2018-19 Bundesliga Matchday 2: Hannover 96 vs Borussia Dortmund

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by BVBFNM, Aug 30, 2018.

1. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    H96 drew 1-1 with Werder Bremen in the opening Matchday. All I ask for is 3 points and a clean sheet, please.

2. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
  3. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Let’s get this done

BVB: Bürki, Diallo, Delaney, Reus, Akanji, Dahoud, Philipp, Piszczek, Wolf, Witsel, Schmelzer

Unsere Bank: Hitz, Hakimi, Sancho, Götze, Guerreiro, Weigl, Toprak

4. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    A slightly more defensive formation than I would have liked, but we have lots of attacking options.

5. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    looking for a good game and curious as to how we stack up with this lineup. We are an away goal -1 favorite.. Usually home team gets half a goal right? so we are prett big favorites right?

6. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Time for Wolf to prove himself. I liked what I saw from him in Frankfurt but he had a bad pre-season. He's a different type than Pulisic/Sancho and we need that diversity. In the last game, he was at least good at helping out in defense which is something the other wingers tended to neglect in that game.

7. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Im a little surprised that Sancho did not get the nod with Pulisic out..

8. Quigs

Quigs Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Dour stuff from Dortmund so far

9. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    I would not say that. I would say that we are just sticking to the defensive side of things with pulisic out.. perhaps a lineup we will see when we play bayern or a high scoring team.

not sure why we are rolling this unit out against Hannover but I would like to see Sancho and some more attacking style of players. Could be a low scoring affair today with a late stunner winning this one.

10. Quigs

Quigs Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Awful game so far from 2 workmanlike sides with no footballers . No pace no class , wrong game for Delaney and Witsel , it’s Hannover not Barca

11. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Great chance for Reus, sadly not converted.
    And then he hits the post...bad luck.

12. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Reus could have had two, but he should have squared the first chance.

It's been a hard working performance. I would prefer a bit more technique. I think the full backs are clearly letting us down. Also Delaney could he dropped for Gotze or more conservatively Weigl.

Diallo and Akanji have been very good.

13. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    0:0 halftime.
    Again, very bad first 20-25 minutes for us until we got more control. Maybe Hannover couldn't keep up their initial pressure. We should have scored one but Hannover is dangerous with their pace.
    I thought Wolf had a decent first start for us. Only a few good scenes in offense but very aggressive against the ball. It is what we need instead of deserting the FBs.

14. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    kind of a lethargic game. Certainly not a game that would make American that was a casual fan stand up and take notice. Soccer, when its boring and nothing more than a "pitchers duel" isnt the most fun game to watch for most americans. I can appreciate a defensive affair more than most.

15. Quigs

Quigs Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    79 th minute before a substitution . 11 men in the Dortmund half far too often . No attempt to control and win the game . Even if we win , unacceptable , this is not BVB

16. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    disappointment... perhaps not having pulisic means more to this team than some on here want to admit.. he creates.. he moves the ball and he links up well typically..

17. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Not a good game at all. And we almost blew it towards the end. We have to be thankful the ball fell to Wood who could not do anything with it.

Maybe we don't have the players that are best suited for a 4-3-3 or maybe I'm just not used to it. But I'd love to see more creativity in our offense.

18. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    game went as expected, its like they didnt even want to win.

ps whats the point of selling off castro if we replace him with castro v2. 3 games in and im certain we just dumped 25 mil down the drain. praise lord aki

19. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Can we stop with the Pulisic worship. The way some people talk you would think he was Messi come again.

This was a very disappointing result, but far more worrying was the mentality. Favre was happy with a draw and at no point was prepared to risk anything for a win. That mentality is fine if you are managin Gladbach or Nice, but it's not OK for the Dortmund manager. He should have made the substitutions to try and win the game.

The lineup was far too defensive and remained so for far too long. Wolf gives nothing to the attack and is just there to protect our terrible full backs.

Schmelzer and LP can't keep starting. They were the worse two players on the pitch. Against an average team like Hannover, you can't keep Delaney on for that long. Gotze had to be given a chance. Wolf needed to come off.

That's 2 points dropped and the attitude was more that it was a point game.

Reus also deserves criticism for not passing to Philipp. He passes and Philipp scores a tap in.

20. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Sorry the blame goes to Favre for this. Delaney was terribly overpriced, but there was no need to play him let alone keep him on for 90. Weigl and Gotze were on the bench. He could even have moved Reus into the middle and brought Sancho on earlier. Favre went up against Hannover like he was playing Barcelona.

21. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I wouldn't read too much into one game where he didn't play. Yes, he can create dangerous situations with his dribbles but too often his balls into the penalty box are not accurate or thought through. And although it was better, I don't think we created that much from open play against Leipzig. Dahoud's header was nice but the next two goals were from set pieces.

22. Quigs

Quigs Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Shocking , early in season but Favre played so negatively . He’s never managed a team that tried to control a game and win , always on the break . and way he plays cannot win a title , cup yes . Dreadful to watch ,when all teams in Buli except Bayern we should try to control the game . hopefully will improve a lot , needs to

eaglespark repped this.
  23. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Yes exactly. This was a very poor result. Hopefully this is a quick and harsh lesson to Favre. A draw like this is not for a team like Dortmund.

24. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    That's what you get when you hire a coach who's never challenged for league titles.

25. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    That's not fair. Managers/coaches step up all the time and realise they have to play to win. Klopp did, Sarri, etc.

Someone needs to make the team and coaching staff aware this won't be tolerated.

It's not the result, which is the main problem. It was the mentality and tactics by playing for a draw at Hannover.