2018-19 Bundesliga Matchday 21: Borussia Dortmund vs TSG 1899 Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by BVBFNM, Feb 8, 2019.

1. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    This match is going to be a lot tougher than previously thought due to a number of reasons, Reus is out, Favre won't be available to direct our players due to bronchitis and the fact that we had to play an extra thirty minutes on Tuesday whereas Hoffenheim had a full week's rest, our one silver lining being home advantage, though it really didn't matter against Bremen.

A personal thought on Nagelsmann: my opinion of him has cooled down considerably after making it clear he doesn't care about important details like defending and being pragmatic.

2. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    A huge game now. Reus is confirmed out and Delaney is suspended. We really need to find a way to win. Reus is also unlikely to play against Tottenham. A win tomorrow would give the team confidence for Tottenham.

BVBFNM and MtnGardener repped this.
  3. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Bürki
    LP Weigl Diallo Hakimi
    Witsel Dahoud
    Sancho Philipp Guerreiro
    Götze

We start with 4 players that played the full 120 minutes during the week, 2 played for 90 mins.
    At least the two first choice GKs are back. Will be interesting to see whether Philipp behind the striker will work out against a tough opponent. I think Götze and potentially Guerreiro because of his technique would be better in that position.

4. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    1:0 Sancho. He made a nice run almost from the left to the right in a combination with LP to score from a tough angle. I was just about to comment that he generally looked better today.

5. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Götze 2:0. Sancho is having fun on both sides of the wings.

6. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    2:0 at halftime. We mostly kept Hoffenheim under control. But they repeat their long high balls over our defense which can be dangerous especially in transition. Sancho turned it up after 25 minutes and just dominated Hoffenheim's players.
    I hope we play that well in the second half as well. I didn't see Hoffenheim's match against Bayern but it sounded like they really took it to them and could have gotten a result. I'd give Alcacer at least 30 minutes, hopefully when we still have the two goal lead to finish them off.

Berchtesgaden repped this.
  7. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    JN is an excellent coach. I hope he hasn't figured out that attacking us on the wings could destabilize us. That said having LP, Weigl and Hakimi along with Witsel and Dahoud makes us look quite solid in our half.

8. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    At my daughters Futsal match - so missing the game - did we have a goal overturned by VAR? Correct decision?

9. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Yes, an early goal was overturned. Götze was offside and in the way of the defender who tried to clear the ball. The clearance hit Sancho which got deflected into the goal. Probably correct decision.

Berchtesgaden repped this.
  10. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  11. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    3:0 Guerreiro. Hoffenheim were more dangerous, Bürki had two nice saves, but we score.
    I'd be in favor of resting some of the players soon because of the CL game.

12. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    OMG the assistant coaches are absolutely clueless. Toprak came in and made their offense better.

13. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    3-0

to 3-3 FT

14. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    fuken pathetic, when will ppl learn that this team cant hold on to a lead for their life, just stick to original plan instead of burying themselves in defence

15. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know who is worse. Toprak or Diallo. The latter came back from injury a completely different player. These two idiots completely undid all of the work the rest of the squad did the first 75min. If Burki whacks them upside the head it'd be well deserved.

16. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    3:3 after a 3:0 lead with chances for the fourth feels like a loss, two goals conceded after simple dead balls. Almost as bad as the 4:4 against Schalke. And it didn't even come as a surprise. Bürki had several great saves and Hoffenheim were going for goals the whole half. The team looked like it lacked a leader. I hope that doesn't effect the confidence too much. Favre wasn't on the sidelines but still in contact with the other coaches and probably still responsible for the subs.
    A win would have been huge, now Bayern can reduce the gap. If you want to win the title, you just cannot piss away leads like this.

17. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    This was terrible. We got lucky last week to not lose any ground and this week we get a bad loss for Mgb. Maybe we get lucky again Bayern lose but we cant keep counting on that. This feels like a loss.

18. Jiri Havran

Jiri Havran Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Oslo
    Club:
    Shanxi Baorong
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Hakimi is not the best defender. He was extremely pasiv at #2, and could have done better at #3. He also loses the ball often on our own half.
    Substitutions, as usual, too late. Paco should have 30 min, and Wolf? What was that for?
    Disappointing, but fair result

19. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Watching the highlights and I'm seeing how incredibly bad Diallo and Toprak were. It's their job to man the defensive line and they were mute and clueless.

20. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Why wasn't DAZ playing? He was on the bench for the cup game so he should've gotten some time today!

21. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    FAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!

We can't afford to be this naive defensively. Diallo has had two poor games in a row. Can we offer Toprak to PSG this summer? After all he's Tuchel's dream signing.

If we win the Bundesliga this season then Bayern not being as good will have played a major part into it, which would lessen the achievement of winning the league. Snatching the Meisterschalle from a Bayern side at the height of their power and firing on all cylinders, now that would be a true achievement.

22. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I don't see it as that negative regarding our own achievement. No one is going to come close to winning the league when Bayern has 90+ points seasons. So yes, in that regard we need Bayern to be human. These kind of seasons aren't and shouldn't be normal. But we shouldn't feel bad or ashamed about it should we win it. We should feel just as good about winning it as in 2011 or 2012. We'll probably need an 80 points season which is a great season in terms of the BL history. Besides Bayern, only we achieved that once in 2012. A repeat of the first half with 42 points would almost guarantee the title. But tonight's draw has certainly reduced the margin for errors.

23. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I am starting to see the signs that may well precipitate a quick downward spiral in the table... Not enough rotation due to lack of depth in some key position and some players do not seem to have the coaches trust... Main players look tired, defense is as inepth as usual and was save so many time by Witsel and Delaney who are now tired in the first half of the season. It may be hard to finish BL strong and on top. Being out of the Pokal may be a blessing in disguise for our chances for first place.

24. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I agree that the comeback wasn't shocking, since the run of play was all one way for the final 30 minutes. It mostly, to my eyes, actually came down to loose passing on the early part of the attack. In the first half the passes were working, in the second half, tired legs started to show. Diallo and Hakimi kept losing the ball cheaply, not being greedy, just misfiring on short passes trying to get out of our half. That is what allowed the pressure to be continuous. I think this just comes down to tired legs and minds. Without DAZ and Akanji (particularly) we wouldn't have done as well in the first half of the season. so we can't expect to do as well without them. I didn't see any need for adding a striker, I saw a need for a replacement for Toprak and Schmelzer, and for Balerdi to not have gotten injured. We needed fresh young legs on D in the second half, but there were none on the bench.

25. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Like I posted earlier, offer Toprak to PSG this summer. He's Tuchel's dream signing.

kbvb repped this.