trophy less season coming up if things don't change.

This player needs to go! - Coutinho. Feel sorry for him because he is not a bad guy. Forced his way to come here and it just hasn't worked. He'd only work if a lot of things on the team change. And I don't see it happening.

The one summer addition (signing or promoted youth) you'd like to see made. - Don't even know. I guess De Ligt since he hasn't signed. Joao Felix would be a great catch. Wouldn't mind Neres either.

If Valverde were to leave who would you like as manager? Ten Hag .. because why not ?

Player of the Season - I'd be lying if I pay attention to the rest of the teams. Unless there is a clear standout.

Coach/Manager of the Season - I guess Marcelino Valencia ?

Revelación / Best Young Player - Vinicius Jr.

Most Surprising Team - Getafe

Any other comments on the season? - It was not supposed to happen again ...

evil_allan repped this.
  9. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Player of the Season (besides Messi) ter Stegen

Most Improved Player from last season Dembelinho (when fit)

Best New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths) Lenglet

Worst New Addition (includes summer signings and promoted youths) Prince

Most Underrated Player Malcom

Most Disappointing Player Coutinho (very much so, sadly)

Ideal lineup if entire squad was available (no injuries or suspensions). Mats, Semedo, Pique, Umtiti, Alba, Biscuits, Arthur, Rakitic, Dembelinho, Suarez, GOAT.

Favorite goal of the season Messi's FK vs Pool, thought we were going all the way at that point... Sigh.

Best Moment of the season (on or off the pitch / use your own criteria) Definitely the 3-0 vs Liverpool. Though beating Madrid is always up there.

Worst Moment of the season (on or off the pitch / use your own criteria) Anfield, nothing else comes even remotely close.

Another La Liga title (8th of last 11). Was the season a success? I mean, how can you be disappointed by winning 8 out of 11 Liga titles? And yet, our apparent CL complex weighs heavy. I'd have been more quick to call it a success had it not been for the way we got knocked out in CL, but also had we at least won the double.

On a scale of 1 (disastrous) to 10 (outstanding), how would you rate the season overall? Had we won the double at least, I'd have given it a 7,5. As things stand, I'd say a 6,5 purely because we won the Liga and people underestimate it because we are so used to it.

This player needs to go! Coutinho, the time has come. Loved how much he wanted to play here and how he hit the ground running. It's only gone downhill from there, though. Hope he goes somewhere and gets his mojo back, great guy, unfortunate situation.

The one summer addition (signing or promoted youth) you'd like to see made. Assuming we're most likely already signing de Ligt, I'd love to see Neymar back here, regardless of the way he left us, he's the only player out there currently who'd instantly improve out attack and take some of that load off Messi. It also helps that he has such a good relationship with Messi and Suarez. The only problem with his signing is what may happen with Dembele. Side-note: I'd also love to see Puig getting more minutes. Couldn't stick to just one, sorry :p

If Valverde were to leave who would you like as manager? I'd love to have Pep back. However, realistically, either Koeman or Ten Hag would do well here imo.