2018-19 Development Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deciding the rules for work permits for soccer players isn't nearly as complicated. It's also not nearly as important, but people like the sport so it will get dealt with swiftly.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1026437547117953024 is not a valid tweet id

3. It isnot about whether it's complicated or not. It is part of the row between the EU and the UK about free movement of labour/EU citizens.
    The UK wants free access to the EU without free movement, while that's a corner stone of the EU.
    It isnot a matter of doing it as a side action. It's part of the core of what the whole Brexit is about.

4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right -- at the moment, EU players have free access to the UK labor markets, which means they can sign with English clubs without worrying about work permit requirements.

With Brexit, the free access to the UK labor market goes away. But that just means that EU player access to the UK reverts to work permit rules for footballers, which can easily be changed by the UK and the UK alone at any time.

I would expect the UK to change work permit rules to make it relatively easy for European players to sign for English clubs. But those WPs would apply specifically to players, not to random workers.

5. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    18 year old Jonathan David from Ottawa came on as a second half sub and scored the equalizer for KAA Gent in their season opener of the Belgian league.

The Whitecaps pushed hard to get him in their academy, but he stayed in Ottawa and turned them down previously. I'm glad he did, because he would never get to play meaningful soccer for Vancouver in MLS.

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @DeAnzaForce’s Tweet:

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. El Tuca Ferretti

Tigres
    United States
    Jan 7, 2018
    TarHeels17 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Who are these players?

9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Something right is happening in Seattle.

10. El Tuca Ferretti

Tigres
    United States
    Jan 7, 2018

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  12. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    #63 asoc, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    A few good reads.

First is a short read.
    Sounders sent a team to Japan for a tournament where they took 3rd as well.
    https://www.soundersfc.com/post/201...-lagerwey-discusses-recent-successes-sounders

Second talks about the Elite Formation Coaching License and about Rich Little receiving it. He is the third current member of the Sounders organization to get it. Darren Sawatzky received it while he was with the organization but he only has very loose ties to the Sounders now. He is the GM and coach for the Sounders U-23s which is only loosely associated with the club. Sean Henderson and Marc Nicholls also have earned it.
    https://www.soundersfc.com/post/201...receives-prestigious-elite-formation-coaching

I think many people forget about this program. MLS instituted this a few years back now.

Last is a brief article about David Estrada and his roll on S2 and as an assistant coach for the U-15s.
    https://www.soundersfc.com/post/201...-assistant-coach-david-estrada-thrives-second

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Pl@ymaker and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The tournament down in Mexico begins on Thursday. LAG, Atlanta United, FCD, Toronto are the four MLS participants, like last year. It's for 02's and younger.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I wish Seattle was there.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd like to see Seattle start doing better with moving their young players on up the system.

Rogers should be on an MLS contract, and starting to get some games. Ocampo-Chavez should be exclusively with the pros from now on (except maybe playoffs, showcase, GA Cup). He shouldn't be playing in weekly academy matches. I saw Bello wasn't even listed on the Atlanta United U-19 roster. Thats how it should be for Ocampo-Chavez. The difference between the U-17 and U-19 level really isn't much. Ocampo-Chavez is too good for the DA. Play him regularly with the USL team for the rest of the season, and start incorporating him into the first team next season.

Muse should be signed to a contract no later than following the end of the NCAA season. Even if he's not playing much for the first team, get him into a pro environment. He should be starting every week for the second team, if he's not with the first team. If Muse wasn't going to block him from playing time, I'd say the same thing for Fowler. Maybe they wait two seasons on him, like they would be doing with Muse if he signed. Players like Malone, Gonzalez, Serrano, Robles, Vargas, Atencio should be playing with the second team in 2019, if they are real first team prospects. The best players in the top level of the academy should be good enough to play in the reserve team.

17. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have film on Ocampo-Chavez? It’s a name I’ve heard for a while but only seen him once or twice

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #51 in white. Enters in 55th minute.

Enters in 57th minute.

Enters in 56th minute.

Starts #9.

Enters in 67th minute.

Starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIUzPn6igiY

Scroll to April 2017 in the videos listed here. #21 for USA in the Torneo Delle Nazioni. There's a bunch of games listed.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/soccernetworkllc/videos/?ref=page_internal

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Atlanta United released their rosters for the upcoming season.

Luke Mitchell ('01), a CB, joins from Colorado Rapids. Don't know much about him, but he was a regular at Colorado. Miguel Gonzalez ('01), a #10, joins from what looks to be a high school team. He has trained before with Pachuca. Heath Martin ('01), joins from IMG academy. He was a regular in his age group, and played up some with the U-19 age group. Diego Lopez ('02) is listed as playing up an age group. We'll see how often he does, as Conway seems to be ahead of him in the CF pecking order.

Darvin Velasquez ('02) joins the U-17's from NASA (don't know what this is). Ajani Fortune joins from what looks to be a non-DA team in North Carolina. I can't tell for sure, but I think he's an '02. I can't find where Tyler Irvin ('02) joins from. He was at Orlando City the year prior. Owen Travis ('02) joins from MOBA Soccer Academy. Don't know what that is. Manuel Carrillo also joins from NASA. I can't tell for sure what year he's from, but I think an '02.

Salia Carr ('02) joins from Birmingham United SA. I found an article saying he moved from Sierra Leone to Alabama at age 2. He seems to be a defender. Garrison Tubbs ('02) joins from Jacksonville Armada. Stats aren't great. Listed as a forward. Only scored 4 goals in 36 starts. Maybe he's more of a playmaker. Coleman Gannon ('02) joins from IMG Academy. He was a regular starter with their U-17's. Kobey Stoup ('03) is the only '03 on the roster. He's a regular in his YNT age group. Atlanta United has a U-16 roster this year (that won't play in the DA), so their 03's will mostly not play in the DA this season. Stoup being promoted to the older team is notable. FC Dallas does the same type of thing. We only saw a couple of their 02's with the U-17's last season.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Minnesota United just seems asleep at the wheel when it comes to their youth programs............................

Sandon Mibut and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That's the one that FCD made the final of last year. They lost to Pachuca in a really tight contest. Those clubs have formed an interesting rivalry at the youth level. Always seem to meet in the Dallas Cup and other events.

The FCD roster is in the link below. Notable names listed include youth national teamers Beni Redzic, Dante Sealy, Edwin Villarreal, Reece Fragle, Ricardo Pepi, Diego Latayf, etc. Seth Wilson in goal.

ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Minnesota United only has teams at the U15 level down. Couldn't have rostered Flores due to this. Your point is valid, just in a different way. MNUFC is losing out on quite a bit of talent due to its hard headed insistence on building the academy from the bottom. Another example, Caden Clark. An '03 that grew up in Minnesota playing in the DA at MTA (and has been to multiple national camps). Recruited to play at Barca Academy in Arizona last year because there was no MLS academy at his age in Minnesota. Want another? We mentioned before JT Harms moving out to the Crew Academy. Again, multiple national camps. He also played in the virtual shadow of MNUFC at Shattuck the last two years. Want another? Masango Akale '02 (Mukwelle's little brother) is in Spain right now visiting. I don't know this for sure, but considering the partnership MTA just signed with Villarreal (and his brother presence at the club) I wouldn't at all be shocked if he is looking at a move over when he turns 18. Want Another? Clarence Weah, an '02 from the twin cities rostered to Sporting KC Academy. I could go on, but it saddens and angers me.

24. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good write up! NASA is North Atlanta Soccer Association, just a non-DA club in the Atlanta area. I hear some prominent BigSoccer posters plied their trade their ;)

ussoccer97531 repped this.