2018-19 Bundesliga Matchday 1: Borussia Dortmund vs RB Leipzig

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by BVBFNM, Aug 25, 2018.

1. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Tomorrow marks the start of our Bundesliga campaign under Lucien Favre, a coach who's never challenged for league titles and has been humilliated in Europe, never making it out of the group stage of the Champions League and only making it as far as the last 32 of the Europa League, plus we will be without a proper striker despite having seven months to find one, a midfielder who's spent the last few years of his career toiling in the lower half of the table trying to keep Werder Bremen afloat, and another who wasted his prime years as a footballer playing in Russia and China. Hooray!!!

RB Leipzig have already played six competitive matches, so I predict a 3-0 win for them.

Here goes nothing.

chewz repped this.
  2. dips82

dips82 Member+

Oct 11, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is Marius Wolf fit to play tomorrow? He will be Dortmund's trump card this season

3. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Let’s get this season underway!

We are going to surprise some people.

Heja BVB!

4. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    With any luck, well surprise the local fan base, by eventually proving them how handicapped this team is thanx to their god and savior aki watzke

5. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    I'll bet some of you are a blast at parties ...pffffft

MtnGardener and hava repped this.
  6. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Lineup:
    Bürki
    LP Akanji Diallo Schmelzer
    Dahoud Witsel Delaney
    Pulisic Philipp Reus

The Fürth game showed that the team still needs time. Makes a good start into the season even more important

7. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    An expected and fairly safe lineup for a big game. He has gone with experience and defensive stability. I can't complain, because Leipzig is a very tough game.

I imagine even in the future, Weigl will come in for Delaney, but that will be the lineup for tough games. It is too early to replace the full backs, but that is a must.

It's very worrying that Weilg is not on the bench though. I have a bad feeling he is going to be sold to PSG. On the other hand interesting Werner does not start. I guess both these young German stars have their futures in doubt.

8. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Well that's not good

9. funkadellik

funkadellik Member

Oct 4, 2015
    What the heck!!! 0-1 in the first minute!!!

10. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not sure Leipzig can continue this kind of pressure for 90 minutes - I am afraid that their other option would make it harder though; parking the bus.

11. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Dahoud equalizes just as we were getting stronger. We had a bad start into the first part of the game.

12. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Bürki with a great save after just a minute earlier, he looked bad in what should have been a normal clearance.

13. BVBinLeeds

BVBinLeeds Member

Oct 5, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Defence, as per, look more wobbly than Jelly, Bürki (aside from the good 1 on 1 save) still doesn’t have a strong sense of self confidence., aside from that, we look okay?

14. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    We take the lead. Own goal.
    I have to rewatch what lead to the freekick. At first view, it looked like a dive from Pulisic. If the tackle hits the player, it's a really bad foul so I take it.

Witsel with the 3:1, really nice goal. I hope we don't find a way to still screw it up.

15. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Guess you crappy party people feel bad still about the game today ?

16. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    3-1 nice ball in on the corner for pulisic and after great save the rebound goes in.

17. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That escalated quickly...

18. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    That header was a thing of beauty.

19. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Great selection from Favre. This was going to be a war and he picked a team ready for a fight and fighting they are.

Patrick167 repped this.
  20. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    We were clearly second best in the first 15 minutes but turned it around. I don't think we were that much better, though. Leipzig showed that they can create dangerous situations. I hope they get tired towards the end with all their travel stress the last weeks.

Witsel is clearly making us stronger. If he keeps that up, I don't want to hear anything anymore about him only playing in Russia/China. Delaney on the other side continues to test my patience. I usually want to give new players enough time but had he played like this in Bremen, he wouldn't have remained a BL player for long.

Patrick167 repped this.
  21. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Trivia: Dahoud plays in a Beatles tribute band Thursday evenings.

astrophyz, HarveyDent and Liquid1010 repped this.
  22. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Could explain his new haircut...sort of.

astrophyz repped this.
  23. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Witsel is looking like a very good signing.

As for Delaney, hopefully if we can keep Weigl, he can just be a squad player.

24. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    An excellent win and start to the season. It wasn't perfect, but lots of positives. I think Dahoud, Witsel and Weigl were the best players. I loved that Raphael came on at left back, though Schmelzer had a good game.

Yes the build up play wasn't perfect and the defence shaky, but overall there was a lot right. Delaney, Dahoud and Witsel really fought in the middle.

Delaney is a useful player to have.

Weigl and Gotze are going to have to do a lot to make this team.

25. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I think Dahoud looked really good today. He tried to take some people on 1v1 and that mostly didn't work, but he was a pest on defense, positioned well, and kept play flowing. If we get that Dahoud all season, along with that Witsel, then I think things may be better than we hoped. On the negative, Diallo and Akanji looked much less confident and capable than they are capable of. Way too many "clearances" that went straight up.

Pulisic was not able to get anything going 1v1 either. They played him tight, and fouled him a lot (though not on the one that created the free kick goal), but mostly it was down to good defense and his trying the more aggressive play (e.g. keeping the evasive touches lower and straighter). But, his corners were really good. He has a variety of deliveries that bend in ways that the defenses are having trouble tracking. Compared to last season, there are very few corners that don't lead to danger. He didn't get an assist on them today, but that is just a technicality, since they did score.

Reus is so good.

Delany was a mess at first, but he settled down and looked decent as the game wore on.

Despite giving up four goals, Leipzig looked good.

I think if we play that level defense versus Bayern we give up 3 or 4. We positioned to dare them to burn us for pace, and they had no trouble finding the pass to get it started, they just had trouble converting.

Overall, as a first game of the season it wasn't bad. Three points versus a good team after basically starting game already down 1-0. But on the field it was closer to a 2-2 draw than a 4-1 win.

Patrick167 repped this.