2018-19 Development Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...aign=20600&hashid=KKzyfLDjtlWkffH1g6Ao4aF3IlM

The latest on the whole MLS - DA saga. I don’t know how, but the structure of the DA is about to change. I just hope that they don’t come up with some lame, generic approach. You have to be a flexible thinker to solve problems without obvious, immediate answers - this is something that I don’t have a lot of confidence that the DA is equipped to handle.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    FCD U15s in the semifinals of the Tahuichi tournament in Bolivia. The other semifinalists are Santani (top division club from Paraguay), Brazilians Guarani, and Tahuichi.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, FCD appears to be efforting to partner with Tahuichi. I do believe they're bringing a couple of Tahuichi players to their North Texas squad. At least that's the scuttlebutt.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They used to be all the rage but have they produced and stars in the last 10 years? The Bolivian national team seems to be on a lull.

5. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018
    with FIFA Rule 19 won't any players that come to Frisco have to be at least 18? Maybe add some kids to the U19s and possibly NTX FC but can't really add any to the younger ages it wouldn't seem.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yes. What I had seen in the twittersphere (don't know anything about this myself) were rumors that a couple of 18-20 year olds were coming to trial for FCD/North Texas. [And yes, 18-19 year olds could play for the U19DA as well. We had foreign kids like Damus, Paga, etc. with them last season.]

For instance, there was this rumor from December. The column here didn't seem to know what the kid would be coming over for exactly.. North Texas makes sense as the FCD midfield is crowded (even more so after the Acosta signing).
    https://www.bigdsoccer.com/fc-dalla...01/report-bolivian-midfielder-fc-dallas-trial

If a partnership between Tahuichi and FCD comes to fruition it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

FCD is to Bayern Munich as Tahuichi is to FCD?

We'll see what happens in this space.

7. analytics.soccer

analytics.soccer New Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Jan 10, 2019

Here's predicts vs actuals for this last weekend plus notes.

U13
    This week was tough for u13 predicts. Will take a look at the algorithm for the u13’s…

Predict: Strikers 4 vs Chula Vista 1 (could be 5-0)
    Actual: Strikers 9 vs Chula Vista 0

Note:

Per the game report, ouch. Dominant performance by Strikers and they didn’t take their foot off the gas with 4 goals in 1st half, and 5 goals in 2nd half.

One of the Strikers' players - who is now averaging 1.25 goals per game - had four goals for the match, including two in the first ten minutes.

Predict: Palm Beach 1 v Chargers 1 (could be 0-2)
    Actual: Palm Beach 1 v Chargers 7

Note:
    Per the game report, ouch, again. (see note above about looking at u13 algorithm given the results)

U14
    Predict: Palm Beach 3 v Chargers 0
    Actual: Palm Beach 0 v Chargers 0

U15
    Prediction: Strikers 1 vs San Diego Surf 2
    Actual: Strikers 1 vs San Diego Surf 1

Note:
    Per the game report, Strikers played two 2005 players for 11% of the available minutes, and one of these 05's - Steven Ramirez - scored the tying goal at the 68th minute. SD Surf did not play any 2005 players.

For those outside of SoCal, there’s some chatter around certain SoCal clubs not playing players up – when these players who are very capable of playing up and it’s probably in the best interest of these players’ development - in favor of boosting wins, national rankings and club brand.

LAFC is a good example of this across their age groups, and SD Surf has some instances of this as well with some 05 players.

It’s an interesting item to note, given that the MLS is making noise about leaving DA, presumably due to, among other items, lack of competition.

U16/17
    Predict: Strikers 1 vs San Diego Surf 2*
    Actual: Strikers 2 vs San Diego Surf 1

Note:
    Per the game report, the u16/17 match was tied 1-1 until the 90th minute when Omar Sabbagh (subbed in for the Strikers at the half) scored the go-ahead goal near end of time.

The Strikers played 03s for 18% of the total available minutes while SD Surf played 03s for 40% of the available minutes.

U18/19
    Predict: Strikers 2 vs San Diego Surf 2*
    Actual: Strikers 2 vs San Diego Surf 4

Note:
    Per the game report, the u18/19 match was tied 2-2 until the 84th minute when Rene Cortez (subbed in for SD Surf at the 61st minute) scored the first of two of his late goals for the Surf.

*The older Surf teams haven’t played a lot of group games, so not a lot of data to work with. Predicts should be better/more accurate after first weekend of Feb.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  8. analytics.soccer

Chelsea
    United States
    Jan 10, 2019
    question for the group: what's the difference between Houston Dynamo DA and Houston Dynamo Youth DA? it look HDY is an affiliate arrangement btw HD and Dash. Is there a more formal distinction that reflects older players playing for HD DA and younger players in same year playign for HDY DA?

9. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Houston Dynamo Youth is essentially a separate club from Dynamo. It is located north of the city, while Dynamo proper is south of the city. Yes, it falls under the Dynamo umbrella, but different training facilities and different teams. Dynamo Youth used to be Texas Rush until Dynamo created an affiliation.

Please do not take this the wrong way - as I know who you are from the SoCal forum. I realize what you do has some passion behind it and it is neat to see how the algorithms compare to the actual - you have done some really cool things with your data. That said, this thread is not the place for these predictions. I believe it will flood what is otherwise a great discussion on the general state of the DA.

You certainly don't have to listen to me, but I think you should create a separate thread to hold your predictions and data, so you can see how often they are viewed and what kind of response you get.

10. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  11. analytics.soccer

Chelsea
    United States
    Jan 10, 2019
    Thx for the feedback on HDY. Tough to decipher these things from a distance. On the other feedback, get it and will try to minimize the footprint. Ultimately, though, everybody can always scroll down.

12. analytics.soccer

Chelsea
    United States
    Jan 10, 2019
    For this weekend in DA, below are result/score predicts. The goal of these posts is to foster interesting discussion ahead of and after games, and publicly test out an algorithm to forecast relative performance.

If it works, it could also be used to evaluate team progress over a season, player specific contributions results and a slew of other items. If you have comments or insights into results or anything, the more the better from my pov.

As an fyi, in future posts, will take a hard look at what can be done to reduce the footprint of this post (eg, posting a file etc)

As a 2nd fyi, typically, it takes about 8-10 games to get an accurate view into how a team plays (allowing for typical sub patterns, how teams typically play with a lead, how teams typically play against strong teams etc) and many of these teams have only six or so games of data.

Will not include u14 socal and norcal games this week since US Soccer is hosting the u14 western national team camp/try-out this weekend and many quality socal and norcal u14 players won't be available to their u14 teams.

I did post predicts (w/ lots of caveat in a socalsoccer forum under the screen name "Kante". Will include links to those posts at the end of this note.

SO having said all that, here are predicts are for the teams playing this weekend which include TX, SoCal and Norcal.

Texas u13:
    Dallas Texans 1 v Lonestar 4
    San Antonio 1 v Houston Dynamo 2

Texas u14:
    Dallas Texans 4 v Lonestar 2
    San Antonio 1 v Houston Dynamo 2

Texas/Frontier u15:
    Dallas Texans 2 v Lonestar 3
    San Antonio v Houston Dynamo 1

Texas/Frontier u16/17: Dallas Texans 1 v Lonestar 4

Texas/Frontier u18/19: Dallas Texans 1 v Lonestar 2
    Real SoCal 1 v LA Premier 5
    Total Futbol Academy (TFA) 5 v LA United Futbol Academy (LAUFA) 0

San Diego u13:
    Arsenal 3 v Chula Vista 2
    Nomads 0 v Strikers 7
    San Diego SC 2 v LA Galaxy San Diego 2 (LAGSD is an affiliate of LAG, HDY)
    SD Surf 3 v Albion 0

Here's the link to the u14 SoCal predicts:

http://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/2005-da-standings.4366/page-12

Just scroll down and you'll see the predicts.

Again, the caveat is that u14 Socal boys' teams have many of their best players at the US western regional camp this weekend rather than playing, and that will skew outcomes.

Peretz48 and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  13. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The first of three regional camps for the 14s is being held 1/17-1/21 at Dignity Health Sports Park (formerly Stub Hub).

FWIW, here are the rosters:

Northwest Select Roster by Position (Club) GOALKEEPERS (2): Levi Bieber (Washington Premier FC), Wyatt Nelson (Seattle United) DEFENDERS (6): Javier Blas (Portland Timbers), Braden Ferreira (Pac-Northwest), Dan Jackson (FC Hawaii – iD2), Jaggar Judkins (Washington Premier FC), Luke Yanello (Portland Timbers), Diego Pena Salgado (Seattle United) MIDFIELDERS (6): Miguel Arellano (Utah Soccer Alliance), Reed Baker-Whiting (Seattle Sounders FC), Yojany Espiritu (Portland Timbers), Henri Kim Godbout (Crossfire Premier), Alex Hall (Pac-Northwest), Farhan Moustafa (Washington Premier FC) FORWARDS (6): Clemente Esquivel (Pac-Northwest), Josh Hardin (Seattle Sounders FC), Antonio Herrera (Seattle Sounders FC), Derek Johnson (Pac-Northwest), Michael Luande (Washington Premier FC), Trevor Walk (Utah Soccer Alliance) Coaches: Bill Irwin (YNT Network Scout- Portland), Brayton Knapp (Seattle Sounders FC)

North Cal Select Roster by Position (Club) GOALKEEPERS (2): Jacob Rivera Gomez (Players North Soccer Club), Emmanuel Ochoa (Breakers FC) DEFENDERS (6): Angel Arriaga (Santa Rosa United), Ezekiel Cruz (Sacramento Republic FC), Kevin Hwong (San Jose Earthquakes), Ethan Kohler (San Jose Earthquakes), Nathan Rodrigues (San Jose Earthquakes), Fernando Varelas (Stockton TLJ) MIDFIELDERS (7): Alex Chow (San Jose Earthquakes), Nathan Cochenour (Sacramento Republic FC), Dwayne Eqing (San Joaquin Valley Soccer Academy), Luis Angel Flores (Ceres Earthquakes FC), Lucas Liu (Sacramento Republic FC), Martin Kwende (San Jose Earthquakes), Randol Vila (San Jose Earthquakes) FORWARDS (5): Sebastian Carbajal (Napa United 1839 Academy), Jose Cortez (San Jose Earthquakes), Elvin Maldonado (Silicon Valley Soccer Academy), Alex Salazar (San Jose Earthquakes), Dylan Tellado (San Jose Earthquakes) Coaches: Luciano Fusco (San Jose Earthquakes), Deejae Johnson (YNT Network Scout- Northern Calif.)

LA Select Roster by Position (Club) GOALKEEPERS (2): Marcos Herrera (LAFC), Noah Livingston (LAFC) DEFENDERS (6): Hgeiler Alvarez (Total Futbol Academy), Tyler Bindon (LAFC), Andy Garcia (Pateadores), Jonathan Moreno (LA Galaxy), Diego Rosales (LAFC), Demitrious Tanks (LA Galaxy), MIDFIELDERS (7): Diego Ceja (LAFC), Francis Jacobs (Irvine Strikers), Bryan Moyado (LAFC), Alexander Salas (LAFC), Brandon Tellez (LA Galaxy), David Vasquez (Total Futbol Academy), Marcus Vasquez (Santa Barbra SC) FORWARDS (5): Edu Beltran (LAFC), Miguel Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Steven Ramirez (Irvine Strikers), Jonathan Ruvalcaba (LA Galaxy), Alixson Soukup (LAFC) Coaches: Shawn Beyer (YNT Network Scout- Southern Calif.), Josh Hill (YNT Network Scout- Southern Calif.)

Southwest Select Roster by Position (Club) GOALKEEPERS (2): Ramses Martinez (San Diego Surf), Osvaldo Rodriguez (Real Salt Lake AZ) DEFENDERDS (7): Haroun Conteh (Phoenix Rising), Alex Lopez (San Diego Surf), Alexander Lopez (Phoenix Rising), Bryan Moreno (LAFC), Angel Robles (Real Salt Lake AZ), Jarrod Smith (Arsenal Arizona), Ethan Zamora (San Diego Surf) MIDFIELDERS (7): Julio Benitez (Real Salt Lake AZ), Isaac Calderon (Las Vegas Soccer Academy), Massimo Erfani (San Diego Surf), Xavi Gnaulati (San Diego Surf), Yahir Gonzalez (Real Salt Lake AZ), Diego Lopez ((San Diego Surf), Brooklyn Raines (Barca Academy) FORWARDS (4): Luke Burns (Phoenix Rising), Dominic Kallay (Real Salt Lake AZ), Miles Mukherjea-Gehrig (San Diego Surf), Terron Williams (San Diego Surf) Coaches: Mike Kraus (Real Salt Lake), Miroslav Pejkic (YNT Network Scout- Southern Calif.)

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...led-in-for-ynt-u14-tid-west-regional-minicamp

15. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
    This U14 National ID program looks a lot like the old U14 National ID camp along with the regional ODP camps. Glad USSF is investing the time and $$$ to do this.

don Lamb and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  16. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I also like that most teams have an MLS DA coach. The more these kids and coaches know each other the more opportunities the kids will have opportunities.

don Lamb, STR1 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I listened to the @zlebmada interview with Kleiban. He came off as an intelligent guy. I liked what I heard from him.

Three things I found interesting.

He mentioned how Hackworth came to him a year ago and said they needed some players because they were struggling for talent in the U-17 age group. It seems like the U-17 coaching staff weren't naive to the lack of quality they were putting out there.

I also liked what I heard from him that he'd want to coach the U-17 or U-20 NT. Not all coaches would say that.

The thing I didn't like was his opinion on Araujo. He said that they view him as a RB. I think Kleiban didn't properly asses his game. Araujo hasn't been at his team for long, but how could he fail to mention how well Araujo's passing plays in the center of the field compared to the side? I agree with him about Araujo's athleticism and competitiveness, but why would that make him a better RB? He mentions Araujo struggles with end-product at RB, but I think thats due to him not having RB skills. His skill-set seems suited a lot more for the middle of the field, IMO. I think he'd also be much better as a CM than RB. If the Galaxy are going to try to use him as a RB (thats what Kleiban said), I think Araujo needs to leave for Europe when he turns 18, otherwise he won't maximize his potential.

18. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don’t think he’s going to be big enough to be a CB. I know his listed height online isn’t always accurate, but from what Ive seen, he’s consistently among the smaller players on the back line.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He looks like he might be 5'10 now and he's still not 18. Even if he isn't tall enough to play CB, I think he'd play a lot better as a CM.

20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
  21. analytics.soccer

Chelsea
    United States
    Jan 10, 2019
    From the sound of it, playing 6 seems like the right fit. but haven't seen him play. Who would he be fighting for pt with at the 6 for LAG and USA?

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn’t use the US Soccer website for heights. They rarely update it.

I think it’s going to be close. The kid is 5’9 or taller. Usually at 5’11, rarely is a player considered too short for CB, and Araujo is a strong kid with very good athleticism and leaping. I think if he gets to 5’10, which he might be at, it doesn’t make sense to move him off CB.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    At LAG, no one. They have Cervantes, but he’s not much of a pro prospect. With the USA in his normal age group, Booth, but they play different styles, so you could pair them together.

I also think he could play as a #8. He’s athletic and covers a lot of ground, very incisive passer and he’s good at carrying the ball out of the back as a defender, which might be useful as a CM. It might also be a better fit for him than as a #6 because he’s an aggressive player. He might not be able to sit in front of the back four and clean up errors.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  24. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d love to see him at least get a run as a 6 or 8 to see how he does. Especially because he hasn’t exactly stood out as an RB.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.