2018/19 Arab Club Champions Cup

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Yas-The-Gunner, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Full details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Arab_Club_Champions_Cup

The 10-team qualifying play-off has already been completed 2 months ago, Al-Nejmeh (Lebanon) and Al-Ittihad Alexandria (Egypt) advanced to the Round of 32. Each round from here is two legs (home and away), except for the final which is one match hosted in Morocco. Round of 32 begins on 31 July, which is 10 days from now, and the tournament progresses through the season until the final which is played in April 2019.

This is a huge improvement on the 2017 edition of the tournament which had far less teams and was played in just a two-week period post-season. Some of the strongest Asian and African teams are participating and hopefully will field strong teams for a tournament which has so much great history behind it. Palestine, Qatar and Yemen are the only Arab nations that have no participating clubs in the competition.

[​IMG]

2. Yas-The-Gunner

Aug 2, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Round of 32 started today, ES Setif (Algeria) beats Al-Ain (UAE) 2-1 in the first leg.

3. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Both games were played in Zagreb, I didn't know about it until the first one ended so, as a supporter of both Asian and African football, I had to use that UNIQUE occasion and see the second leg in person. I am sure this was the last time two teams from those parts of world played here. I was shocked that they played here, actually, at likely ugliest and poorest stadium in modern Europe. We have few better stadiums, Slovenia also.

There was like 150 people watching the game. 10 or so from UAE, 50 or so from Algeria (and they were pretty vocal!), 20-30 other Arab people and like 50-60 of us locals.

Al-Ain played way better but their last touch is pretty poor. I don't know why Berg did not play from start, they needed two goals. ES Setif goalkeeper saved two or three shots with nice saves. Algerian team had like one chance but they failed to take a shot at goal.

I was happy that that crook and convicted criminal that coaches Al-Ain got slapped once again.

Yas-The-Gunner repped this.