2018-19 Development Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more thing about this... after the first ten or so minutes of the Portland-Galaxy u17 game, I noticed the 10 for Portland looked like he had some quality. He was wearing #36 so I couldn’t figure out who he was. The only 36 in Portland’s academy is a 14 year old who has only played 3 games. This kid was definitely not 14. As I watched him, it was clear he was among their best players and more athletically gifted than anyone else on their team. However, they struggled to get him the ball as he was a little stoic in the middle of the field and their attack was finding space to the outside. A few minutes later, he found himself alone with the ball about 22 yards out. He hit a high, soft, shot perfectly into the upper right corner of the goal.

I guess it turns out #36 was Masango Akale. At least that’s what JR Eskilson said on Twitter. He definitely looks bigger than his brother.

2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's how he looks.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/masango-akale-at-villarreal.2085917/

3. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I was just perusing DA results and I came across the Total Football Academy U13s. They're 18-1-1. Their only loss came against the Pateadores (1st game of the season), but they recently beat them. In addition, they've trounced a number of teams, including the LAG, 6-1 and 7-1. In 20 games Diego Bravo-Acosta, F, has 33 goals, Felipe Juarez, F, has 19 goals, and Jake Salazar, M, has 14 goals. Results at this age are relatively unimportant, yet... with that much production and wins my sense is that there are players there that may be worth following in the next few years.

Tom Collingsworth and USSoccerNova repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I saw a couple recent games from some of the MLS academies. A few good players not included in my post (Hall, Letayf, Wilson) were not included because I saw nothing too different from what I had seen before.

Philadelphia:

Dante Huckaby ('03): I think this was the first time I had seen him play. Philadelphia does tend to be one of the MLS clubs that is very cautious in promoting their best players at the upper levels (they aren't so cautious with it at lower levels), so its notable that Huckaby has been a regular all season with the U-17's. From what I saw, there's potential there, but he's a very raw player. He plays CB. He has an athletic frame with good height and mobility, but is very slight. He needs to bulk up. His positioning was constantly a problem, so thats another area he needs to work on. His passing wasn't anything out of the ordinary. There looks to be decent potential here, but he's very raw.

Julian Anderson ('02): Very good ability on the ball. He has a calmness to how he plays. At times, too calm. He thinks he can hold onto the ball in CM too long, and ends up losing it trying to play keep away. He was playing as an 8/10. I'm not sure if he has any real carrying tools besides the ball control. He's not a bad playmaker, but not a high-level one. He's a real prospect, but a flawed one who needs to sort out his best position, and show some better decision-making with the ball.

Paxten Aaronson ('03): Brother of the Union first team playmaker. The younger Aaronson might be another first team prospect. He immediately stands out for how small he is compared to others, but he can play. I've seen him a couple of times now, and despite being the smallest player on the field, he makes plays as a #10. He's a smart player who has good dribbling and passing. I don't know if he does anything overly dynamic, but he does a lot well from the #10 position.

Columbus:

Elton Chifamba ('03): Highest stock in the DA, IMO. I had recently bumped him up to #3 in the '03 year. I wasn't completely sure about it, but he's now put a gap between himself and #4. He consistently this season has shown the ability to dominate games in the middle of the park. He's reading the game a lot better than last season, and has cut down on the errors. As I've described his game before, he plays like Tyler Adams, but passes the ball a lot better. I think he's going to require a first team contract soon, otherwise he'll eventually sign in Europe.

Sam Sarver ('03): I wasn't completely sure if his approach was as one-dimensional as I initially thought, but I'm starting to think it is. Thats not necessarily a bad thing. He has really good acceleration. There are very few defenders at the academy level who can run with him. He also has shown surprisingly good end-product for a player with average skills besides the running. I don't see any big weaknesses in his skill-set, but his carrying tool is going to need to continue to carry him.

There's not a whole lot of variety here, and not much he does better than average (aside from the running and decision making in the final third). Columbus has been using him as a #9 this season. Its not a bad strategy. Play through balls to Server as you win back the ball, and hope he catches up to it once or twice per game. It usually works. I think he's more of a winger because he doesn't have much of a hold-up game. He's not one to battle with CB's. There's a little prime Landon Donovan to his game with less natural skill.

Anthony Hernandez ('03): The more I watch, the more inconsistency I see in his play. He's a real prospect, but not the high-level guy that any of the three above teammates are. He has some ability to dictate the game in the center of midfield as an 8/10 tweener with good ball control and passing, but other times he's completely invisible. There's little in the way of a contribution, if he's not dictating the pace of the game, so he needs to show more consistency and round out his game.

FC Dallas:

Jonathan Gomez ('03): Gomez is keeping Chifamba out of the #2 spot in the '03 year. He has the most attacking potential of any American fullback prospect I've seen play. He has elite passing vision, dribbling and combination play. He's a highly dynamic attacking talent from the LB position. He does tend to show a riverboat gambler approach at the academy level, but I saw a lot of the same from Scally and Bello at the academy level. These top fullback prospects tactically take up wingback positions at the academy level to help the offense. Others are expected to fill in for them defensively.

For all the attacking prowess Gomez shows, he does have good defensive ability when the play is in front of him. There are some errors with positioning and turnovers (as alluded to), but thats mostly due to his attacking style. When he needs to defend, he shows very good technique and an advanced read of the game defensively. He has good athleticism, as well. Both Gomez kids in the FC Dallas system are good athletes.

Cesar Garcia ('02): I am not a big fan of what I see, but I know some do like his game, so I tried to approach what I watched with a more open-mind about his game. What I see is a very inconsistent level of play. There is talent here. He can score a spectacular goal or make a very high level pass, but other times he disappears from the game or struggles with the fundamentals. Due to a good talent level, I wouldn't write off his ability to carve out a good pro career as a #8, but right now he's not one of the better FCD prospects IMO due to the lack of consistency that he shows.

Nico Carrera ('02): I'm starting to see more flaws in his game than I had seen in recent games I had watched. His lack of pace is a real problem, and he compounds it with an approach bringing the ball out of the back that makes the problem worse. He often is caught too far up the field, and holds onto the ball too long. He is often a step away from having the ball taken from him. If that happens, he has no chance to get it back because he has no ability to win a sprint against attackers who have average or better pace. He's a good player, but I think like all the CB's in the '02 pool (besides Gray), I don't see big potential in his game.

Justin Che ('03): I've seen noticeable improvement in his game from earlier this season. This tends to happen of good players in the younger of the two U-17 years. The U-17 level is the first level where you can't always out-talent other players. Che has shown improvements in how he reads the game from the CB position. He has good mobility, but he's not making as many errors. He doesn't need to use it as much. I wasn't too impressed in his passing, but there is a good base of mobility and defensive play here. In what looks like another weak CB year, I think Che might edge it for the best CB prospect in the year.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I saw a game of some of the better San Jose prospects.

Cade Cowell ('03): There's a good set of tools here, but he does lack the top-end ability, IMO. I had read that he was a very speedy and athletic winger. I think thats true, but his speed is not electric. He's not quite a Pulisic type of athlete or a Zyen Jones type of athlete. There is pretty good speed here, and he appears to have a very powerful dribbling stride, although he lacks the top gear. He's fast and will run away from players, but not so fast that he'll run away from every player. I think he has excellent balance in his dribbling. He can turn directions very quickly and without losing much speed, similar to Pulisic in that regard. He likes to start inside, and then turn inside to continue his dribbling.

With the dribbling comes a lack of natural creativity and poor end-product. He can beat defenders with step-overs or with pure speed, but he doesn't do anything that would fool a defender. He also runs out of ideas once he gets near the goal. He runs himself into walls, he doesn't release the ball at the right time, it almost appears like he dribbles towards goal with no plan of where the ball should go next. He does have good combination play, a good first touch and is average or better passer. There are some tools here that should get him to the MLS game. Is there enough ability to influence goals to make him an eventual NT player? I don't see it yet, but he's still a young player.

Casey Walls ('03): I had said last week that Che might be the best '03 CB in the DA. I am going to change my mind. I think Walls is a level or two better than any '03 CB in the DA, IMO. He looked like the better pro prospect between himself and Cowell. I had seen Walls play before, and didn't see much potential, so I was surprised at what I saw in this game.

Walls was a commanding presence at CB. He has an advanced read of the game, he's good in the air, and was excellent in the build up. He had ideas in the build up that you don't see too often from players of any level. He has good height for a 15 year old (around 6'2), so I did worry about his mobility, but it seemed to be at a reasonable level. He was at fault for both goals, but you expect errors from kid at the DA level. He's not ready to step into MLS, but there is very good potential here.

Israel Carrillo ('03): The CB partner for Walls. Carrillo is also good. He's not the level of prospect of Walls, but somewhere in the second tier. He's smaller and more mobile than Walls, but also good on the ball. He's not as good on the ball as Walls, but that isn't a slight towards him. He reads the game well defensively, as well. The worry here might be his size. Is he going to be tall enough to play CB? He looked to only be about 5'9. He has time to grow, but he might end up under-sized for the position. He could still carve out a role as a defensive midfielder, although his game is more of a CB game.

Tarun Karumanchi ('03): I believe all three of the players above have gotten YNT call ups, so I was watching their play specifically. Karumanchi does not have any YNT call ups, but I liked his potential. He's a big holding midfielder who gets around the pitch well enough. He doesn't change direction that well, but has a powerful running stride. He showcases some nice composure on the ball and has good passing. His decision-making on when to move the ball is inconsistent and he can improve defensively, but he does appear to have good potential as a holding midfielder with good size and passing.

6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    U-17 or U-19 game?

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    U-17.

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Thanks, that’s interesting to me. Was this game played recently? Because I heard the Quakes were playing guys up to the highest level they could handle meaning that Fuentes, Akanyinge and Cowell would be splitting time with U-19s, Reno 1868 and maybe on the Quake’s bench if players are out.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    About three months ago from the winter showcase. San Jose vs. Columbus. Listed under Andreas Engelmark on YouTube.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I’ve seen this guy play a couple of times. He takes up deeper positions in midfield than his brother and isn’t the pure offensive player that his brother is, but he’s very talented and also plays a flashy style. His footwork is about as good as you’ll see at youth level and he’s an excellent passer. It’ll be interesting to see how his game develops. He’s playing in the Atlanta U-14’s this season.

11. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Thank you, that makes sense to me. That was before Cowell signed his homegrown contract.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Hey, do not praise him too much because over time some people will start to tell rumors about the child.:ROFLMAO:

don Lamb and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Was sorta waiting to see what would happen this first weekend in which FCD had first team, USL team, and development academy games.

FCD U19s 2 Rapids 1
    [Goals by Gibran Rayo and Nathan Toledo for FCD. Baca for Rapids.]

No kids on pro contracts (USL or MLS) played in this U19 game. All of the kids you'd expect to play with the USL team were with that team.

I'm awaiting the result of the U17 team. That team has been ransacked recently as Pepi/Rodriguez have been signed to the USL team and others have moved up to the U19s. This was a game I was looked at as a potential end to their unbeaten streak...………………...

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It has come to pass. FCD U17s lost this weekend.
    They had games on both Saturday and Sunday against the Colorado teams.

FCD U17s 1 Colorado Rapids 0
    FCD U17s 1 Real Colorado 2

They lost the second of the back to back games. In fact, Nico Carrera (the CB on the USYNT radar) was sent off in the first game. They were lucky to win that. Then they had Michael Sosa sent off in the 2nd game. Real Colorado scored both goals after the sending off. [They also were missing Letayf this weekend on national team duty with Mexico. He may have been promoted to the U19s anyway]

With all of the signings/promotions to the U19s/USL/MLS squads, the U17s have gone from a hands down favorite for the U17 title to a probable also-ran.

And that's actually a good thing. Winning DA titles and games isn't the primary purpose. Still, I think FCD could put together an amazing U17 team right now with a youth national teamer at every position. Not meant to be. If I was them, I'd put it together for one last rodeo at the GenAd Cup next month.

Tom Collingsworth and STR1 repped this.
  15. Hiddy Ho

Hiddy Ho New Member

Dortmund
    Germany
    Feb 5, 2019
    On the Real Colorado loss, it was bound to happen with the roster they have been throwing out on the 17s. When you are starting an ‘04 in place of Letayf at the 6, your plan B needs re-evaluation. I am sure the remaining starters love that their season has been flushed in March. Players are always told they need to show 100% undying commitment to FCD but won’t be shown the reciprocal by the club this season. Role players, back ups and 14 year olds can’t cut it even vs competition in the relatively weak frontier division.

16. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Here is where FCD's biggest issue to going to be. I understand completely with what you are saying, but I also completely disagree with it.

You are coming from a place, in a sport that, in a culture that has always put team first. This is a new era and in the muti-billion dollar business that is player sales/purchases, this is how you develop assets. Is it at the expense of some kids that now might not have a chance to win a U17 DA championship - some of which might be the highlight of their soccer career? Sure it is, but this is the business of the sport and I for one welcome it.

On another note - Letayf was off at camp in Mexico. Why is it a big deal starting an 04 in his place? This is what clubs should have been doing for the past 10 years. Why not give the 04, who obviously is thought of very highly a chance to play in that role. Is it better for that 04 player and the club to get games at a speed he isn't accustomed to - or is playing the 02/03 that has college soccer at best as his ceiling a better alternative.

People have been banging on about not caring about results for years in the US - I guess we will see if those who have been complaining can really accept when a club moves in the direction FCD is moving.

In the end, if FCD has to give up competing for U17 and U19 titles to develop first team players or players they can sell for generous profits - they should do that.

All of that said - none of us know how they are going to handle GA Cup, Dallas Cup or DA playoffs. Maybe this is the reason they play so few kids up the first half of the year and have all the movement after winter break. They have already qualified for the playoffs in the U17 group and it would take a miracle for them not to qualify in the U19 group. Let's see how all this plays out.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I watched a couple of their GA Cup qualifiers. They had no offense. Good midfield and defense, but without Pepi, Sealy, Rodriguez, Redzic, they don't have much depth in attack. One thing I've noticed is that their team this year lacks depth beyond the starters. They have the best starting lineup in the country, but their back ups are not the usual caliber of FC Dallas academy back ups.

Will they send all their age eligible players to the playoffs? No team comes close to this. These are all YNT or YNT caliber players, including multiple star players.

Wilson
    Escribano-Che-Carrera-Gomez
    Letayf
    Rodriguez-Garcia
    Sealy-Pepi-Redzic

That might be the most talented two year group of players we've seen so far in the DA. The '98 and '99 Dallas, Atlanta '00 and '01, Seattle '01 and '02 and LAG '01 and '02 teams could give it a run for its money.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yeah, but this was always going to happen this season. Just an equilibration period.
    With the USL team starting, kids were going to be aggressively pushed up the system (from the U17/U19s to the USL team, from the U17s to the U19s, etc.)
    I mean, that's a good thing.

Sure, all of these promotions mean that the U17 team isn't as good. But that's fine. That means more opportunities for kids to move up the system. We talk a lot about results with the FCD U17s because the results are often so good. But in the grand scheme of things the FCD u17s don't exist to win games and trophies. It exists to develop players and promote them up the system. Its going to be a never ending conveyor belt of kids moving up to the USL, sold to Europe/Mexico, or signed ot the MLS team.

19. STANDFAST

STANDFAST Member

United States
    Jun 8, 2018

Bit harsh on the "role players, back ups and 14 year olds" statement but good point in general. At the beginning of the season, I am sure all the boys were committed to going undefeated (and winning GA Cup and playoffs) and thought FCD would provide a training environment and roster to do so.....because that is what FCD told them. Life lesson learned.

20. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I'm interested to hear you expand on this a bit more. Are you upset with FCD because of all the player movement, coaching movement?

Again, I completely understand where some may take issue with their new model. FCD look like they are the leaders in implementing a true development model that we have all been crying out for. There will undoubtedly be some bumps in the road and FCD will have to learn how to balance the development of those who they see as top prospects with the development and competitiveness of the rest of the players who make up the majority of their DA teams.

This was always going to be risky in our sporting culture. If FCD gets it right, then they do produce a conveyor belt of kids moving to the first team or getting transferred to Europe and Mexico. If they get it wrong, the players that aren't on that path move to one of the other DA clubs and form teams that can compete for DA Championships.

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what any player would be complaining about. I'd think most in a DA environment think they will be future pros. Setting up academies to give them the best shot at becoming one should be something they welcome even over not getting a title. I mean do kids really dream of getting youth titles or are they really happy about them but dream of being the next Messi?

22. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Check out @b_kleiban’s Tweet:

ChuckMe92, Luksarus and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I think some teams see winning Academy titles as a branding exercise. The idea being you have a better shot of attracting talent to want to play for you if they hear you are the best club. That is especially true for bringing In residency players from far away.

Other clubs are more interested in playing players up to the highest level they can handle, even if that weakens both the older and younger teams. Idea is, very few players will ever develop into pros so you pan for those gold nuggets and don’t worry too much about team results.

Winoman and Diceshooter repped this.
  24. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Agreed, but this is where I think the thought process still prevalent in our system is flawed. We will turn the corner as a soccer nation when clubs see "promoting players to the first team and Europe" as their branding exercise. If a club can show a proven track record of turning out pros at a much higher volume than other clubs - that should be the reason kids want to go there. Common sense tells us that the team is going to be very good and compete for trophies if the kids with the most potential all go to the same place.

The players have always made the team - and very rarely in this sport does the team make the players...although it could be argued that sometimes the style helps make the player.

Go look at any website for the youth clubs scattered about the internet and the first thing you will see is, xx time National Champion, xx time Regional Champion, xx time State Champion, xx time Dallas Cup Champion. What I would like to see instead, is xx players put into YNT's, xx players playing in MLS, xx players playing in Europe, xx players playing in College.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #675 Clint Eastwood, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    And there's no question that FCD has been one of those clubs that have really advertised their DA results and success. They also really advertise the number of homegrowns signed and academy products that have signed a pro contract.

Everything we've seen at FCD over the last several years has been a response to losing Weston McKennie on a free. Moving kids up the ladder aggressively (Pepi, Rodriguez, Sealy, Redzic and other kids), trying to sign them at increasingly younger ages, providing opportunities via the Bayern Munich partnership and the USL team. And I do think there's a lot of it that just comes down to ensuring that they're getting a monetary return on their investment. One of the posters said that there was a clause in Sealy's contract of some type that ensures FCD won't stand in the way of a move to Europe. OK. That's great actually. It won't surprise me to find out that Chris Richards had a similar type of clause

And yes all of that means that perhaps results at the U17 level might not be that great as eligible kids like Pepi, Rodriguez, Sealy, Redzic, Letayf are with the older groups. But that's fine. So what? Maybe there are some parents still in "Capri-Suns and orange slides" mode that are unhappy their little Johnny doesn't have as good of a chance to win a major trophy. I don't know.................

I also don't have a problem with FCD demanding some type of loyalty from their kids. If they're going to provide opportunities to youngsters, and they're going to invest in them..................then they should expect "first crack" at signing them. If a kid isn't OK with that, then he can go player for Solar or the Texans. They can do what Blaine Ferri did. That's fine too.