2018-19 DFB-Pokal Round of 16: Borussia Dortmund vs Werder Bremen

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by BVBFNM, Feb 3, 2019.

1. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    All I want is this game to be won within ninety minutes. We have much tougher games ahead of us so don't fool around and put this one to bed early.

2. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    Kagawa just scored for Besiktas ... I can't help but wonder about the impact he would have had, had he been given an opportunity ... they need to rotate this game. Favre has made some piss poor decisions in terms of personel this year ... let's hope the same mistake is not repeated with Max Phillip here.

3. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Kagawa had two yesterday... Cant help but wonder if we couldnt have kept him and sold off someone else.

TimBenneth repped this.
  4. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Let's not compare Turkey with Germany. One is in the top four and the other barely makes it to the top 10.

5. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Burki and Hitz are both sick.

6. Jiri Havran

Jiri Havran Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Oslo
    Club:
    Shanxi Baorong
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Since we didn't bring any new attacking players this transfer window, it's about the time to give a chance to Gomez. Not saying that tonight is the right time, but in games like vs Hannover he should have been on the bench and given at least 30 minuttes when leading 3 or 4:0. Even on Saturday vs Frankfurt he couldn't be any worse than JBL. Why JBL is given priority, even over Phillip, is beyond my understanding. When both Paco and Sancho are on the pitch, there's no genious substitutions any more. Puli and JBL didn't have any impact on the game.
    On the other hand, what I've seen by Rode was great. Not that I'm so big fan, but what he showed on Saturday was at least as good as Delaney

7. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Oelschlägel
    Hakimi Weigl Toprak Diallo
    Delaney Witsel
    Pulisic Reus Guerreiro
    Götze

Neither Witsel nor Reus get a rest. Sancho is sick as well. I hope that all those who caught the flu will only miss this game because the coming weeks are tough.
    I'm not expecting much contribution to the offense from Diallo but with both number 1 and 2 goal keepers missing, I'd be in a favor of a more conservative approach.

8. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    It's a very strong team, but maybe Favre is trying to play them into top form. It was a poor start and I am surprised Dahoud did not get a game. He must be doing something very wrong in training.

The passing from the defence is at it's weakest with Toprak a CB and Diallo at LB.

Not many clear cut chances created either, but the positive is this is the sharpest Pulisic has looked all season. It's probably his best performance.

Reus once again with an important goal. Let's win this with no injuries.

9. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    1:1 at halftime. Bremen scored early because of a laughable freekick. Reus with a fantastic direct freekick scored the equalizer just before the half.
    Pretty average game by us but not too bad. Diallo is trying his best but he's not a LB. He can't go these 1 on 1s that Hakimi can do and we miss the offensive spark on the left side. Guerreiro's game is suffering as a result because he often has to play further back to be an outlet for Diallo when he's under pressure. We didn't allow much but also didn't create chance after chance. I'm expecting Philipp and Alcacer in the second half.

10. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That was a nerve wracking half. We got lucky since their GK tried to cheat on the FK and still failed.

Now Lucien needs to earn his keep. Bremen have 10 players behind the ball. They're going to play for penalties. We cannot afford that. Not with sick players and only a 7 point margin separating is from Bayern and BMG.

11. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Rode never stayed fit and had his chance. Hopefully he continues to play well especially against Bayern and goes for a good price.

Pulisic has been better today, but we are lacking in quality in attack. Philipp looks like he is on his way out and probably to Leipzig.

12. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What a save 3 min before time on that FK.

13. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Such a poor second half. Reus is injured and we are in serious trouble. It's the worst possible time. I have a very bad feeling we are going to badly regret not strengthening this January.

We can see clearly the areas we need to improve on for next season. The midfield are not getting the ball to the attackers. Pulisic has been terrible, lost the ball every single time. Gotze has worked hard and Toprak has given the ball away several times in key areas. Favre needs to make a sub.

14. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    2:1 Pulisic, hell yes, it was getting annoying. Just bring it home now.

15. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    And back to where it all started. 2:2. Very poor defensive effort.

16. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    3:2 Hakimi, nice assist by Philipp.

17. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    And it's penalties with our rookie gk. He had some great saves though but also didn't look good for the third goal.

18. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    3:3 off of a corner kick...deserved by Bremen as they have taken it to us both periods of extra time and our third goal should've been flagged for handball too.

19. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Third taker scores our first pen. Yikes.

Bremen 4/4 they practiced spotkicks for sure. Aaaand we are out....

20. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Deserved win by Bremen. Oh well, guess the bright side is that they now can fully concentrate on the league and CL.

Scheherazade repped this.
  21. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    We are out of the Cup. I'm not that bothered by it but it's still annoying. We dominated possession and didn't do much with it while Bremen only played for pks. When we got the lead, we almost gave it away immediately. Alcacer and Philipp missed their pks. It's more important to get all the injured/sick players back.
    Reus was subbed because of muscle issues.

22. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Very poor result and it goes to show our season is as fragile as our world class, but fragile captain.

Pulisic did great for the goal, but his second half was awful. Larsen was just a pub player. Diallo is not a good left back and Alcacer didn't do anything.

The keeper is the 3rd choice, but he has to keep out the 3rd Bremen goal. Just a very disappointing result.

Toprak is our 5th best defender.

23. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    diallo was terrible offensively, toprak at his usual marking bs. this games just shows how we r lacking proper dept

24. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    We haven't exactly been winning so many trophies in recent years we can dismiss the cup.

It's a big blow going out of the cup and if Reus misses the Tottenham game, then I see little chance of going through that.

We still need at the least 3 signings for next summer and possibly a 4th in central midfield.

These positions are clear weak spots in the team.

LB,
    RW/LW
    CF

At CB we are missing our two best defenders.

25. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Unfortunately this game just showed the lack of alternatives that we have in case of multiple injuries. Diallo is and should always be an emergency LB option as he brings nothing offensively and, more importantly, take Guerreiro out of his game as well due to no link-up play. Hakimi and Guerreiro have built up some nice chemistry and should be the undisputed starters on the left side. LP, despite his age, is also just as vital to the team which has been proven time and again this season.

I do fault Favre for not playing Dahoud earlier or from the start this game seeing that Bremen would be playing for PK and us needing an option at CM to break through the lines.

Now we just have to hope that Reus is not gonna start with his muscular injuries moving forward as this team lives and dies by his game.