2018-19 Bundesliga Matchday 9: Borussia Dortmund vs Hertha BSC

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by BVBFNM, Oct 26, 2018.

1. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I was thinking the same. I regard Philipp after Reus and Alcacer as the most natural finisher in the team. Bruun Larsen wasn't needed at that moment. I think even Wolf or maybe Weigl for Dahoud would have made more sense for the situation when defensive stability and maturity were more needed factors.

Either way, in another thread there was the talk about statistical anomalies and how it will go back to normal levels. The team so far was very efficient, the subs and second half performaces killed it. Today, we missed shots free in front of the goal.

Scheherazade and dips82 repped this.
  2. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Hakimi was not good in this game. He got turned several times and a better-finishing opponent could have made a couple goals from it. Guerreiro was too far up the aggression+risk/ability curve with his passes in the midfield. Dahoud too. I was going to say that his aggression paid off on the goal he started, except it didn't start on a risky midfield pass. It started on a very safe midfield pass, that also happened to be very aggressive and well done.

This game was coming, in the sense that things didn't fall BVB's way even though they solidly controlled the game. If I watched the game, minus the actual finishing strikes and VAR, I'd probably assume a 4-2 win. And the game was fun to watch, despite the ultimate result.

3. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Points dropped at home.

Hertha has been a good club domestically since the arrival of Dardai, but they are an embarrassment in European competitions, being knocked out by Brøndby two seasons ago and even worse, finishing dead last in a Europa League group with Östersund and Zorya Luhansk last season. They really need to step up in Europe.

4. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Apoel Nicosia comes to mind for BVB. Sometimes you just can't find your form.

5. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I would say that had more to do with Bosz simply being ill-suited to the Champions League. Still, it was a forgettable season for us and Hertha have already flopped two seasons in a row in Europe.

6. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I thought more about the game and I have seen highlights.

All things considered it's not the worst result: missing our best defender, missing the first choice left back, missing our only striker and after a tough international break.

Three of the biggest culprits for the loss today: Zagadou, Hakimi and Dahoud showed their incredible potential, but are still not experienced. You can't buy experience, they are going to need games.

The next 4 games are vital to our season. I sadly don't see any opportunity to rest players after the Union Game either. We need to win all of them apart from the Atletico. Do that and it's been a start to the season beyond our wildest dreams.

The youngsters will get better with experience as the season goes on too.

Scheherazade, BVBFNM and dips82 repped this.
  7. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    im not terribly upset about this match, i know the guys had a full effort mid week..

I still think it wouldnt be terrible to go out and get a striker in the winter trasnfer. we need an extra one.

8. Scheherazade

Scheherazade Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Sad to say I see why Dahoud does not start over Delaney although he did well as a substitute in the Atletico game. Too many turnovers. Lost control of the second half. He is gungho and wants to attack and force his way, even when he should play a safer pass and calm the game down.

9. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This loss was down to inexperience. Dahoud's pass that led to the goal was poor. DAZ should have hauled down his man outside the box.not inside. A vily veteran like Sergio Ramos or Alessandro Nesta would have done precisely that. We had a teenager go up against Kalou who has been playing for as long as DAZ has been on this planet.

Finishing up front was also very poor. I don't care how intelligent Gotze and Reus are or how good their chemistry is. They can't play two different roles simultaneously in every match. The opposition will figure them out.

Why can't anybody figure out how to get Alex Isak to develop into a first team player?

Against Union I'd throw in Toprak, Shinji, Phillip and Wolf. If by half time we aren't leading, some of these need to be sold by December.

10. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    It's a draw, not a loss.

11. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Yes.. but what if that creates more goals than it gives away??

I would guess he's doing just that and playing for the second/youth team.. no?

This draw, to me, was down to missed chances. One by Gurreiro and I think one by Hakimi.. That is fine.. I think that these chances will go in, as we go further in the season.

I love the way we're playing and the freedom given to players to attack. Just compare the number of forward passes to last season! So I don't mind the points dropped, as I hope/think that these young players will somehow mature faster than we expect with more played games..

Also when Alcacer returns, and if Gotze keeps improving or Kagawa returns (I think he'll play better with the current team because they move more than last season) then Reus may move back to be a winger, and we can play Guerreiro as LB and Hakimi as RB! That would be a nice lineup!

12. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I think the performance was to gungho and Hakimi, Raphael and Dahoud forgot about being balanced and their defensive responsibilities. They also didn't take enough care with the ball, but some of the football was beautiful to watch.

We do need a left back, but I am not convinced by Raphael. He wasn't tracking back well enough on Saturday when playing on the wing, let alone full back, but there's time until January.

Reus is only being outperformed this season by Messi, Hazard, Neymar and Ronaldo. I tend to watch the big teams a lot and for me only these four attacking players are doing better. He is playing so well as a 10 it would be a shame to move from him there. At the same time, Gotze is really improving and is playing better than Larsen, Philipp and Pulisic. I would like to Gotze in the team, but it's a gamble breaking Reus' rhythm.

13. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Yes, I agree with that! It would need to be gradual. Like maybe try it at the end of a game where we are comfortably ahead, and go from there. Or... Try Gotze on the wing :)

Guerreiro is adding a lot to our offense. But he once was a good LB, so think it's possible for him to repeat that. But I agree that right now, he's better than Pulisic, Larsen or Wolf, as a winger. (Phillip didn't play much as a winger this season.. and I too wanted him to come on for Guerreiro this game, when the latter was getting tired.) So I don't mind keeping the current setup either.

14. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Agree but my only concern is that Reus is playing way too many games. We need to give him a break in the next few games and Gotze's form as of late should allow that to happen as he can slide into Reus' position and play with Alcacer/Philip up top.

15. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    We might have to adjust how we see Reus. I always saw him as a winger but a few weeks/months back, Gladbach's Eberl argued that the position behind the striker is Reus' best position. He obviously talked about his own experience with Reus at Gladbach. So it shouldn't be a surprise that Favre put Reus in this position again. This isn't an accident or something Favre came up with this season.

Götze as the false 9 wasn't that bad the last games as well when Alcacer isn't available. Both fit Favre's gameplan of technically good strikers that play with the players around them and who free up space. The one thing Götze has to improve though is giving his teammates more time to get into a better position if he himself receives the ball with the back to the goal. Too often he just plays the ball directly back.

16. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This makes no sense at all. Guerreiro wasn't tasked to track back. That's what Witsel was supposed to do ie help out Hakimi.

You need to see Luis Suarez, Mbappe, Neymar play. Even Sterling and Suso are on par. IMO, I wish we had Suso as our second striker in the squad. All of these have performed regularly and are better than Reus.....even statistically.

17. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah we need Gurreiro and Hakimi as our permanent FBs asap. They are intelligent enough to know when to attack and when to stay back. I'd be fine with Schmelzer leaving. The sooner the better. LP will be gone in another two years.